PDA

View Full Version : External Screen?

Jamieb
04-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Hey, what is the cheapest way of doing a external screen, would a VGA splitter work? Its for a desctop pc...

Thanks alot for the help....

Jamieb

Agnostic Bear
04-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Hey, what is the cheapest way of doing a external screen, would a VGA splitter work? Its for a desctop pc...

Thanks alot for the help....

Jamieb

That makes absolutely no sense, screens are external unless they are internal. Please explain what you mean thanks in advance.

GommeInc
04-06-2009, 09:19 AM
I'm assuming he means dual screen.

The only "cheapest" way to do it is just buy a cheaper screen and make sure your graphics card has two connectors (one already in use for the monitor you have attached at the moment, obviously). Do you have this? I'm guessing since you used the word "splitter" that you don't. You could buy a cheap, PCI (NOT PCI-E) graphics card and have the second monitor attached to that, OR buy a new PCI-E graphics card - considering most new ones have at least two DVI or VGA connections.

Don't take my immediate word for it though, someone may come up with other ideas, or correct me :)

Mentor
04-06-2009, 05:38 PM
@gommeinc,

Would be kinda strange for a pc to have a single output in this day and age, my guess is he hasnt looked. Generally for an older card you'll have one vga and one dvi (often a s-video too)

dvi to vga adpaters are pretty cheap (few quid) and attached to the spare dvi would allow you to just plug in a second moniter. Equally in a new gfx card you'll likely just have 2 dvi's same applies, though if your moniters new it may just have a dvi connection anyway meaning you can forgo the adpator :p

The Professor
04-06-2009, 10:10 PM
A VGA splitter would give you the same image on both screens. Plugging a monitor into each port on the graphics card will give you a dual monitor setup (arrgh I can't think of the right way to put that!). As for cheapest... CRT monitor from ebay ftw

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!