PDA

View Full Version : European Elections

UKIP
18-05-2009, 04:45 PM
The European Elections are due to be held on the 4th June 2009. Campaigning has already started and has been dogged by the expenses row which has engulfed the three main partys, Conservative, Labour and the Liberal Democracts. Here is a poll to see who you, if you could or even if you can, are going to or would vote.

Below are the main parties in the running and what they stand for on the European Union issue.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b6/Conservative_logo_2006.svg/250px-Conservative_logo_2006.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Conservative_logo_2006.svg)
The Conservative Party wish to re-negociate the United Kingdoms membership of the European Union, bringing back lost sovereignty to the British Parliament from Brussels.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e7/Labour_Party_2007.png/280px-Labour_Party_2007.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Labour_Party_2007.png)
The Labour Party wish to carry on as usual in Europe, favouring more intergration into the Union and support the Libson Treaty.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d3/Liberal_Democrats_UK_Logo.svg/250px-Liberal_Democrats_UK_Logo.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Liberal_Democrats_UK_Logo.svg)
The Liberal Democrats support a continuation of intergration into the European Union.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/ce/Ukip_logo.png/200px-Ukip_logo.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ukip_logo.png)
The United Kingdom Independance Party support complete withdrawal from the European Union along with more independance for local government and closer commonwealth ties.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b5/A_sunflower-Edited.png/120px-A_sunflower-Edited.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:A_sunflower-Edited.png)
The Green Party have no specific stance on Europe but appear to support closer work with the European Union on the subject of climate change.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a5/BNP_logo.svg/200px-BNP_logo.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BNP_logo.svg)
The British National Party support the complete withdrawal from the European Union to regain lost sovereignty in areas such as immigration.

The latest opinion polls show a surge in the vote for UKIP along with a very small rise in support for the Green Party and BNP. The three main partys are down in the vote but the Conservatives still hold a large lead.

Conservatives 28%
Labour 19%
Liberal Democrat 19%
UKIP 19%
Green Party 6%
BNP 3%

So in conclusion, who would get your vote and why?

Immenseman
18-05-2009, 04:47 PM
labour - i think gordon brown is a good and funny pm

brandon
18-05-2009, 04:49 PM
UKIP because I don't know much about politics and I don't wanna be in the EU:eusa_danc

scottish
18-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Labour, it's the only decent party there is ;)

Caution
18-05-2009, 04:52 PM
I've always been in favour of SNP for everything but I watched a video on UKIP's site and I'm UKIP now. :eusa_danc.

ben
18-05-2009, 05:07 PM
BNP makes longer

GommeInc
18-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Wouldn't like to say, it's between UKIP and Conservatives for me.

What are the differences between European Elections and General Elections? I always thought the General Elections would involve both :S

alexxxxx
18-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Wouldn't like to say, it's between UKIP and Conservatives for me.

What are the differences between European Elections and General Elections? I always thought the General Elections would involve both :S

Na European is for the European Parliament, a section of the European Union.

Fez
18-05-2009, 06:33 PM
I think these Local and European elections could point to where the general election next year is headed. I'm not voting for any of them, in the forum POLL of course, since I hate having a stance in politics. If I had to go for one though, it'd be the Conservatives. They make plans and promises, we don't know if they'd keep them up. But if they did, then I can see Britain making not only itself a better place: but possibly helping the world a lot lot more.

Technologic
18-05-2009, 07:17 PM
UKIP for me, europe is crap. Get us back in the trade commission

clueless
19-05-2009, 04:02 PM
i would vote labour

Frodo13.
26-05-2009, 02:13 PM
I've just turned 18 so this will be my first time voting, and I will be voting Labour. :)

Agnostic Bear
27-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Conservatives, they want to stay in the EU but take some power away from them, I'm in support of that.

GommeInc
27-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Conservatives, they want to stay in the EU but take some power away from them, I'm in support of that.
I might do that too... UKIP see like they'll do good, but there's alot of doubt in them :P

Agnostic Bear
28-05-2009, 02:13 PM
I might do that too... UKIP see like they'll do good, but there's alot of doubt in them :P

The problem with the UKIP isn't doubt, it's the amount of supporters, until they gain more and enough to push their way into power in the EU, it's not worth voting for them.

GommeInc
29-05-2009, 10:26 PM
The problem with the UKIP isn't doubt, it's the amount of supporters, until they gain more and enough to push their way into power in the EU, it's not worth voting for them.
Suppose so, it'll be like giving a child alot of power and responsibility, and they wouldn't know what to do with it or have much say outside UK borders.

