PDA

View Full Version : iPod touch + water

Blob
08-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Hello

I recently accidently got my ipod touch in contact with water. When I noticed it was in water, the screen had turned completely white - so I turned off by pressing the off button and home at the same time. I noticed a crackling thing, so it must be frying its self. I tried to cool it down by putting it outside a window, and it did by the morning. Then I put it in the airing cupboard for around 6 hours. No luck, doesnt even turn on. It is currently in a nintendo ds case with silica gel aswell. Any more ideas to make it work? It won't turn on at all, or charge. Oh yea, I looked down the jack but the litmus paper isn't red

Thanks
Ryan

lemonparty
08-05-2009, 08:28 PM
i say its dead, mine droped from a shelf that was not that much of the ground and the screen never came back on lol

Blob
08-05-2009, 08:36 PM
i say its dead, mine droped from a shelf that was not that much of the ground and the screen never came back on lol

lol, my dad rung up the apple store near us so we are taking it in and they are sending it off soon, don't know when. im just having a last attempt of recovery.

Barmi
08-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Sounds like some parts are dead, and it's not like you could have helped things by whipping the battery out. Hopefully they can fix it at a not-too-high cost.

Water doesn't like touch screens. I found that out on my first Nokia 5800. Water does not like electronics. :eusa_whis

Nick.
08-05-2009, 08:45 PM
You know I have a solution, and it's always seemed to work... don't put electronics anywhere REMOTELY near liquids - hey, I'm proof!

Blob
08-05-2009, 09:03 PM
You know I have a solution, and it's always seemed to work... don't put electronics anywhere REMOTELY near liquids - hey, I'm proof!

If only I knew that before this happened :rolleyes: :P lol

Recursion
09-05-2009, 06:49 AM
Apple won't do anything for water damage, and they have bits of metal and stuff inside that discolour when it comes into contact with water, so your screwedddddddddd

HotelUser
09-05-2009, 01:06 PM

Accidents sometimes happen, Nick.

N!ck
09-05-2009, 01:12 PM
From the crackling thing it sounds completely fubar'd.

Kyle!
09-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Apple aren't going to do anything with it if it's water contact. :(

e5
09-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Put it under a radiator/on top of one. That will dry it out. If it doesn't turn on after that, your ipod will probably have short circuted and basically screwed the wiring up.

MrPinkPanther
09-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Leave it in the airing cupboard for 3 days solid, then it might work. Radiators can damage it.

Nick.
09-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Accidents sometimes happen, Nick.
It is impossible for a liquid accident to happen if there is no liquid around ;)

e5
09-05-2009, 03:02 PM
No it can't. If you leave it there for a sensible amount of time, it won't. Thats why I said under it, so then it can't be burnt or anything.

Markeh
09-05-2009, 04:21 PM
If its crackled, its had it. My PSP crackled when that got water-damaged, that didnt work.

Leave it for a while, it might work. My PSP worked 3 years after it got damaged, so it may take a while to dry out.

e5
09-05-2009, 04:35 PM
If its crackled, its had it. My PSP crackled when that got water-damaged, that didnt work.

Leave it for a while, it might work. My PSP worked 3 years after it got damaged, so it may take a while to dry out.
Is that because you didn't try it until 3 years after? Or it just didn't work for 3 years? :P

Glasses
09-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Apple aren't going to do anything with it if it's water contact. :(
Apple won't do anything at all. You'll probably have to buy a new one like I did, because apprently i purposely kept it in my pocket whilst it was raining, shouldn't it withstand a bit of rain without dying anyway?

Markeh
09-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Is that because you didn't try it until 3 years after? Or it just didn't work for 3 years? :P

It didnt work for 3 years. I tried it every couple of months.

Nick.
09-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Apple won't do anything at all. You'll probably have to buy a new one like I did, because apprently i purposely kept it in my pocket whilst it was raining, shouldn't it withstand a bit of rain without dying anyway?
So you expect Apple to pay for your mistake of letting your iPod get water damaged? Don't think so :rolleyes:

Recursion
09-05-2009, 10:08 PM
So you expect Apple to pay for your mistake of letting your iPod get water damaged? Don't think so :rolleyes:

You should be able to keep something in your pocket in a light rain shower...

MrPinkPanther
09-05-2009, 10:11 PM
The thing is you can. Im not a big apple fan but the iPod touch definatly is durable, I always listen to it when Im walking to college and its raining. It doesn't get damaged even though its in my jeans pocket.

Nick.
09-05-2009, 11:14 PM
That's why I think there is more to the story than 'raining when in my pocket', because I listen to my iPod in my pocket when it's raining and it's fine.

clueless
10-05-2009, 12:42 AM
i dropped my ipod touch in the bath LOL RIP

it was still under guarentee and apple replaced it without question, dont say you dropped it in water tho just say it broke

Recursion
10-05-2009, 07:27 AM
i dropped my ipod touch in the bath LOL RIP

it was still under guarentee and apple replaced it without question, dont say you dropped it in water tho just say it broke

Fail to see how that works if im honest. See that bit of metal at the back of the 3.5mm jack? That discolours when wet.

