PDA

View Full Version : Opera for Windows/Linux

Deleon89
21-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Opera is the third most used browser used on thesitewizard.com and thefreecountry.com, and is particularly popular among the seasoned webmaster community.

Opera 6, 7, 8 and 9 can co-exist on one computer. If you want to install multiple versions on Windows, simply put them in separate directories. No extra steps are required. I don't know if this also works with earlier versions of Opera, since I don't bother to check my site with those.

As for Linux, at the time I write this, I have only tested version 6 of Opera on this platform, so I have no idea if two versions can co-exist here.

You can obtain Opera for any of its supported operating systems from Opera's website. To get older versions, just navigate to the downloads page and click the "Opera archives" link.

In all Flash Website Design (http://www.intellixmedia.com/flash-web-design.htm) sites, at the time of this writing, IE users comprise the majority of visitors, with the number more or less divided between IE 6 and IE 7.

My experience in coding the recent new designs for thesitewizard.com and thefreecountry.com, both of which depend heavily upon Cascading Style Sheets for layout, is that IE 6 is a very different animal from the other browsers or even the later incarnations of IE. Contrary to what you may expect, what works in IE 7, Opera, Firefox and Safari does not necessarily work in IE 6. It seems that IE 6 has a number of bugs in its CSS box model, causing sites that are correctly coded to break under that browser. This is not to say that version 7 has all of IE's notorious CSS bugs fixed. It is thus important that webmasters install multiple versions of IE.

Unlike Opera, Firefox and Netscape, you can only install one version of IE in a single installation of Windows. The bulk of IE's code does not get installed into its own subdirectory (or folder) but into Windows' system directory. Although there have been solutions available for some time among the webmaster community for installing different versions of IE into the same Windows installation, there are peculiarities in the end result and the IEs you get from that behave slightly differently from the standard version when installed normally.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!