PDA

View Full Version : Queen now 'welcome at D-Day service'

-:Undertaker:-
31-05-2009, 11:32 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8075776.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8075776.stm)

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45836000/jpg/_45836695_007400600-1.jpg

Gordon Brown has said he will arrange for the Queen to attend next Saturday's D-Day events in France if she wants to.
The prime minister told BBC One's Andrew Marr programme if any royal wants to be at the commemorations on 6 June he would "make that possible".

Buckingham Palace has said there would be no royal presence because no-one was invited, but denied claims of a snub.

Mr Brown will represent the UK at the event in Normandy, to mark those who died storming the beaches 65 years ago.

Good news that shes finally been accepted to pay honour to those who fought for us against the Third Reich, and sadly every year that passes leaves us with less and less of them brave soldiers.

GommeInc
31-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Ah good news for once :D It was only fair. Who runs Canada? Do they have a representative?

Frodo13.
03-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Ah good news for once :D It was only fair. Who runs Canada? Do they have a representative?

The Queen does, as she is also Queen of Canada.

GommeInc
03-06-2009, 09:41 PM
The Queen does, as she is also Queen of Canada.
I know that, but surely someone who is from Canada should attend it too? Or are people only interested in the Queen?

03-06-2009, 09:42 PM
The Canadian Prime Minister is attending aswell. :)

Caution
03-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Oh, wouldn't want her to miss out. :rolleyes:

03-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Oh, wouldn't want her to miss out. :rolleyes:

Indeed we wouldn't considering she is the only head of state who served in World War II who is still alive and in office, and adding on the fact that the veterens also want her there; so yes, we wouldn't want her to miss out.

Jordy
03-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Indeed we wouldn't considering she is the only head of state who served in World War II who is still alive and in office, and adding on the fact that the veterens also want her there; so yes, we wouldn't want her to miss out.As it happens she isn't going but Prince Charles is instead which I'm glad about (Some people are still upset it's not the queen but it's better than just our PM). I'm not sure whether she'd go if it was planned properly originally but she is getting fairly old now so she won't be travelling as much as she used to.

I disagree about her part in World War II though, although she was alive she played a very minimal part within the War.

Caution
03-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Indeed we wouldn't considering she is the only head of state who served in World War II who is still alive and in office, and adding on the fact that the veterens also want her there; so yes, we wouldn't want her to miss out.
I agree with what's in bold below. She's representing the people who risked their lives for us, but she sat on the throne while it was happening.

As it happens she isn't going but Prince Charles is instead which I'm glad about (Some people are still upset it's not the queen but it's better than just our PM). I'm not sure whether she'd go if it was planned properly originally but she is getting fairly old now so she won't be travelling as much as she used to.

I disagree about her part in World War II though, although she was alive she played a very minimal part within the War.

GommeInc
03-06-2009, 10:16 PM
I agree with what's in bold below. She's representing the people who risked their lives for us, but she sat on the throne while it was happening.
She wasn't on the throne, and someone of her position should go, because she's head of state - involvement or not, she was alive so she has more authority really :/ It won't be just some random person, it should be someone everyone knows. Prince Charles is doing it though now, so it's better than nothing.

Jordy
03-06-2009, 10:18 PM
I agree with what's in bold below. She's representing the people who risked their lives for us, but she sat on the throne while it was happening.No it was her father King George VI who was King during World War II. On reflection of my previous post I may of been a bit harsh. She may not of been a wartime leader like her Father or Churchill, Roosevelt, Stalin, Eisenhouser etc but she did experience World War II. For example she came close to being bombed in Buckingham Palace, participated in the morale building of the Royal Family and at the end of the War saw the troops coming home and joined in the celebrations. And then finally when she became head of state she witnessed the breakup of the empire as a result of World War II.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!