PDA

View Full Version : XPS vs. Mac?

AgnesIO
29-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Hey,

I know this will probably end up really biased, however I was wandering what would be the better buy. From what I have seen so far..

---------

Dell XPS:

Reasonably priced
Good Graphics Card (nVidia)
Good for playing games (Most games don't seem to work on mac)
Fairly good RAM
Good Processor
Large HD

---------

Apple Mac:

Good Graphics Card (nVidia)
Not great for playing games
Large price
fantastic Looks
Average ram - but you don't need huge ram's for mac's do you?
Good Support
160/250gb HD
Some have great processors.

---------

Price isn't really a huge deal for me, but I am not willing to spend over £1000.

One of the upside's with Apple atm is that if you are a student you can get a free 8gb iPod Touch when you buy :D:D

---------

Thanks,

Dom

Recursion
29-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Well first... post the specs of both machines.

AgnesIO
29-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Well first... post the specs of both machines.

Well that depends on what one I go for :P

(E.G. As there are many Apple Mac's etc)

I can't get on dell's website atm, not sure why,.

Jordy
29-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Well your thread is very confusing if your not posting specs, and to be fair I don't see why your comparing specs as any Windows PC will thrash Mac specs hands down for price (Something we all agree on?).

What it comes down to is whether you want Windows or Mac. Once you've made the decision, buy the best you can within your budget.

J0SH
29-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Mac's are amazing machines even though I've never had one, but as for gaming you can always dual boot.

Jahova
29-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Look, for gaming, it's always going to be a Windows - Preferably a custom built PC to your own needs and taste.

For professionals, Apple products are always going to be the best, but they come with a hefty prices, which usually turns off the home user from buying.

In the end, they have different features that are better than each other. So in the end, they are equal.

Recursion
29-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Look, for gaming, it's always going to be a Windows - Preferably a custom built PC to your own needs and taste.

For professionals, Apple products are always going to be the best, but they come with a hefty prices, which usually turns off the home user from buying.

In the end, they have different features that are better than each other. So in the end, they are equal.

I disagree on so many different levels, it is personal preference no matter what.

They both do the same thing, games are slowly going to Mac OS and and MS are stepping up their game with Windows 7, again, it is down to personal preference!

Mentor
29-05-2009, 01:40 PM

Almost all the "professionals" I've ever met develop and work primarily on windows? Its still the industry standard, useing mac over pc in most cases is still like useing Gimp over photoshop. Some people prefer it, but its not the standard.

PC wize, with the comparison, probably the mac. Though only because dell are possibly the worst company out there in terms of selling Pc's dispite terrible support, terrible spec's and massive overpricing, the generally fall apart in less than a year. Totally recommend against anything dell, not had good experiences, nore known anyone who has.
For a big name, id go with http://www.meshcomputers.com , solid builds and pretty good spec - money ratios :)
If you want really cheap, keep an eye on the extra value range on ebuyer, you can get some incredible deals of that. Zoostorm also offers some pretty impressive specs (also seen on ebuyer) :)

When buying a PC i generally buy on pure specs/build quality, rather than what o/s it does or does not come with. If having OSX is worth a big drop in specs to you, then thats fine, after all thats how Mac make there money. Personally, id just build a hackintosh :p

AgnesIO
29-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Well your thread is very confusing if your not posting specs, and to be fair I don't see why your comparing specs as any Windows PC will thrash Mac specs hands down for price (Something we all agree on?).

What it comes down to is whether you want Windows or Mac. Once you've made the decision, buy the best you can within your budget.