Hopefully the Conservatives will do a good job. Aswell as cutting down the amount of money we give the EU, they should do something about these stupid laws and restrictions that should really only effect mainland Europe and not the UK - fishing for example, and maybe tougher laws on (im)migration would be of use, though not too tough because some migrants are actually very good and useful for this country.

Loser
29-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Anyone but BNP.

Dean
29-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Conservative :)

-:Undertaker:-
29-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Interesting, according to those results;

Pro-EU: 5
Euro-sceptic: 12

The latest poll projects the following results in the European Elections;

Conservative - 30%
UKIP - 19%
Labour - 16%
Liberal Democrat - 12%
Green - 10%
BNP - 5%

Muppet
30-05-2009, 01:15 PM
UKIP.

Or BNP. There, I've said it. Some of their policies are quite good..

30-05-2009, 02:21 PM
People who are pro-EU never seem to want to debate the European Union, I was minus repped just before in a totally different thread regarding my signature, according to him/her the EU benefits this country. I'd like to see how it benefits, so please if you believe in the EU and believe the people of this country have got it wrong, along with the people of France, Ireland the Denmark then go ahead and say it.

On Question Time the other night the panel consisted of Nigel Farage (UKIP Leader), Caroline Flint (Labour Europe Minister), the Shadow Europe Minister and others. It does seem that people have no idea the impact of the European union on our lives, and when a woman in the audience stood up and asked why unelected officals in Brussels make over 75% of our laws (that statistic was the only one carried out of its kind, by the German Government which is pro-EU) she was appalauded, because in reality no one actually knows why and how we let the EU become this powerful.

I think on June 4th in the European Elections, when eurosceptics such as UKIP and the BNP make gains it will start to drag the issue of the EU to the surface in British politics, it does make me feel much better that in 2010 when a Conservative Government enters office they have pledged to restore national sovereignty and pull out of the social/law part of the European Union, let us hope that they stick to that promise.

eight
30-05-2009, 02:48 PM
BNP Defiently!

I want to keep Britain british and kick out all these immigrants taking our jobs! :@

Take us out of EU and become independant!

BNP FTW!!! WOO :eusa_clap:eusa_danc

Fez
30-05-2009, 04:05 PM
BNP Defiently!

I want to keep Britain british and kick out all these immigrants taking our jobs! :@

The immigrants aren't taking our jobs, our government is simply sucking up to the EU and letting them take them right under our noses. It's not the immigrants' fault.

Taking us out of the EU is fair.

BNP can rot in hell for all I care.

ifuseekamy
30-05-2009, 04:39 PM
BNP Defiently!

I found a video of a BNP rally http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFG2P-toC6k

GommeInc
30-05-2009, 10:43 PM
People who are pro-EU never seem to want to debate the European Union, I was minus repped just before in a totally different thread regarding my signature, according to him/her the EU benefits this country. I'd like to see how it benefits, so please if you believe in the EU and believe the people of this country have got it wrong, along with the people of France, Ireland the Denmark then go ahead and say it.

On Question Time the other night the panel consisted of Nigel Farage (UKIP Leader), Caroline Flint (Labour Europe Minister), the Shadow Europe Minister and others. It does seem that people have no idea the impact of the European union on our lives, and when a woman in the audience stood up and asked why unelected officals in Brussels make over 75% of our laws (that statistic was the only one carried out of its kind, by the German Government which is pro-EU) she was appalauded, because in reality no one actually knows why and how we let the EU become this powerful.

I think on June 4th in the European Elections, when eurosceptics such as UKIP and the BNP make gains it will start to drag the issue of the EU to the surface in British politics, it does make me feel much better that in 2010 when a Conservative Government enters office they have pledged to restore national sovereignty and pull out of the social/law part of the European Union, let us hope that they stick to that promise.
I also question these laws.The one that baffles me (and the only one I sort of know about), are the fishing regulations. The UK has its own waters, yet the EU controls how british fishermen should fish in them. It sounds like the french fishermen don't like the EU either, judging by the protest they did by blocking the Dover/Calais ferry lanes(?).

Is the EU really just Navi Germany under a new name? I'm mildly fascinated, of course, with less Jew bashing.

30-05-2009, 10:58 PM
I also question these laws.The one that baffles me (and the only one I sort of know about), are the fishing regulations. The UK has its own waters, yet the EU controls how british fishermen should fish in them. It sounds like the french fishermen don't like the EU either, judging by the protest they did by blocking the Dover/Calais ferry lanes(?).

Is the EU really just Navi Germany under a new name? I'm mildly fascinated, of course, with less Jew bashing.

