PDA

View Full Version : Hen Wlad fy Nhadau

Geraint
31-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Is this allowed to be said seeing as I was reminded for saying it this morning?

dirrty
31-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Posting in another language isn't allowed. Based upon the fact that not everyone will know what it means & it may cause offense (not saying that it is). What does it mean anyway :S

Jordy
31-05-2009, 06:43 PM
It's the National Anthem of Wales (tbh I did Google it :P). Posting in other languages isn't allowed but I imagine as this is a name it would be allowed.

Just an honest mistake by the moderator I suppose. It's not something which comes up every day though so it's not really worthy of a thread?

(Translates to 'Land of My Fathers')

Geraint
31-05-2009, 06:53 PM
I'm not saying it does come up every day but it's the national anthem.

GommeInc
31-05-2009, 07:13 PM
If it's a national anthem then it should be allowed, though I stick by my opinion on this rule being the most pointless rule in creation, when speaking in another language which no-one will understand is pointless (so therefore comes under the pointless posting rules). For some strange reason they needed a seperate rule for it :S

Catzsy
31-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Well it was made when a particular member, I think, from Spain was actually writing abusive posts and particuarly signatures in spanish. He seemed also to have multiple names which made it worse.

Thing is that, as it stands, Preposterous is right according to the rules.
As it happens I know what it means because it is very well known in Wales but that isn't to say that it is anywhere else to any great extent.

I am not sure if we have much abuse with this sort of thing now - it didn't bother me in the first place as you can always get a rough translation on the net which will tell you if its against the rules. I can see both sides here
but Preposterous is right when considering the rule.

Skajo
31-05-2009, 08:04 PM
It's like me saying Stade de France. It's a proper noun - it should be allowed.

Jordy
31-05-2009, 08:06 PM
If it's a national anthem then it should be allowed, though I stick by my opinion on this rule being the most pointless rule in creation, when speaking in another language which no-one will understand is pointless (so therefore comes under the pointless posting rules). For some strange reason they needed a seperate rule for it :SI disagree there, I'm not sure if I'm allowed a 'Favourite Rule' but I do think it's a pretty good one. Someone could make a decent post in English and then just write some phrase in another language. It could be derogatory but it's also an annoyance, it means the moderators (and members) would be forced to look for translations which is an irritation. A decent post with a bit of another language wouldn't fall under a pointless post therefore I can see the reasoning behind it being a seperate rule.

Apologies if I seem to be quoting a lot of your posts as of recent, I'm seriously not victimising you :P

nvrspk4
31-05-2009, 09:41 PM
If it's a national anthem then it should be allowed, though I stick by my opinion on this rule being the most pointless rule in creation, when speaking in another language which no-one will understand is pointless (so therefore comes under the pointless posting rules). For some strange reason they needed a seperate rule for it :S

That's a bit of a stretch in interpretation, as some people will understand it therefore it will not be entirely pointless.

By your interpretation of pointless posting, if someone was posting for help with metaphysics (ok just bear with me on this one, I know its not realistic) and only a few people knew metaphysics then any post replying to it with explanations would be pointless because nobody understands it.

I can see where you're coming from, I think its just a bit of a distortion and if I was a new member, I wouldn't think that posting in another language would be called pointless.

There was also a very long winded argument a while ago about the offensive nature of deeming other languages "pointless" therefore we just instituted a new rule. If you look around a lot of forums have rules that you have to post in English.

With regards to the OP, yes that infraction should be reversed but it was an honest mistake. By word of the rules it could really go either way but by way of common sense the infraction should be reversed, but the moderator not penalized as there is no way to know. Might be better to clarify next time, simply because not that many out of the UK will know what that is :P

Geraint
31-05-2009, 09:49 PM
I wasn't infracted for it, I just didn't want to be infracted for it if I were to say it again.

Catzsy
31-05-2009, 09:56 PM
I wasn't infracted for it, I just didn't want to be infracted for it if I were to say it again.

Well you posted a useful very polite thread to get the situation sorted so
I can't see it happening. :D

JackBuddy
03-06-2009, 09:00 PM
I still don't forgive the mod who warned me for saying bonjour and merci.

Nick.
03-06-2009, 09:19 PM
It seems to be (I may be wrong) that people are demanding a fine line as to what is and what isn't allowed. Just use common sense before click the post button.

Skajo
03-06-2009, 09:27 PM
It seems to be (I may be wrong) that people are demanding a fine line as to what is and what isn't allowed. Just use common sense before click the post button.
Proper nouns should be allowed - that's common sense.

nvrspk4
03-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Proper nouns should be allowed - that's common sense.

Da I think that's been established :P Within reason of course.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!