PDA

View Full Version : What is the best phone out??

bengreg
26-05-2009, 10:18 PM
I have a contract so i can get any phone i want i was planning to get the
N96 but apparently they are overpriced and not decent at the moment im favoured to the blackberry storm

Barmi
29-05-2009, 08:34 AM
I have a contract so i can get any phone i want i was planning to get the
N96 but apparently they are overpriced and not decent at the moment im favoured to the blackberry storm
Don't get the Blackberry Storm. Seriously, it is an epic failure.

Check out the LG Arena, Samsung Tocco Ultra and some of the latest HTC phones (I think the Touch Pro 2 will be coming out soon). The Palm Pre will be released here, but likely not until Q4.

Wolverhampton
29-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Do NOT get the N96, my mum had one and it was a slow as pouring ketchup from a glass bottle. If anything wait another month and get the N97.

Google it, you won't be disappointed.

MrPinkPanther
29-05-2009, 11:18 AM
If you want a smartphone then I'd say wait until July and get the new iPhone (If its announced) or wait until the end of the year and get a Palm Pre.

GoldenMerc
29-05-2009, 11:20 AM
G1 for the win!

Wolverhampton
29-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Either get the Palm Pre, new iPhone (if it comes out) or the N97.

Barmi
29-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Oh yes, how could I forget the N97?!

FlyDuo I could be wrong but it sounds like he is on Vodafone, so the iPhone is a nono.

Wolverhampton
29-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Yes indeed how could you forget it! :P just hope it isn't a flop like the N96 was.

MrPinkPanther
29-05-2009, 11:35 AM
FlyDuo I could be wrong but it sounds like he is on Vodafone, so the iPhone is a nono.
o2s iPhone exclusivity is due to expire in July apparently and considering the Palm Pre is going onto o2 aswell its likely that it won't be renewed and the new iPhone will be on multiple networks :). This is of course all based off of speculation but the speculation about the iPhone always seems to end up being right.

Wolverhampton
29-05-2009, 11:37 AM
The iPhone will be on o2 I can assure you, although their will always be an unlock for the iPhone down the line somewhere.

Wootzeh
29-05-2009, 11:39 AM
palm pre, but that isn't out yet =]

n fu yamyam, n96 is beast

Wolverhampton
29-05-2009, 11:48 AM
fu git!! :P

my moms N96 was **** and it got sold to mazuma mobile.

MrPinkPanther
29-05-2009, 12:15 PM
The iPhone will be on o2 I can assure you.
No theres a high chance it won't be. When the iPhone was bought to the UK o2 signed a contract with Apple agreeing o2s exclusivity to the device. Apple did this same agreement with other Mobile Phone companies throughout Europe (AT&T got a special longer deal). These deals are rumoured to expire in July when the new iPhone comes out. Apple are unlikely to renew this deal because the iPhone has been so successful, the only reason it did it in the first place was to make sure that it was heavily promoted, it would make more profits if it were on other networks too so that is what it is most likely to do.

Wolverhampton
29-05-2009, 12:21 PM
True, o2 did make a hell of a lot of money out of both iPhones... would be surprised if the 'new' iPhone isn't on o2 though, that's IF there is a new one coming though.

Josh-H
29-05-2009, 12:33 PM
I have an N95 and if that's anything to go by then I DO NOT RECCOMEND the N96. I really don't like my N95. Slow, crashy and clunky software. Symbian S60 is crap tbh.

If price is no problem, go iPhone 3G :) New one out in June though so hang on a while..

Otherwise, have you looked at the Blackberry Curve? Or TMobile G1

MrPinkPanther
29-05-2009, 12:35 PM
True, o2 did make a hell of a lot of money out of both iPhones... would be surprised if the 'new' iPhone isn't on o2 though, that's IF there is a new one coming though.
It's not based on how much o2 makes, it's based on how much Apple makes. Its Apple who decides where it goes.

Barmi
29-05-2009, 12:42 PM
I have an N95 and if that's anything to go by then I DO NOT RECCOMEND the N96. I really don't like my N95. Slow, crashy and clunky software. Symbian S60 is crap tbh.
Symbian isn't, but the implementation on that phone is. My 5800 runs off Symbian and it is not slow, clunky or crashy. The N97 will also use Symbian, and a couple of the newly-shown Sony Ericsson phones.

The N95 and N96 are just very bloated, over-sized phones with horrible battery life.

Recursion
29-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Either get the Palm Pre, new iPhone (if it comes out) or the N97.

I agree with this guy for once :P Any of those or the G1 v2 when it comes out later this year.

