PDA

View Full Version : NEW iPhone announced - iPhone 3G S

Jackbee
08-06-2009, 06:48 PM
More info coming soon.. :D

"S" Stands for speed.

The 3GS now supports OpenGL|ES. It also supports 7.2 Mbps HSDPA. It includes a new camera. A 3MP autofocus cam.
Autofocus brings in Auto Macro as well, as close as 10cm away. Low-light and macro-modes
The new iPhone 3GS captures video.
Phil Schiller predicts the new iPhone 3GS to be the most popular video device
The new iPhone 3GS can do voice control - not only for the phone - for ipod function, too.
iPhone 3GS supports Accessibility features, like Speak auto text, Mono Audio, White on Black Screen and Voice over. Also nike+ is built-in.
Improved battery life: 3G got 6 on Wi-Fi, 10 on 2G talk and 5 on 3G talk. 3GS gets 9 on Wi-Fi, 12 on 2g talk and 5 on 3g talk.

Alkaz
08-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Oh yummy. Most people knew that one was due to come out around this time.

Jackbee
08-06-2009, 07:05 PM
edit time run out

iPhone 3GS available on June 19th in US, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, UK

MrPinkPanther
08-06-2009, 07:10 PM
I think its pretty lame to be honest. A minor upgrade.

GommeInc
08-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Still a crap battery life and what he said about it being the most popular video device is hilarious. It won't ever be, because it's not a video capturing device... If they want to go with most popular anything, the iPhone wins hands down as internet device, camera and so on. Silly man :P

Indie-Dan
08-06-2009, 07:11 PM
source?

MrPinkPanther
08-06-2009, 07:18 PM
source?
WWDC. Done.

Jordy
08-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Not exactly many new features? Seems slightly better in every way but nothing amazing which would change someone's mind into buying one.

I mean 3MP is just laughable, phones have been capable of that for a long time and they're dubbing it a 'Video Device', it's taking the piss. As for voice control I'm yet to see that take off on any anything yet so I imagine they'll just fail in this department, it's also very old technology. I can see everyone being amazed at speech recognition but it's not really useful even if it may seem it at first.

Once again, it's stuff which the original iPhone should of had.

timROGERS
08-06-2009, 07:33 PM
I hate Apple lolol. I am going to have to return my Unibody MacBook refurb, which will take forever, so I can buy a new 13" MBP.

samsaBEAR
08-06-2009, 07:39 PM
WWDC. Done.
i lol'd
i am getting an iphone for my birthday, and i made sure to wait till today so i can make sure they're announcing the new one. i am most excited

GommeInc
08-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Not exactly many new features? Seems slightly better in every way but nothing amazing which would change someone's mind into buying one.

I mean 3MP is just laughable, phones have been capable of that for a long time and they're dubbing it a 'Video Device', it's taking the piss. As for voice control I'm yet to see that take off on any anything yet so I imagine they'll just fail in this department, it's also very old technology. I can see everyone being amazed at speech recognition but it's not really useful even if it may seem it at first.

Once again, it's stuff which the original iPhone should of had.
Indeed, Apple would look a wiser, clever company in my eyes if they just made one product with everything in it, not one product, then another, then another all based on small] updates that are meaningless to, well, everyone including fans.

Jackbee
08-06-2009, 07:42 PM
From WWDC lol..

Im upgrading probably if its not too expensive, as I only have a 1g atm.

Tomm
08-06-2009, 07:43 PM
OMG Autofocus?! Captures video?! Voice Control?! Clearly very innovative and groundbreaking features >.>

Recursion
08-06-2009, 07:56 PM
All the features now in iPhone OS 3.0 should have been launch features if im honest, but I can't wait to dump T-Mobile when my contract ends.

Excellent2
08-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Oh come on Apple.. price?

jackass
08-06-2009, 10:27 PM
I'd much rather get the Viewty Smart...

http://buymobilephonedealsuk.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/lg-viewty-smart-gc900.jpg

DaveTaylor
08-06-2009, 10:31 PM
I am getting it for my birthday this month :o!

Recursion
09-06-2009, 06:38 AM
I am getting it for my birthday this month :o!

