PDA

View Full Version : Last Titanic survivor dies at 97 years of age

-:Undertaker:-
31-05-2009, 09:09 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/8070095.stm

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45624000/jpg/_45624127_millvinah&s.jpg

The last survivor of the sinking of the Titanic has died aged 97.
Millvina Dean was nine weeks old when the liner sank after hitting an iceberg in the early hours of 15 April 1912, on its maiden voyage from Southampton.

The disaster resulted in the deaths of 1,517 people in the north Atlantic, largely due to a lack of lifeboats.

Miss Dean, who remembered nothing of the fateful journey, died on Sunday at the care home in Hampshire where she lived, two of her friends told the BBC.

Her family had been travelling to America, where they hoped to start a new life and open a tobacconist's shop in Kansas. They travelled third class.

Miss Dean's mother, Georgetta, and two-year-old brother, Bert, also survived, but her father, Bertram, was among those who perished when the vessel sank.

Interesting conclusion to a famous piece of history there, when you think, in our lifetimes the ship will start collapsing and when we are at a ripe old age it will most likely be a pile of rust at the bottom of the seabed.

Wahey
31-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Awh, shame :(
R.I.P

lick
31-05-2009, 09:18 PM
I don't see why people dont try and bring the ship up/ things from it. Sooner or later there will be nothing and all we will have is a the film lol.

And RIP :(

e5
31-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Just seen it on news at ten
rip :(
she loved people too and didn't get bored of them asking about the titanic :)

eight
31-05-2009, 09:20 PM
She lived proper old

GommeInc
31-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Gosh, that's sad. But she lived to such a good age too! She seemed to be quite a nice woman from what has been said in the past about her. Who gave her story on the sinking of the boat?

lick
31-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Just seen it on news at ten
rip :(
she loved people too and didn't get bored of them asking about the titanic :)

How could she know much about it? she was nine months, unless her mother and sister/brother told her about it.

Scouse
31-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I don't see why people dont try and bring the ship up/ things from it. Sooner or later there will be nothing and all we will have is a the film lol.

And RIP :(

they have tryed i think but it weighed to much? i cant really remember it was either that or when they lift it it will just fall to peices.

r.i.p

lick
31-05-2009, 09:36 PM
they have tryed i think but it weighed to much? i cant really remember it was either that or when they lift it it will just fall to peices.

r.i.p

Then im sure there is things they could bring up like cars,pictures,jewlery and loads more and mabey they could take it up piece by piece and then put i back togeather rather than let it rot away.

-:Undertaker:-
31-05-2009, 09:39 PM
The ship itself cannot be moved as it would collapse, artefacts have been moved and as many pictures are being taken as possible, many of the objects cannot be taken as they risk weakening the ship.

Scouse
31-05-2009, 09:45 PM
its to deep aswell.

Yoshimitsui
31-05-2009, 09:56 PM
I think the reason for not moving it is down to the fact it sits in two pieces and lies far too deep to attempt surfacing it despite the further damage that could be caused. I also believe that an international agreement exists that prohibits anything being moved or removed from the ship and it must be left as it is.

Stefy09
01-06-2009, 01:11 AM
they took the naked woman picture off the boat :eusa_booh

Frodo13.
03-06-2009, 06:13 PM

The Heart of the Ocean is still there though ;)

lick
03-06-2009, 07:01 PM

The Heart of the Ocean is still there though ;)

I though all that was made up lol :S

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!