My dad got an N96 from work, albeit he did have it as soon as it was out so it still had software bugs, but he gave it back, got his N95 back and then got the N71 which I hear is very nice too.

Wolverhampton
29-05-2009, 01:35 PM
I actually agree with everything Tawm said above, my mum had same problem, but even after firmware updates on the N96 the phone was still as slow as hell and buggy... And yes the N95 and N71 (mate had one) are very nice phones.

The Professor
02-06-2009, 09:38 PM
HTC magic if you wanna stand out. Just don't get a storm!

Mentor
02-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Im still looking out for an android implementation that combines not sucking with not being down right ugly(g1 isnt a looker :p)

As has been said above, the g1 v2 does look to make quite an improvement on this :) But for now, i think iphone does still have the lead in terms of whats actually a better phone, though equally isnt necessary the best bang for your buck with its still pretty hefty price tag and slightly OTT contract costs.

Wengles
05-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Apple Iphone 3g.

Wolverhampton
05-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Wait for the new iPhone at the end of this month, and also wait for the N97 at the end of this month, those two phones are going to be simply awesome.

Arron
05-06-2009, 02:07 PM
If you want one now try out the Nokia E71, it's what I have :)

Wolverhampton
05-06-2009, 03:10 PM
The E71 is v.nice.

DMB-Hosting
09-06-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm waiting for the HTC TP2 or the Acer M900

I'm pretty sure the Acer M900 will be vodafone too :)

AlexOC
09-06-2009, 05:34 PM
i8910i HD

Is what i'm getting :)

Amazing phone, out on orange, out on most networks late this month, Expensive though.

Wolverhampton
09-06-2009, 05:40 PM
get the new iphone 3gs

The Professor
09-06-2009, 06:28 PM
i8910i HD

Is what i'm getting :)

Amazing phone, out on orange, out on most networks late this month, Expensive though.

Wow I was so confused when you said that. Why they dropped the Omnia name from it I'll never understand, i8910i sounds so stupid.

AlexOC
09-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Wow I was so confused when you said that. Why they dropped the Omnia name from it I'll never understand, i8910i sounds so stupid.

Yes, Omnia HD sounds more interesting, but they dropped it because the HD is running Symbian and the Omnia running Windows, So they have little in common.

Now just a name full of numbers

Also its i8910, i added another i by accident.

Wengles
18-06-2009, 10:04 AM
The N97 Just looks like a total fail.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/8105496.stm

Still not in the same league.
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/8105496.stm)

Recursion
18-06-2009, 06:09 PM
The N97 looks like total fail? It's one of the most anticipated phones in this day and age.

Dan!
18-06-2009, 06:58 PM
The N97 looks like total fail? It's one of the most anticipated phones in this day and age.

i agree it not a total fail but on the other hand im not sure i like it.

Wengles
19-06-2009, 08:09 AM

It might be. But as far as Nokia even thinking that it (judging by that review) could challenge apple's iphone; they're deluded.

Recursion
19-06-2009, 08:48 AM
That's not Nokia challenging it though, that was the BBC's own review.

Wengles
19-06-2009, 01:02 PM
That's not Nokia challenging it though, that was the BBC's own review.

I understand that. But that's cearly what they're trying to do with a touchscreeen phone. They're not likely to say it, but that's obviously what they hope to do.

Barmi
20-06-2009, 04:56 PM
The N97 Just looks like a total fail.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/8105496.stm

Still not in the same league.
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/8105496.stm)
How exactly is it a total fail? It looks like an excellent handset. It's been highly anticipated for some time, and the review is positive.

I understand that. But that's cearly what they're trying to do with a touchscreeen phone. They're not likely to say it, but that's obviously what they hope to do.
You are deluded if you think all touch screen phones are out there to challenge the iPhone. There were touch screen phones before the iPhone, and there have been excellent ones since. The two phones are very different in focus.

I love Apple products (heck, I use a Mac), but I hate fanboism. The iPhone is not the ultimate phone for everyone, so please don't act like it is. Did you ever think that someone might want a higher resolution camera, or has a preference for a physical keyboard?

Dan!
20-06-2009, 07:40 PM
How exactly is it a total fail? It looks like an excellent handset. It's been highly anticipated for some time, and the review is positive.

You are deluded if you think all touch screen phones are out there to challenge the iPhone. There were touch screen phones before the iPhone, and there have been excellent ones since. The two phones are very different in focus.