Don't you have a 3G? In that case what a waste

xxMATTGxx
09-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Don't you have a 3G? In that case what a waste

No he doesn't. His dad took him off him for a while therefore it wouldn't be a waste due to him still being in the first iPhone. :]

Wolverhampton
09-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Woop, crap upgrade TBH, glad my upgrade is due next July when I can hopefully upgrade to a newer radicalised iPhone. ;)

And TBH is tooks exactly the same as the iPhone 3G, apart from the back has a 'matte' finish:
http://modmyi.com/images/iphone3gs-4.png

http://modmyi.com/images/iphone3gs-3.png

Only a few very minor and basic upgrades...
Not exactly ground breaking? :S

EDIT: Picture of the back 'matte' finish:
http://www.macobserver.com/imgs/tmo_articles/20090212newiphonetmo.png

Known about that since like... last year when it was leaked on MMI though, dissapointing from Apple, good for me though as I don't miss out on much. :D

Source
09-06-2009, 10:06 AM
To be honest I think I would rather get a Palm Pre when its launched in the UK.

Wolverhampton
09-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Palm Pre will gets it's arse kicked by the new 3GS and N97, it's a straight battle between Apple and Nokia. ;)

DaveTaylor
09-06-2009, 11:21 AM
No he doesn't. His dad took him off him for a while therefore it wouldn't be a waste due to him still being in the first iPhone. :]

matt knows why too much about me :O

Jackbee
09-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Already on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170342534685

DaveTaylor
09-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Already on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170342534685

lol, don't believe it.

Mentor
09-06-2009, 11:42 AM
I hear the upgrade plan that comes with this kinda screw over alot of the current iphone contract users (in the uk at least), since anyone whos already on contract (unless they didnt upgrade to the iphone 3G) won't qualify for another upgrade for like 6 months or somthing

GoldenMerc
09-06-2009, 11:56 AM
People will buy it cos its apple and iphone so its obviously amazing ^_^
its just a minor update that at the most should be a paid addon not a completely new phone for people to spend hundreds on.

DaveTaylor
09-06-2009, 11:57 AM
I hear the upgrade plan that comes with this kinda screw over alot of the current iphone contract users (in the uk at least), since anyone whos already on contract (unless they didnt upgrade to the iphone 3G) won't qualify for another upgrade for like 6 months or somthing

*shrugs* leave that for my dad to worry about, it's for my birthday :P lol.

Jackbee
09-06-2009, 12:02 PM
*shrugs* leave that for my dad to worry about, it's for my birthday :P lol.

same!! hahaha

Wolverhampton
09-06-2009, 12:29 PM
TBH, it's just dawned on my that this a terrible update by Apply, was expecting much more, but being an 3G user with another year left on my contract, I am very happy! :) I figured that most of the stuff that is included in the 3GS is available via jailbreaking on my 3G, i.e. Video capabilities, better camera (jailbreak app called ClearCam), compass (who cares... :S) ect... the only thing that this has that's better is battery life and faster internet speed, and some minor hardware updates... and I will get most of the same stuff that the 3GS has via the free OS 3.0 update that 3G users are going to be getting on June 17th! - gonna' be absolute mayhem for Apple.

But I have a sneaky suspicion that, Apple, will surprise us all at the end of the WWDC with another iPhone, 3Gi (front facing camera for ''iChat" ect)

Anyone agree? - but I could be completely wrong... and hopefully I am. :P

Recursion
09-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Palm Pre will gets it's arse kicked by the new 3GS and N97, it's a straight battle between Apple and Nokia. ;)

It's really not, Android has the second largest App base, right after Apple, and it will grow, IMO its a "battle" between Nokia, Android (as an OS) and Apple. But all three have major differences which is down to personal preference.

i.e. Video capabilities, better camera (jailbreak app called ClearCam), compass (who cares... :S) ect...

A better hardware camera will never beat a better software camera. Also the compass is very handy on the G1 for Google Maps etc, so I can see it being used on the iPhone too.

Wolverhampton
09-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Yeh true, but I'm happy with the 3rd party apps, instead of paying silly amounts of money upgrading to the 3GS which doesn't really have that many new features... dunno if anyone else thinks this, but I have a feeling there is gonna' be another iPhone release this week... :/

Why would you release your main item that everyones wanting to see on the first day of the WWDC? now the rest of it is going to be an anti-climaxe.

Recursion
09-06-2009, 02:32 PM
I do agree, personally I think Apple take the piss releasing all these features, it's just to make their financial graphs look better IMO.

