PDA

View Full Version : France snubs Queen concerning D-Day anniversary

-:Undertaker:-
27-05-2009, 12:44 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/05/26/article-0-050957FB000005DC-397_233x333.jpg (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1188515/D-Day-snub-Queen-Palace-fury-Sarkozy-refuses-invite-royals-65th-Anniversary--Brown-wont-act.html)

Buckingham Palace voiced anger last night after the French snubbed the Queen over next week's D-Day commemorations.

Aides said senior royals had repeatedly made clear their eagerness to support the historic 65th anniversary events in Normandy.

But last night French officials crushed any remaining hopes, admitting they had never had any plans to invite members of the British Royal Family.
They said President Nicolas Sarkozy was focused on the 'main event' of hosting U.S. President Barack Obama.

There was also anger at the British Government for failing to secure a Royal invitation from their French counterparts. Protocol means they cannot simply invite themselves.

The failure to invite the Queen - who is head of state of both Britain and Canada - will be seen as an insult to the memory of the 17,556 British and 5,316 Canadian troops who died to free France and are buried there.
The figure does not include many airmen and sailors whose bodies were never found.

Ministers had refused even to treat the 65th anniversary as a major event until shamed into a U-turn by a Daily Mail campaign earlier this year.

Senior Buckingham Palace sources made no attempt to hide their frustration. One said: 'We have made it very clear from the start we were keen to support the Normandy veterans in any way we could. No-one is keener to honour their sacrifice.'

Amazing how we saved the French twice in World War I and World War II yet President Sarkozy would rather be seen snuggling up to Barack Obama on the Obama bandwagon. As less veterans survive each year they should be honoured, as once they die the living memory of the terrible war that cost millions their lives will be lost forever.

GommeInc
27-05-2009, 12:58 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/05/26/article-0-050957FB000005DC-397_233x333.jpg (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1188515/D-Day-snub-Queen-Palace-fury-Sarkozy-refuses-invite-royals-65th-Anniversary--Brown-wont-act.html)

Amazing how we saved the French twice in World War I and World War II yet President Sarkozy would rather be seen snuggling up to Barack Obama on the Obama bandwagon. As less veterans survive each year they should be honoured, as once they die the living memory of the terrible war that cost millions their lives will be lost forever.
Threaten them with war and watch them retreat. Simple. It is quite offensive, really, what they are doing. What's Obama got to do with anything anyway?

ifuseekamy
27-05-2009, 03:46 AM
The Queen should call on the armies of the commonwealth and show France what they're dealing with.

Bun
27-05-2009, 06:59 AM
sarkozy is a ***. and i'm not just saying that cos he's french.

Frodo13.
27-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Argh! I hate Sarkozy. The only thing he is good at is throwing a wobbly when things don't go his way and raping Germany.

Jordy
27-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Threaten them with war and watch them retreat. Simple. It is quite offensive, really, what they are doing. What's Obama got to do with anything anyway?Well they invited Obama and he's playing a major role within it. If you're wondering the relevance it's cause the American's played a huge part in the D-Day landing (Along with Britain & Canada). I'm not really bothered about Obama being invited as America did play a huge part, I just think that the royal family should of been invited.

Technologic
27-05-2009, 10:47 AM
I think Brown and the family should just go to the graveyard and beach anyway. Hold their own ceremony, screw the french. There's no rule saying we can't, doing that would make my respect for them quadruple

-:Undertaker:-
27-05-2009, 12:41 PM
I'd just do the same back to the French, next time theres a summit to be held here don't invite Nicholas Sarkozy.

GommeInc
27-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Well they invited Obama and he's playing a major role within it. If you're wondering the relevance it's cause the American's played a huge part in the D-Day landing (Along with Britain & Canada). I'm not really bothered about Obama being invited as America did play a huge part, I just think that the royal family should of been invited.
Indeed, but he wasn't physically involved or old enough/alive to even see it. Sarkozy is just trying to bum Obama for points :/

I think Brown and the family should just go to the graveyard and beach anyway. Hold their own ceremony, screw the french. There's no rule saying we can't, doing that would make my respect for them quadruple
Yeah, it shows they at least stick up for their country :P I like the idea of inviting world leaders (minus Sarkozy) too :D

EDIT: She was alive then, just not in rein. I still stick by what I said though.

Dan2nd
28-05-2009, 04:52 PM
That ungreatful would be speaking german if it wasn't for us scrawny little man :@

I think the Queen should just turn up anyway, what are they going to do not let her in?

lick
28-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Sky News said they said sorry.

xxMATTGxx
28-05-2009, 07:36 PM
What a disgrace. The Royal Family should of been invited no matter what.

GommeInc
28-05-2009, 07:51 PM
According to Sky News, it is not up to France to invite people. So it makes you wonder, who is hosting this event and how comes it's a Franco-American event?

Technologic
29-05-2009, 02:08 PM
^ Because it's celebrating the french involvement.

There is a separate event for the British

GommeInc
29-05-2009, 03:29 PM
^ Because it's celebrating the french involvement.

There is a separate event for the British
But who's celebrating the French involvement other than French? Because they're not hosting it. Some unknown group seems to be hosting it, if that makes sense? It's probably Sky News and their funny wording.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!