Oh i'd say the EU isn't even Nazi Germany under a new name, i'd say it is seriously very similar to the Soviet Union, both were never elected, the commission has all the control with the Parliament having limited powers and is dominated by certain countrys, the EU being dominated by the French and Germans but mostly the Germans and the Soviet Union being dominated by Russia.

At last people are now starting to notice and question, why are we being governed by unelected foreigners who have not got our best interests at heart?

You are indeed fully correct on the EU fishing policy, which fisherman from both sides of the Channel in agreement that the policy is not in their best interests. The same with the common agricultural policy, when the United Kingdom signed up to the common agriculture policy farms went bust overnight as they simply could not compete with cheaper varietys from over Europe.

The European Union simply will not take No for an answer, and if you challenge a pro-EU person on we should have a say over the EU/Lisbon Treaty the common retort is "people aren't correctly informed enough to make a choice" - that is the biggest insult any electorate could recieve, and especially when the Labour Minister for Europe, Caroline Flint admitted she hadn't read the Lisbon Treaty herself!

The French said NO
The Dutch said NO
The Irish said NO
The rest of Europe is being prevented from say NO

As always, the European Union will not stop until we give the 'correct answer'.

GommeInc
30-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Well I don't know who to vote for, but I'm going to vote for the party(s) who aren't pro-EU, not because I don't like the EU... I just see no purpose and no-where seems to mention the pros of being in the EU. As far as I see it, it strips countries of their individual beliefs and needs, aswell as their history and power.

Good to see the dutch against it, are they thinking of pulling out too? They've already got alot of respect from me anyway, they could always try for more respect :P

I'd imagine europe would be a better place without the EU, they don't have to waste millions on something that technically doesn't really exist for the greater good.

EDIT: If people aren't being "correctly informed" then correctly inform them, sheesh. No wonder they're not being taken seriously and have a negative few.

Heart Break Kid
30-05-2009, 11:48 PM
if i was old enuf id vote for the jury team
as my mams in it xD

31-05-2009, 09:00 AM
According to AbsurdEU which is linked from the UKIP website, the following are facts;

There are EU regulations on the green-ness of the person on the pedestrian crossing lights.
There are three seperate EU directives on the loudness of lawnmowers.
There are EU laws on what legally constitutes an island- anything with a bridge to it is not an island, nor is it an island if it is less than 1km from the mainland, it is not an island if it has less than 50 permanent residents or if it contains an EU capital city.
Not an April fools I can assure you. A recent report commissioned by the European Union aims to take control of OUR Naval bases. Another misplaced military ambition from Brussels.
Bristol market trader Tim Down, 53, was forced to bin 5000 kiwi fruits worth £1,000 because they were 1mm smaller than EU rules allow. He was forbidden from even giving away the perfectly healthy fruit.
Let the question be asked; is that really worth £40 million per day?

alexxxxx
31-05-2009, 09:48 AM
According to AbsurdEU which is linked from the UKIP website, the following are facts;

There are EU regulations on the green-ness of the person on the pedestrian crossing lights.

And? Seems fine to me. Some people are colourblind or have issues with their site which could mean that differences in the colour of the light is potentially dangerous.

There are three seperate EU directives on the loudness of lawnmowers.

Consumer protection/safety/noise pollution.

There are EU laws on what legally constitutes an island- anything with a bridge to it is not an island, nor is it an island if it is less than 1km from the mainland, it is not an island if it has less than 50 permanent residents or if it contains an EU capital city.

It's more of a clafication than a law and I assume this is to prevent delivery firms or postal firms charging extra for an 'island service' to people who live on bridged islands or governments not providing services to those living on islands.

Not an April fools I can assure you. A recent report commissioned by the European Union aims to take control of OUR Naval bases. Another misplaced military ambition from Brussels.

It won't happen.

Bristol market trader Tim Down, 53, was forced to bin 5000 kiwi fruits worth £1,000 because they were 1mm smaller than EU rules allow. He was forbidden from even giving away the perfectly healthy fruit.

It is rather stupid, yes. But I guess the idea is that they wish to standardise a kiwi fruit so consumers can expect the same thing.

'Un-AbsurdEU' laws include unrestricted movement of goods and services, not that absurd of a law in my opinion. Maybe the Data Protection Directive counts as a fairly decent law. 2 million people in the UK rely on the free movement of labour for their jobs. I know people who need to travel the whole of the union for their jobs, bye-bye to foreign companies based here that need that freedom of goods and labour, bye-bye to those jobs, bye-bye to further economic prosperity. Once the trade barriers have gone up, goodbye to our largest export and import partner. We'd have to take back millions who have moved abroad to spain and france (who are generally of the older generation) who would not be eligible to live there. We might need visas to go on holiday. In my opinion it would be disasterous. We've experienced fairly decent economic growth over the last 25 years, why risk that? I think it would be absurd to leave.