Flisker
10-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Atleast mine is white still. You can always try and get it replaced and if they refuse then your stuffed but it's worth a try.

Glasses
10-05-2009, 03:28 PM
The fact is they said I damaged it on purpose.

It wasn't a light shower. It's was chucking buckets down. But the thing is my £80 mobile survived it and my £150 (I can't remember the price) ipod touch never.

Nick.
10-05-2009, 03:50 PM
The fact is they said I damaged it on purpose.

It wasn't a light shower. It's was chucking buckets down. But the thing is my £80 mobile survived it and my £150 (I can't remember the price) ipod touch never.
why would the price affect durability? :S a touch screen device is obviously not going to be able to withstand being soaked.

Recursion
10-05-2009, 04:04 PM
why would the price affect durability? :S a touch screen device is obviously not going to be able to withstand being soaked.

What does being a touch screen have anything to do with it? It's glass, if anything it should withstand it better.

Glasses
10-05-2009, 04:14 PM
You do expect something that costs more to be more durable than the less expensive one, right?

Recursion
10-05-2009, 04:20 PM
All those times you've said that you pay a higher price for Apple products because they are high qaulity too mr Nick. ;)

Awfy
10-05-2009, 04:24 PM
My iPod Nano was put through a 40 degree wash in my jean pocket. It has the same problem where the screen was white and had some rather interesting shapes appearing on the screen from time to time.

To fix it I sat it on top of my boiler for 3 days with some kitchen roll under neath it. The water slowly drained out and dried up then it was good as new only cleaner.

Nick.
10-05-2009, 04:36 PM
All those times you've said that you pay a higher price for Apple products because they are high qaulity too mr Nick. ;)
Sorry but durability and high quality are too different things. I treat my things with respect. In effect, what you're saying is that just because I paid (for example) £1500 for my iMac I should expect that if I use it in the garden when it's raining it should withstand it.

My Logitech mouse is £59, quite a lot compared to other mice, however I don't expect it to be any more durable than a £4.99 Microsoft mouse. Just like a Ferrari is probably no more durable than our VW Golf. Sorry I just don't get where you have all come to the conclusion that a higher price means more durability.

Either way, expecting an ELECTRONIC device to silly work after being soaked and blaming the manufacturer for not making a more durable device because of YOUR mistake is absolutely ridiculous!

Glasses
10-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Either way, expecting an ELECTRONIC device to silly work after being soaked and blaming the manufacturer is absolutely ridiculous!
The manufacturers should realise that it may get wet whilst someone is walking around with it as it is a bloody portable music device.

Nick.
10-05-2009, 04:43 PM
The manufacturers should realise that it may get wet whilst someone is walking around with it as it is a bloody portable music device.
What a stupid thing to say, sorry but why should manufacturers make their electronic devices water proof so you can go and walk in the rain with it. It would cost too much, then you'd moan 'OMG APPLE HAVE PUT PRICES UP AGAIN *** OMG' so in effect they cannot win. Buy a case if you plan on using it in the rain. Jesus :rolleyes:

xxMATTGxx
10-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Unless Apple say that the Apple iPod Touch can stand "Rain" then, what's your problem? Yes I can see that you all think if you pay more, you expect it to withstand the weather conditions. But that's not the point. Rain and electronics, don't go well. You should all know that?

MrPinkPanther
10-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Agreed, as i've said I reguarly use my iPod when its raining. If apple were to make it waterproof it would be more expensive and more than likely bigger. If you want to be sure that it wont get damaged then you buy a waterproof jelly case.

Glasses
10-05-2009, 04:47 PM
What a stupid thing to say, sorry but why should manufacturers make their electronic devices water proof so you can go and walk in the rain with it. It would cost too much, then you'd moan 'OMG APPLE HAVE PUT PRICES UP AGAIN *** OMG' so in effect they cannot win. Buy a case if you plan on using it in the rain. Jesus :rolleyes:
Nah, Apple would rather pump money into painting it in a paint that discolours when a drop of water hits it. Good ol' Apple!!!

Nick.
10-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Nah, Apple would rather pump money into painting it in a paint that discolours when a drop of water hits it. Good ol' Apple!!!
Sorry... what? I'm lost. :S At least make a valid point in your post, or are you just speaking rubbish now because you know I'm right?

MrPinkPanther
10-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Infact I now think this whole backpocket incident is bull. The iPhone and iPod touch are made out of roughly the same stuff right? Well watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkXlriABfOo

Nick.
10-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Infact I now think this whole backpocket incident is bull. The iPhone and iPod touch are made out of roughly the same stuff right? Well watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkXlriABfOo
Yes, except the iPhone has a hole at the top for the ear piece where you hear the caller so it it more likely to get water inside. So yes, the story about it being in whoever back pocket is bull. (Or did they forget to mention they went swimming in their clothes with the iPod touch in their pocket right before that??)

Frank459
10-05-2009, 05:24 PM
I once dropped my ipod touch into my bowl of cereal and it was fully submerged, nothing happened to it and its still completely fine, so I guess it was bad luck for yours to fry some parts I suppose.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!