Rarelime
09-06-2009, 02:42 PM
I do agree, personally I think Apple take the piss releasing all these features, it's just to make their financial graphs look better IMO.

Precisely, come the next WWDC you'll see them comparing the sales of the 13" Alu MB and the new 13" 'Pro'.

Recursion
09-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Well really, now they have released the App store, 3.0 soon and have made a touchscreen phone what else could they put into it after the basic features they are slowly putting in?

IMO its a cover up for no decent new ideas for the iPhone.

Wolverhampton
09-06-2009, 02:56 PM
7mega pixel camera! :)

only joking, dunno what else they could include in the next iPhone. (next year hopefully! :))

but being Apple, they will find something, hopefully. :)

[Chris]
09-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Rofl.. £440 on P&G On o2.. Pfft..

I want one.. But refuse to pay that price..

You don't need a monthly contract to get an iPhone 3G. There are three models to choose from:

* iPhone 3G 8GB - £342.50
* iPhone 3G S 16GB - £440.40
* iPhone 3G S 32GB - £538.30

When you buy a new iPhone from us, we'll give you 12 months of unlimited web and Wi-Fi. It's called the O2 Web & Wi-Fi Bolt On, and you'll be able to keep it at the end of the 12 months for £10 a month if you like. We'll let you know when it's time.

MrGazet
09-06-2009, 05:01 PM
mhmm...this is interesting..feeling like getting an iPhone now

MrPinkPanther
09-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Well really, now they have released the App store, 3.0 soon and have made a touchscreen phone what else could they put into it after the basic features they are slowly putting in?

IMO its a cover up for no decent new ideas for the iPhone.
Maybe but I have a sneaky suspicion that they know what they are doing. They may have a "revolutionairy new iPhone" but whats the point in announcing it now when iPhone sales are still on the increase? They are probably waiting for iPhone sales to start dipping and then to attract users back to it with a brand new awesome one maybe next year.

Wolverhampton
09-06-2009, 05:36 PM
hope so, upgrade is due then. :P

Jackbee
09-06-2009, 06:19 PM
TBH, it's just dawned on my that this a terrible update by Apply, was expecting much more, but being an 3G user with another year left on my contract, I am very happy! :) I figured that most of the stuff that is included in the 3GS is available via jailbreaking on my 3G, i.e. Video capabilities, better camera (jailbreak app called ClearCam), compass (who cares... :S) ect... the only thing that this has that's better is battery life and faster internet speed, and some minor hardware updates... and I will get most of the same stuff that the 3GS has via the free OS 3.0 update that 3G users are going to be getting on June 17th! - gonna' be absolute mayhem for Apple.

But I have a sneaky suspicion that, Apple, will surprise us all at the end of the WWDC with another iPhone, 3Gi (front facing camera for ''iChat" ect)

Anyone agree? - but I could be completely wrong... and hopefully I am. :P

I agree with that. Although I will probably end up getting it. But I disagree with another iphone at the end of wwdc.. no chance.

The additions should all be in 3.0 - not a whole new phone! for the only physical add-on is the camera, which is only 3mp! and no flash, what were they thinking, but they do this obviously so they can keep on improving it every year. I was expecting more.

Wolverhampton
09-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Flash will come to the iPhone eventually, I thought they'd already confirmed it to being included in the OS 3.0? guess I was wrong.

Is proper Bluetooth transfer coming to OS 3.0 or not?

Recursion
09-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Flash isn't coming to iPhone for a while yet, but Adobe are working with Apple to get it there as they are doing with Google for Android.

Trinity
09-06-2009, 07:55 PM
I agree with that. Although I will probably end up getting it. But I disagree with another iphone at the end of wwdc.. no chance.

The additions should all be in 3.0 - not a whole new phone! for the only physical add-on is the camera, which is only 3mp! and no flash, what were they thinking, but they do this obviously so they can keep on improving it every year. I was expecting more.

Flash will come to the iPhone eventually, I thought they'd already confirmed it to being included in the OS 3.0? guess I was wrong.

Is proper Bluetooth transfer coming to OS 3.0 or not?

Flash isn't coming to iPhone for a while yet, but Adobe are working with Apple to get it there as they are doing with Google for Android.

I believe he meant camera flash.

