PDA

View Full Version : Banks

BeanEgg
29-05-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm under 16, and want to open a new bank account.
Can anyone guide me to the best bank/ building society please?

Specs;
- I want a bank who can offer high interest rates.
- Credit Card that can be used at an ATM.
- Online Banking (Preferably)
Thanks!

eight
29-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Nat West is always Best (for younger people)

BeanEgg
29-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Nat West is always Best (for younger people)

What's the interest rate and specs?

colourpot
29-05-2009, 01:38 PM
I have a Halifax bank account, you get online banking, card that can be used in store and at an ATM (its a Visa Electron).

http://www.halifax.co.uk/bankaccounts/expresscash.asp

This is the one i have, as soon as you get to 16 they upgrade you to which ever account you want. Hope this helps

Favourtism
29-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Visa electrons aren't accepted for some things though

Im on Lloyds TSB and have a normal Visa card there. When you're 16 you get online banking etc there too

BeanEgg
29-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Visa electrons aren't accepted for some things though

Im on Lloyds TSB and have a normal Visa card there. When you're 16 you get online banking etc there too

Can you get interest on a savings account? Or is it just a current account?

To clarify, I want a savings account and a current account so I can gain interest, as well as do online banking and have a credit card.

Nick.
29-05-2009, 03:42 PM
You can't get a credit card under 16. I would say go with HSBC and get a Visa Debit. :)

GommeInc
29-05-2009, 03:45 PM
I hear good things from HSBC. I'm with NatWest and always have been, but that's because my family have always been with them :P (just incase you wanted to know that little tidbit of information ;)) They've got a good service though.

And you can't get a credit card when you're 16. You can only (usually) get one when you're older when you're making above a certain amount of money (credit checks I think have something to do with it). But the rules may have changed, don't know.

BeanEgg
29-05-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm with HSBC at the moment, and have a debit card.

Just want to see if there's anything else better.

Judge Judy
29-05-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm with Abbey 16-18 and the interest rate I get is 5%.
If you're under 16 then I've compared interest rates Abbey is 3% or 5% and HSBC is 0% (apparently).

Anyway I'm with Abbey because my mum and dad are with Abbey so it's just, to me, simpler to get my mum/dad to transfer money to my account, simples xD

Nick.
29-05-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm with Abbey 16-18 and the interest rate I get is 5%.
If you're under 16 then I've compared interest rates Abbey is 3% or 5% and HSBC is 0% (apparently).

Anyway I'm with Abbey because my mum and dad are with Abbey so it's just, to me, simpler to get my mum/dad to transfer money to my account, simples xD
I get about 30p a month for having about £250 in. LOL!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!