Thats all i really wanted to know - is Mac or XP better for a general pc user xD

---

Since people do not like dell, could some of you give me other decent brands? It does not have to be well known, just decent prices with a decent build! :D

I cannot make a laptop myself, although I can obviously you websites where you can choose what you want done to your laptop - thats why I liked dell LOL

Thanks,

Dom

Mentor
29-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Thats all i really wanted to know - is Mac or XP better for a general pc user xD

---

Since people do not like dell, could some of you give me other decent brands? It does not have to be well known, just decent prices with a decent build! :D

I cannot make a laptop myself, although I can obviously you websites where you can choose what you want done to your laptop - thats why I liked dell LOL

Thanks,

Dom

Ebuyer has its higher end value pc back in stock (though usually sells out pretty fast once it is)
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159381
400£, quadcore phenom processor, 4gb ram, nVIDIA® GeForce GTS 250 512MB DDR3 Graphics Card, 640GB hdd etc

:) good value for money, i got my parents one a while back which works a charm (only issue is build quality can be a little dodge in some areas (the panel next to the card reader wasn't in right (just plastic bit to fill hole, nothing important)

Perfomance is solid though.

AgnesIO
29-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Ebuyer has its higher end value pc back in stock (though usually sells out pretty fast once it is)
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159381
400£, quadcore phenom processor, 4gb ram, nVIDIA® GeForce GTS 250 512MB DDR3 Graphics Card, 640GB hdd etc

:) good value for money, i got my parents one a while back which works a charm (only issue is build quality can be a little dodge in some areas (the panel next to the card reader wasn't in right (just plastic bit to fill hole, nothing important)

Perfomance is solid though.

I hate to be a pain..

I meant to say Laptops haha xD

that does look really good though, thanks for the help anyway :0

+Rep

timROGERS
29-05-2009, 06:02 PM
By the way, you don't get a free iPod touch, it costs £20 :) And you have to pay the full price on purchase and then claim the money back by mail.

Mentor
29-05-2009, 06:20 PM
I hate to be a pain..

I meant to say Laptops haha xD

that does look really good though, thanks for the help anyway :0

+Rep

Ah, np.

Plenty of laptops on ebuyer too :P
http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Computers/cat/Laptops

Not really sure what your looking for, so cant really suggest.

AgnesIO
29-05-2009, 08:08 PM
By the way, you don't get a free iPod touch, it costs £20 :) And you have to pay the full price on purchase and then claim the money back by mail.

Well yeh but £20 is still nice haha :D

I like the look of Mac's but I think they are a tad overpriced for my liking haha :P

---

Ty Mentor!

HD-Christopher
30-05-2009, 03:29 PM
If you want a gaming laptop, I would go with Toshiba or HP, toshiba has a great gaming laptop for 1400USD I'm not sure of the conversion there. but it has great specs. I will post a link later tonight when I get off work. or when I'm not on my phone.

The Professor
31-05-2009, 07:08 PM
PC wize, with the comparison, probably the mac. Though only because dell are possibly the worst company out there in terms of selling Pc's dispite terrible support, terrible spec's and massive overpricing, the generally fall apart in less than a year. Totally recommend against anything dell, not had good experiences, nore known anyone who has.
For a big name, id go with http://www.meshcomputers.com , solid builds and pretty good spec - money ratios :)
If you want really cheap, keep an eye on the extra value range on ebuyer, you can get some incredible deals of that. Zoostorm also offers some pretty impressive specs (also seen on ebuyer) :)

Now you know one! In my house there's a Dell Dimension that's been running for 6 years and an 8 year old second hand optiplex as well as an inspiron laptop and they're all running fine :) I've had hard drive failures with the optiplex and the dimension but I've had hard drive failures with every hard drive I've ever had, they lasted a long time in comparison to some of the others I've had in my main PC :P

HD-Christopher
31-05-2009, 08:00 PM
My dell dimension is almost 9 years old, and it still runs great.

AgnesIO
31-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Now you know one! In my house there's a Dell Dimension that's been running for 6 years and an 8 year old second hand optiplex as well as an inspiron laptop and they're all running fine :) I've had hard drive failures with the optiplex and the dimension but I've had hard drive failures with every hard drive I've ever had, they lasted a long time in comparison to some of the others I've had in my main PC :P

Yeh funnily enough I lost my dell desktop coz of harddrive failure! Luckily all fiels were restored - I am still a fan of them though :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!