PDA

View Full Version : Annoying start-up glitch?

Wolverhampton
26-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Yeah, dual booted Windows 7 with XP earlier, all works fine, accept on boot start-up, I choose XP to boot, and then I get this Window:

WARNING BIG IMAGE:
http://istealer3.drivehq.com/images/XPGLITCH.jpg
(sorry for poor quality/how big the image is)
So yeah, as you can see, it gives me to options of the exact same options saying "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" - it's almost like their is a dual-boot inside my dual boot, it's very strange.

Any ideas on how I can get rid of this? I have tried to Google it but it's pretty hard to find something on it...

Thanks for all your help and +REP to any solutions :D.

N!ck
26-05-2009, 12:23 PM
So you get a screen with a Windows 7, Windows XP option and when you go on XP you get a Windows XP, Windows XP option? Can you boot into 7? What is the difference if you choose either of the XP options?

Wolverhampton
26-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Windows 7 option works fine and boots as normal.

And yes, when I got onto the XP option, I get that screen in the image. I forgot to say, when I boot into the top Windows XP option (as seen in image) it works fine and boots into XP, however, If I choose the bottom option, nothing happens, and I have to force my laptop to shutdown.

Hope that helps... :)

Judge Judy
26-05-2009, 12:34 PM
I have had the same problem but with Vista (note I didn't dual boot). It showed Vista or Vista. Anyway my fix was go on

Run -> msconfig
Once you're on msconfig goto boot.
http://garethh.host22.com/images/msconfig.jpg
Where it says on my image Microsoft Windows Vista it *should* on yours say Windows XP Professional twice. You need to see which one actually goes to your XP or if both do you then delete one of the Windows XP Professional.
This process could be risky so erm, be careful :P

Wolverhampton
26-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Ok, thank you for that, my XP one was slightly different to yours, so I had to edit the boot.ini file manually, and I think i've fixed it, going to restart now, will edit post if it works.

EDIT: got to wait for my Windows Update to finish, ugh.

Wolverhampton
26-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Right, windows update has now finished, i've restarted, and I'm happy to say that it's fixed! :)

Thank you Judge Judy, I will be +REPing you ASAP. :).

Thanks to all who posted ;)

Judge Judy
26-05-2009, 04:43 PM
It's no problem & you're welcome xD

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!