View Full Version : Hauppauge HD PVR

[Chris]
21-05-2009, 03:26 PM
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

And are they good for 360 capturing?
Worth The Money?

J0SH
21-05-2009, 05:48 PM
I've got one, quality is amazing and yes they're worth the money.

youtube.com/Joshsyndrome check the quality.

GoldenMerc
21-05-2009, 06:09 PM
the quality may be good but god knows why you'd buy it just for youtube video's which dont make you profit ;s

Pazza
21-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Personally, if its a hobby then you would be best off with Dazzle, or Easycap as their cheap, and still good quality, if you know what your doing.

If your going to make money from it, go ahead!

J0SH
21-05-2009, 07:26 PM
the quality may be good but god knows why you'd buy it just for youtube video's which dont make you profit ;s

You can record Sky with it too, and if he gets popular on YouTube he could apply for partner then get paid to make videos, or if he is popular he could put a trailer on YouTube and link them to the blip.tv video and you make money from blip.tv

YouTubers love HD so if you wanna get big on YouTube get a Hauppauge, lol.

[Chris]
21-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Hmm, it looks good josh.

It records in 720p. I know that

Hmm, so time to save <3

J0SH
21-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Comes with double ended compoment cables, and then you put your Xbox ones in the back of the Hauppauge, double ended ones in TV and Hauppauge, then it loops the signal :)

[Chris]
21-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Comes with double ended compoment cables, and then you put your Xbox ones in the back of the Hauppauge, double ended ones in TV and Hauppauge, then it loops the signal :)

Yeah, i know that now haha, i looked it up. The quality is immense. Whats the FrameRate like on 360-PVR

J0SH
21-05-2009, 09:52 PM
I'm not sure but it's really smooth, you can't play looking at your computer though, there's a 2 second delay :P They're £170 from Play.com I think, easy to set up etc.

[Chris]
21-05-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm not sure but it's really smooth, you can't play looking at your computer though, there's a 2 second delay :P They're £170 from Play.com I think, easy to set up etc.

Ah, yeah i know about not on the laptop haha. It all depends really.. But i have

XBOX
|
TV

so it'll be

XBOX
|
PVR
|
TV

Uhh, im sure most xbox games run around 30FPS, And the PVR records at 30

What about Sizes? (MB) For around.. A.. 10min Video, 720p, Max quality?

J0SH
21-05-2009, 11:00 PM
They're not too big, I don't stop and start the recordings because they get generated with names by the time and date I just record for like an hour then edit it out and render it in Sony Vegas, but if you're going to upload the raw file to YouTube it's about 300 or so MB's but if you record for a hour or so it goes upto 3GB :P

You better torrent and crack Sony Vegas in advance, it's a big hassle with the raw file you may aswell just record for a hour then edit it ;)

[Chris]
21-05-2009, 11:07 PM
They're not too big, I don't stop and start the recordings because they get generated with names by the time and date I just record for like an hour then edit it out and render it in Sony Vegas, but if you're going to upload the raw file to YouTube it's about 300 or so MB's but if you record for a hour or so it goes upto 3GB :P

You better torrent and crack Sony Vegas in advance, it's a big hassle with the raw file you may aswell just record for a hour then edit it ;)

Im On OSX kthanks. So yeah, Im sure IMOVIE will do it just as well tbh.. i dont really want to add uber fancy/annoying transitions :D

Well, its going to be game demos, montages ect ect, You know the drill.

I also have a feeling im going to need an External HDD haha

J0SH
21-05-2009, 11:20 PM
I just use Sony Vegas for rendering the videos and editing montages really :P My friend uses iMovie www.youtube.com/Ve3troGamesMedia he has a different HD capture card that's more expensive so I guess that program will work fine though.

[Chris]
21-05-2009, 11:26 PM
I just use Sony Vegas for rendering the videos and editing montages really :P My friend uses iMovie www.youtube.com/Ve3troGamesMedia he has a different HD capture card that's more expensive so I guess that program will work fine though.

Thats nice quality. Tbh, im sure imovie will do fine tbh.. if it doesnt i'll torrent FinalCut Express

Also, does it just get saved as a (.?) file where-ever? does it need a special program to view and record and that?

brandon
21-05-2009, 11:43 PM
;5812913']Thats nice quality. Tbh, im sure imovie will do fine tbh.. if it doesnt i'll torrent FinalCut Express

Also, does it just get saved as a (.?) file where-ever? does it need a special program to view and record and that?
Gets recorded as a .M2TS file

[Chris]
21-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Hmm, do they work with IMovie 09?