Let the question be asked; is that really worth £40 million per day?Yes. Yes it is. Businesses which export would say so too. And remember alot of that money comes back to us and some of the money spent would have to spent on similiar nationawide schemes.

And seeing as from http://www.politics-europe.co.uk/, we pay €100 each a year. Less than council tax.

31-05-2009, 10:18 AM
And? Seems fine to me. Some people are colourblind or have issues with their site which could mean that differences in the colour of the light is potentially dangerous.

In your conclusion then, we can't decide that ourselves and we need the EU to tell us what green is wrong and what green is wrong when we have had traffic lights for the past 100+ years and invented traffic lights.

Consumer protection/safety/noise pollution.

We need the EU to tell us how loud our lawnmowers can be? - we are incapable of making that legislation ourselves in one of the oldest democracies in the world?

It's more of a clafication than a law and I assume this is to prevent delivery firms or postal firms charging extra for an 'island service' to people who live on bridged islands or governments not providing services to those living on islands.

No, it is pointless and costly legislation that the EU throws out everyday, it has no relavence at all to anything and is no use to anyone. We don't need a clafication on what an island is, thank you very much, especially as we live on one.

It won't happen.

Just like the EU superstate won't happen?, yet a embelm, anthem and so forth were attempted to be pushed through and will be pushed through in the future. This report by the EU itself apparently aims to take control of our naval bases, so it looks as if the EU has some military plans on its mind.

It is rather stupid, yes. But I guess the idea is that they wish to standardise a kiwi fruit so consumers can expect the same thing.

Consumers have been coping fine while shopping for the past hundred or more years without the EU telling us our Kiwis and carrots are 1mm too big. Not only is that stupid and an incredible waste of money, it also shows what kind of state the EU wants to become, big state small people.

'Un-AbsurdEU' laws include unrestricted movement of goods and services, not that absurd of a law in my opinion. Maybe the Data Protection Directive counts as a fairly decent law. 2 million people in the UK rely on the free movement of labour for their jobs. I know people who need to travel the whole of the union for their jobs, bye-bye to foreign companies based here that need that freedom of goods and labour, bye-bye to those jobs, bye-bye to further economic prosperity. Once the trade barriers have gone up, goodbye to our largest export and import partner. We'd have to take back millions who have moved abroad to spain and france (who are generally of the older generation) who would not be eligible to live there. We might need visas to go on holiday. In my opinion it would be disasterous. We've experienced fairly decent economic growth over the last 25 years, why risk that? I think it would be absurd to leave.

Hang on, so we only move around the EU and nowhere else? - you do know thousands if not millions of people travel all around the world regarding business, my teachers husband travels to Nigeria and so forth on business, last time I checked Nigeria was not in the European Union.

This is all some excuse for creating a large superstate which no one actually wants. You do not need to be governed by the EU to trade with the European Union, why do you and eurocrats not understand this? -individual trade and other deals would be undertaken with European countrys concerning trade and movement of goods and people just like it was before the European Union.

Farmers and fishermen from both side of the channel would strongly disagree with you that the EU has been great, I haven't seen overwhelming support for the EU from business either, a lot of EU regulation actually costs business money as they have to implement them directives from the EU, the examples AbsurdEU is the kind of petty and pointless legisation businesses have to pass from Brussels.

This data protection directive could be passed by our own government and we could choose elements of the directive on our own so that it benefits this country to the best of its ability, so i'm afraid the EU having some decent laws in your eyes is an argument with no foundation as it could easily and should be passed in our own parliament, as have our soverign laws for the past 300 or more years.

We might need visas to go on holiday? - oh my god what is the world coming to!? - personally if it improves the safety of people travelling to my country and other countrys then i'm all for filling in an extra few sheets for a visa just like the system the United States has in place. Basing your argument on the fact that we may have to fill in some more paperwork is proposterous, i'd rather do that than be governed by a load of foreign, faceless, left-wing, unelected eurocrats in Brussles, along with paying a £40 million daily bill for membership.

Yes. Yes it is. Businesses which export would say so too. And remember alot of that money comes back to us and some of the money spent would have to spent on similiar nationawide schemes.

I give you £1, you spend 50 pence on me - does that make sense when I could spend the £1 on myself and get double the benefits what you gave me? - it is the same with the EU, so we are basically handing over billions of pounds in our money, having it taxed by the EU and then having what is left of that money handed back to us.

Technologic
31-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Oh bloody hell.. The EU have gone and accepted Spain's request for control over Gibraltar's territorial waters

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!