PDA

View Full Version : Disabled Vet Finishes London Marathon

PaulMacC
12-05-2009, 09:00 AM
LONDON, England (CNN) -- British soldier Phil Packer was told a year ago that he would never walk again, but on Saturday he finished the London Marathon.
He completed the race 13 days after it started, walking on crutches for two miles a day -- the most his doctor would allow -- in order to raise money for charity.
http://www.gnn.com/article/disabled-vet-finishes-london-marathon/471403

What a guy :eusa_clap

Blinger1
12-05-2009, 09:02 AM
... it must have been a slow day in the news tbh, i don't find it that impressive that someone who "couldn't walk again" (clearly he can) walked for 2 miles a day.

Jackk
12-05-2009, 09:02 AM
well done for him.

flatface
12-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Yeh, I watched this on TV. Very well done to him! :)

PaulMacC
12-05-2009, 09:14 AM
... it must have been a slow day in the news tbh, i don't find it that impressive that someone who "couldn't walk again" (clearly he can) walked for 2 miles a day.
That was a year ago, he started training few months before marathon.

Blinger1
12-05-2009, 09:22 AM
That was a year ago, he started training few months before marathon.
I still don't think its that impressive. There are heaps of soldiers/people in the world who lose limbs, get told they can't do this, can't do that and do it.. what makes this guy so impressive?

It's like the special olympics, those guys have no legs/missing legs/ missing arm(s) or what ever and they don't get mentioned in the news paper.

Kieeran
12-05-2009, 10:02 AM
I still don't think its that impressive. There are heaps of soldiers/people in the world who lose limbs, get told they can't do this, can't do that and do it.. what makes this guy so impressive?

It's like the special olympics, those guys have no legs/missing legs/ missing arm(s) or what ever and they don't get mentioned in the news paper.

did you finish the marathon?

Kevin
12-05-2009, 10:03 AM
What a trooper, well done

Jord
12-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Saw him on screwattack on crutchs must of been hard

legend!

Blinger1
12-05-2009, 10:31 AM
did you finish the marathon?

Oh yeah, i just flew to england to finish a ******** marathon.

Catzsy
12-05-2009, 10:32 AM
I hope the charity are really greatful for his efforts. That takes some doing.

Wootzeh
12-05-2009, 10:40 AM

after his lower spine was badly injured in the aftermath of a rocket attack on his base in Basra, Iraq, in February 2008. The attack sent a vehicle rolling down a sand bank, striking Packer "head on" and dragging him under it.
The 36-year-old was left with no feeling or motor control in his legs, and no bladder or bowel control.

Let's see that happen to you and then 12months after you do the marathon in 13days, row the english channel to france and then clim El Capitan.

J0SH
12-05-2009, 11:32 AM
He's pro

Chaos
12-05-2009, 11:46 AM

It took him 13 days and not being able to walk properly is pretty impressive. Id like to see you do it without stopping and without the crutches at that.

Blinger1
12-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Let's see that happen to you and then 12months after you do the marathon in 13days, row the english channel to france and then clim El Capitan.
do you think he is the only person to ever become a paraplegic and then later walk 2 miles a day for 13 days? i dont care about rowing across the channel. what im saying is walking 2 miles a day for 13 days is not that impressive.

It took him 13 days and not being able to walk properly is pretty impressive. Id like to see you do it without stopping and without the crutches at that.
yes, 13 days to walk 26 miles... WITH crutches (it says) must have been hard

GommeInc
12-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Good on him, raising money for charity. Yes, he's not the only person to attempt to walk or become disabled during the war in Iraq, but at least he's attempting to do something like walk the marathon for charity. The other ones don't get mentioned, purely because there's nothing to mention, they're disabled and sit around doing nothing - harsh but true. This guy at least has done something other than sit down with his family enjoying life. Heck, he's also generated publicity for these war injured soldiers :/

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!