IF not, how can i convert them into a IMovie-readable format? - DIVX i presume?

J0SH
22-05-2009, 02:41 AM
iMovie should support HD format, after all Mac's are built for editing :P If I ever wanna watch the videos I'll play it back in VLC but since you've got Mac QuickTime does the job.

[Chris]
22-05-2009, 02:39 PM
iMovie should support HD format, after all Mac's are built for editing :P If I ever wanna watch the videos I'll play it back in VLC but since you've got Mac QuickTime does the job.

Yeah, good point haha. Time to get saving up!

GoldenMerc
22-05-2009, 05:06 PM
crazy for paying that much when you wont earn anything back, the dazzle is a reasonable price for a reasonable product don't see the problem with it.

[Chris]
22-05-2009, 05:13 PM
crazy for paying that much when you wont earn anything back, the dazzle is a reasonable price for a reasonable product don't see the problem with it.

Tbh, i'd pay +£100 for better quality. And you can make money out of things like this.

J0SH
22-05-2009, 06:36 PM

It isn't even a lot of money.. If you read the first page, you can make money from it. If people also enjoy your videos, they'll sponsor you and pay you to make videos..

GoldenMerc
22-05-2009, 06:37 PM
but will you make all the money back thats the thing your paying £160 for the actually system right?
Plus time? unless its a hobby which i suppose is okay your still killing yourself of wasting money really.

J0SH
22-05-2009, 06:40 PM
You're acting as if it costs 5,000 it's only a meastly £170 quid. If it's a hobby that isn't even a lot of money, the capture card is HD, Dazzle is about £60, I'd happily pay double the price for HD :P It also comes handy, you can record Sky+ too and then save films or whatever on your computer then put them on Megavideo, get clicks and make money? Blip.tv gives you money too.

GoldenMerc
22-05-2009, 06:42 PM
£170 that could be spent on things for you to enjoy >?

PaulMacC
22-05-2009, 06:43 PM
youtube.com/BlameTruth
He started uploading his videos to Blip.tv over a month ago and has already earned enough money to buy a Hauppauge, so £180 a month aint something I'd say no to.

J0SH
22-05-2009, 06:45 PM
If I enjoy recording me playing games for people to enjoy on YouTube why not, it's a hobby. That's like you spending money on a motorbike when you can walk for free? STOP WASTING MONEY ON VECHICLES!!

[Chris]
22-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Fuel Also.

And yeah.. At the moment i've got £100. does anyone know if MicroDirect takes euros

J0SH
22-05-2009, 08:04 PM
I have no idea, but here's some decent links to buy from.

http://www.dabs.com/products/hauppauge-hd-pvr-58XW.html?q=Hauppauge%20HD%20PVR

£165+ odd.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/7791395/-/Product.html?searchstring=Hauppauge+HD+PVR&searchsource=0

£150 :O

[Chris]
22-05-2009, 08:17 PM
I have no idea, but here's some decent links to buy from.

http://www.dabs.com/products/hauppauge-hd-pvr-58XW.html?q=Hauppauge%20HD%20PVR

£165+ odd.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/7791395/-/Product.html?searchstring=Hauppauge+HD+PVR&searchsource=0

£150 :O

Yeah, its £166.99 at Microdirect and their warehouse is near to me, so thats easier than online.

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/39788/Hauppauge-HD-PVR-External-High-Definition-video

Whats the graphical lag like?

J0SH
22-05-2009, 08:24 PM
There isn't really any lag in the recordings, play back is a bit choppy on VLC but it's perfect on YouTube :P

[Chris]
22-05-2009, 08:33 PM
There isn't really any lag in the recordings, play back is a bit choppy on VLC but it's perfect on YouTube :P

Ah, ok then. I have noticed SLIGHT jumps on Youtube, maybe thats just youtube but eitherway its only a little jump

What about Xbox > PVR > TV lag?

J0SH
22-05-2009, 08:41 PM
The loop of the connection is fine, no lag :P

[Chris]
22-05-2009, 08:50 PM
The loop of the connection is fine, no lag :P

Ah, okay then <3 thats good.

Should be going to get one tomorrow <3

PaulMacC
23-05-2009, 06:42 AM
If you want to watch the clips perfectly on your PC you need a good processor, my old pc couldnt run it but my new one with a quad processor can. The theatre program they give you scales down the quality just a tiny bit and lets you watch it perfectly but it takes a while to load up.

[Chris]
23-05-2009, 03:22 PM
I've got it all set up now, just installing this stupid program - EyeTv

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!