PDA

View Full Version : Activision sues over Brutal Legend

Stitch
04-06-2009, 08:02 PM
This week's Electronic Entertainment Expo was supposed to be a sort of coming out party for Double Fine Productions' Brutal Legend. The game is set to complete its rocky road to release with an October launch, and publisher Electronic Arts has been promoting it heavily at the show. It dedicated a portion of its press conference to the game, and plastering a massive Brutal Legend banner over the front of the Los Angeles Convention Center's South Hall.

Activision is looking to crash that party, as the Associated Press reports that the Tony Hawk publisher filed suit against Double Fine in a Santa Monica court yesterday to prevent the game's release. According to the news service, Activision is claiming it still has the rights to release Brutal Legend, even though the game was among a slew of titles dropped by the publisher last year in the wake of its merger with Vivendi Games. The publisher also noted that it invested roughly $15 million in Brutal Legend, according to the report.

The lawsuit isn't entirely surprising. Activision had threatened such a move in February, according to a report in Variety. At the time, an unnamed EA source told the trade magazine, "We doubt that Activision would try to sue. That would be like a husband abandoning his family and then suing after his wife meets a better looking guy."

Representatives with Activision, Electronic Arts, and Double Fine Productions had not returned request for comment as of press time.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6211542/activision-sues-over-brutal-legend-report

Thats just ridiculous. They dropped the game :S

Technologic
04-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Yeah but they did kind of just take $15 million... I'd kind of want that back too.

MrPinkPanther
04-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Agreed, at the end of the day I think they should atleast get a share of the profits. They are a company. Companies try to make money. End of.

Oleh
05-06-2009, 07:58 PM
I think activision have done the wrong action plan, they could have waited untill october and got the cash then

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!