I love Apple products (heck, I use a Mac), but I hate fanboism. The iPhone is not the ultimate phone for everyone, so please don't act like it is. Did you ever think that someone might want a higher resolution camera, or has a preference for a physical keyboard?

Well Said +Rep

Nxrissa
20-06-2009, 08:00 PM
the iphone is amazing in many ways but in some aspects it like downgrading.

Wengles
21-06-2009, 01:09 PM

If what you're saying is right. Then it would be odd for most technology reviewers to endlessly compare touchscreen phones (Like the way they have for the n97) to the iphone wouldn't it? But they do. Because it IS the best touch screen phone on the market, and sales reflect that. It's totaly revolutionised the way mobile phones are and used.

And I will argue that it is the ultimate phone for MOST people because there is frankly very little you can't do on it. So I think I will continue to follow the example and compare touchscreen phones to the iphone until one comes along that beats it; in its app support, interface and design and the n97 fails to.

Awkward handset.

Recursion
22-06-2009, 06:50 AM
If what you're saying is right. Then it would be odd for most technology reviewers to endlessly compare touchscreen phones (Like the way they have for the n97) to the iphone wouldn't it? But they do. Because it IS the best touch screen phone on the market, and sales reflect that. It's totaly revolutionised the way mobile phones are and used.

And I will argue that it is the ultimate phone for MOST people because there is frankly very little you can't do on it. So I think I will continue to follow the example and compare touchscreen phones to the iphone until one comes along that beats it; in its app support, interface and design and the n97 fails to.

Awkward handset.

Woah hang on a minute here, I would like an iPhone but it doesn't have the features I want, on the network I might want to be on, and so it isn't the best. The best phone for me is the phone that has all the features I want, the way I want it to look, and for me, the N97 would be a huge hit.

This is your typical fanboy post, fanboy of the iPhone, go around posting meaningless crap like this.

Just get out of this thread, seriously.

Wengles
22-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Woah hang on a minute here, I would like an iPhone but it doesn't have the features I want, on the network I might want to be on, and so it isn't the best. The best phone for me is the phone that has all the features I want, the way I want it to look, and for me, the N97 would be a huge hit.

This is your typical fanboy post, fanboy of the iPhone, go around posting meaningless crap like this.

Just get out of this thread, seriously.

Well don't just say that, go ahead and name some of the things it doesnt have that you want. Because I think you'll be pushed. But you make a good point, it might not be what you want, or best for you. But overall, I would imagine the general consensus from iphone users/owners is that it is the best phone there is. Otherwise there wouldn't be the hype on them that there is. Having particular belief in a fanastically designed revolutionary product doesn't make me a fan boy. I make no appologies for fighting it's corner.

:job2
22-06-2009, 07:45 PM
I think the iPhone and the N97 are made to hit different markets.

The iPhone is made for people with businesses that need to check there email and access files anywhere, hence why the camera isn't the best, but is also made for people that want to play games on there phone.

The Nokia N97 is more suited a wider market, not just (but not excluding) gamers and businessmen.

Most people will agree that the touch screen on the iPhone is unmatched by any phone in the market, this is a huge selling point for the phone.

However some people like to have real buttons (such as a keyboard).

Another thing is that the iPhone is only available on o2, and the contracts aren't exactly the best out there, this puts many people off getting an iPhone. I am currently on Orange, I pay about £20 a month for unlimited texts and 200 mins, which suits me perfectly as I dont really phone people, I tend to stick to text.

The N97 will be available on most of the major networks which I think will help its sales.

My contract ends in the first week of July and I decided months ago I was getting a Nokia N97.

Basicly the iPhone and the N97 are both AMAZING phones, however, NEITHER OF THEM ARE BY ANY MEANS PERFECT. They both have there faults and I think both will be very popular phones :)

The Professor
23-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Well don't just say that, go ahead and name some of the things it doesnt have that you want. Because I think you'll be pushed. But you make a good point, it might not be what you want, or best for you. But overall, I would imagine the general consensus from iphone users/owners is that it is the best phone there is. Otherwise there wouldn't be the hype on them that there is. Having particular belief in a fanastically designed revolutionary product doesn't make me a fan boy. I make no appologies for fighting it's corner.

A physical keyboard/keypad and the ability to run multiple applications at once would be nice.

e5
23-06-2009, 03:51 PM
iphone

Vennal
23-06-2009, 11:00 PM
IMO, I have and currently have the Nokia N95 and the N96 now. N95 broke with in 3 weeks and N96 is very fake. Fails hardcore, v.unrealiable - always turning off and screen breaks/scratchs easily. Personally I like the blackberry curve or the iPhone.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!