PDA

View Full Version : RAM being used up when im doing nothing?

rnix
06-06-2009, 07:34 PM
My RAM is being used up when im doing nothing,
http://i44.tinypic.com/2emznmg.jpg

Help? (:

Stephen!
06-06-2009, 07:37 PM
36% is being used.. I don't see how that's a problem.

N!ck
06-06-2009, 07:37 PM
My RAM is being used up when im doing nothing,
http://i44.tinypic.com/2emznmg.jpg

Help? (:

You're using about 1GB RAM idle which is pretty normal for Vista. Mine was using something like 700MB on a fresh install.

rnix
06-06-2009, 07:38 PM
oh i was reading the graph thingy :P
Sorry

Recursion
06-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Your fine, I generally use 2.41GBs out of 4GB, all im doing is three MSN convos, iTunes, Tweetdeck and general background tasks.

N!ck
06-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Your fine, I generally use 2.41GBs out of 4GB, all im doing is three MSN convos, iTunes, Tweetdeck and general background tasks.

:S mine hits about 1-1.5GB at the most out of 4GB. That's generally with Firefox open, WMP playing something and maybe Windows Media Centre doing some recording business in the background along with the other usual background stuff like anti-virus.

GommeInc
06-06-2009, 07:58 PM
:O!? How are you guys getting that much usage of your RAM? When doing nothing, I use 31% of RAM - that's out of 2GB (too lazy to do maths). It is pretty normal to have a reasonable amount of RAM usage though, so I wouldn't worry ;)

Agnostic Bear
06-06-2009, 09:01 PM
:O!? How are you guys getting that much usage of your RAM? When doing nothing, I use 31% of RAM - that's out of 2GB (too lazy to do maths). It is pretty normal to have a reasonable amount of RAM usage though, so I wouldn't worry ;)

Vista uses RAM efficiently, caches what it thinks you'll do next or have already done / likely tasks into RAM so it loads faster, it's actually quite good.

Mentor
06-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Your useing ram becuse your not doing nothing, your running an o/s and its assoiated proccesses and services + firefox (bit of a hog sometimes in itself), reg mechanic, windows messenger (again often a bit fat) and who knows how many other programs are running in the background additionally.
For all that your not useing any more ram than would be expected.

Agnostic Bear
06-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Your useing ram becuse your not doing nothing, your running an o/s and its assoiated proccesses and services + firefox (bit of a hog sometimes in itself), reg mechanic, windows messenger (again often a bit fat) and who knows how many other programs are running in the background additionally.
For all that your not useing any more ram than would be expected.

Stop. First of all get a spell checker, it helps a bunch, also stop using double negatives, they confuse the hell out of the regular forumites.

Firefox is a ram hog and always has been, reg mechanic and wlm will take up absolutely minimum ram, it's Vista caching it as I said for later use, it has nothing to do with Windows services and such, it's all readyboost or whatever they're calling it these days. It just adds extra ram to the programs that are running to enable them to run just that extra bit faster, which is why programs (i.e games that use bucket loads of ram) can call on huge amounts of ram which the computer is seemingly using, it just removes the cache for the benefit of the most active application, causing it to run faster.

Efficiency.

N!ck
06-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Stop. First of all get a spell checker, it helps a bunch, also stop using double negatives, they confuse the hell out of the regular forumites.

Firefox is a ram hog and always has been, reg mechanic and wlm will take up absolutely minimum ram, it's Vista caching it as I said for later use, it has nothing to do with Windows services and such, it's all readyboost or whatever they're calling it these days. It just adds extra ram to the programs that are running to enable them to run just that extra bit faster, which is why programs (i.e games that use bucket loads of ram) can call on huge amounts of ram which the computer is seemingly using, it just removes the cache for the benefit of the most active application, causing it to run faster.

Efficiency.

Nah, I like the abstract way mentor constructs his posts. I can read them fine.

Plus, don't even mention readyboost. It sucks.

Agnostic Bear
06-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Nah, I like the abstract way mentor constructs his posts. I can read them fine.

Plus, don't even mention readyboost. It sucks.

Turn it off and see how fast Windows runs.

Or SuperFetch, I think that's what I'm on about anyway.

Recursion
06-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Turn it off and see how fast Windows runs.

Or SuperFetch, I think that's what I'm on about anyway.

It's SuperFetch I think, ReadyBoost is that crap where it basically makes a paging file on a USB drive or something.

Mentor
06-06-2009, 11:18 PM
O.o i just used the original phrasing? I'm sorry if thats to complex for you. Additionally spell 'formalities' right if your going to start telling people to get spell checkers :rolleyes:

Firefox is a ram hog and always has been, reg mechanic and wlm will take up absolutely minimum ram, it's Vista caching it as I said for later use, it has nothing to do with Windows services and such,
Oh i'm sorry, i wasn't aware the caching in vista used a magical wizard who lives under the bed, silly me thinking it was part of the operating system's functionality...

it's all readyboost or whatever they're calling it these days. It just adds extra ram to the programs that are running to enable them to run just that extra bit faster, which is why programs (i.e games that use bucket loads of ram) can call on huge amounts of ram which the computer is seemingly using, it just removes the cache for the benefit of the most active application, causing it to run faster.

Efficiency.
I'm not entire sure what your on about? readyboost simply acts as a cache of commonly accessed data since it can get better seek times on flash memory? Its kinda like a faster swap in essence... what your on about i cant really tell o.o

xPrecedent
06-06-2009, 11:35 PM
O.o i just used the original phrasing? I'm sorry if thats to complex for you. Additionally spell 'formalities' right if your going to start telling people to get spell checkers :rolleyes:

Oh i'm sorry, i wasn't aware the caching in vista used a magical wizard who lives under the bed, silly me thinking it was part of the operating system's functionality...

I'm not entire sure what your on about? readyboost simply acts as a cache of commonly accessed data since it can get better seek times on flash memory? Its kinda like a faster swap in essence... what your on about i cant really tell o.o
I don't think he meant to spell formalities, by forumites I believe he meant regular forum users.. if that is what you was picking up on, lol

Mentor
07-06-2009, 12:35 AM
I don't think he meant to spell formalities, by forumites I believe he meant regular forum users.. if that is what you was picking up on, lol
You may be right, didn't really occur to me as being a word :p

Chippiewill
09-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Hmm, Mentor + Jewish bear.....
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/147/369520619_3011c523d7_m.jpg

Simple explantion for RAM: Vista uses it because it's there, be happy, it makes vista some what faster than it would be...

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!