Kieran
09-06-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm going to try and get an incentive from o2 to take out a new contract with the iPhone 3GS. I'm still on the original at the moment! And I'm annoyed I bought a 13" MB 3 months ago and now for about £60 more I could have got a MBP :l

Wolverhampton
09-06-2009, 08:33 PM
no I mean adobe flash.

Trinity
09-06-2009, 08:39 PM
no I mean adobe flash.

I was on about JackBee :)
He said something about camera flash, then you and Tom started talking about adobe flash... I've confused myself now.

Wolverhampton
09-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Lol nevermind eh?

DaveTaylor
10-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Waiting til September now, dads decided better to wait for contract to run out and then renew on my own account.

Wolverhampton
10-06-2009, 08:06 PM
you won't be missing out on much anyway.

blanky12!
10-06-2009, 08:12 PM
to everyone say that apple are taking the "piss" with the new features, they're not. it's a fantastic way to make money and I will certonally be picking up one sooner or later. I'm going to most likley sell my old iPhone to get it though.

Lµke
10-06-2009, 08:14 PM
I'll be sticking with my unlocked 3G. I would sell it and possibly pay the difference to get the 3GS on PAYG, however i don't think i want to be paying a min of £35 a month for 600 mins and 500 texts. I think ill be moving to a sim only plan with T-mobile once my contract ends in April next year. Which ill just use in my 3G.

Pritty stupid really i understand the way with the subsidy and all, however my bills are usually around £80-£100 a month. 02 will be losing out big-time once my contract is up. I am also not going to bother upgrading because of the stance 'we don't do discounts on iPhone tariffs'.

Plus if anyone has worked out, getting a 3GS 16GB on the cheapest decent plan, currently the £35 a month plan, works out at over £815 a year without any boltons or extra call charges. Then add app purchases and iTunes movies and music downloads. Looking at close to £1000 a year.

Silly really when i just got my mum the new Samsung Tocco ultra for free, 800 mins, unlimited texts and internet. £27 a month x 18 = £486. Less than half the cost.

Really does seem like you get shafted when you pay a 'premium' for apples products.

Jordy
10-06-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm going to try and get an incentive from o2 to take out a new contract with the iPhone 3GS. I'm still on the original at the moment! And I'm annoyed I bought a 13" MB 3 months ago and now for about £60 more I could have got a MBP :lThat's technology for you, I'm afraid you'll always be able to get things far better in just weeks or months after buying something. Suppose you just have to put up with it, it is annoying but unavoidable. If you began waiting out for everything you'd never make a purchase :P

DaveTaylor
10-06-2009, 08:25 PM
you won't be missing out on much anyway.

I have a first gen iPhone so it's a major update for me.

blanky12!
10-06-2009, 08:29 PM
I have a first gen iPhone so it's a major update for me.
yeah, i've had all 3 iphones when I buy this one :P

Wolverhampton
10-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Ok I can see where your coming from if you still have the 1st Gen. :P

I really cannot wait for OS 3.0.

stoned
10-06-2009, 08:47 PM
It's a minor upgrade and the prices are ridiculous. I wouldn't say no to a free one though ;)

DaveTaylor
10-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Ok I can see where your coming from if you still have the 1st Gen. :P

I really cannot wait for OS 3.0.

I had a 3G for a while, but then my dad needed that for work so I went back to my first Gen, and the deal was he'd get me a 3G/or newer being the 3G S now, for my birthday so it's a major bump for me lol.

Wolverhampton
10-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Nice deal tbf, I'd take that. :P

Mint
10-06-2009, 08:50 PM
yeah, i've had all 3 iphones when I buy this one :P

Same, it will be my 6th actual iPhone though. :P

And WOOP WOOP finally a new iPhone. Can't wait!!!!!!

fandas
10-06-2009, 08:54 PM
It looks very good indeed. I shall purchase it when it's out :-)

Recursion
10-06-2009, 09:01 PM
I can't believe all you Apple dudes are creaming over an iPhone that finally has features that other phones have had for 10 years? :S

Wolverhampton
10-06-2009, 09:04 PM
No, it's just because it's Apple, and they'll do it better than any other company will, and you know it deep down. ;)

Recursion
10-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Copy paste can't really be done any better? :P

Tbh, im gunna wait until the N97 comes out and see what happens, haha my contract ends right around the next iPhone should come out, I have to say I wouldn't mind one either way.

Wolverhampton
10-06-2009, 09:57 PM
N97 will probably woop everyones ass tbf.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!