PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Static: DOES YOU DO IT?

Pyroka
13-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Question really, goes out to all the computer builders, Anti-Static products do you use them? :)

Source
13-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Never have and have never had any issues. I just make sure I touch something grounded like a plumbing pipe, computer case etc... to get rid of any static before working on things.

N!ck
13-06-2009, 12:24 PM
I have a wireless anti-static wristband that I use, but apparantly the wireless ones are a pseudoscientific hoax product.

Never had any static problems before though.

Recursion
13-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Never bothered with one, never had any problems with static, just so long as you touch the side of the case its fine.

Tomm
13-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Not really, just touch the case with the power cord plugged in but turned off at the wall socket (Don't leave it plugged in and switched on! :P).

Pyroka
13-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Hmm... LOL. Well I've been silly and have been building my computer, I jsut remembered today theres this thing called 'Static' which can frazzle your computer LMAO. I was like, oh, crappp. I think I discharge on the case because i have to take the chassis apart regardless ,that might be considered as discharge. But anyway, I'm hoping I aint broken the bloody things. It should all be under warranty within 28 days so if it breaks I'll return it. Theres nothin in the FAQs about static damage, just said if its broken then you can get it repaird woot woot.

Recursion
13-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Heh, if my GigaByte mobo died from static (How do you know? LOL), Novatech honored the warranty.

Stephen!
13-06-2009, 01:16 PM
I have always built/modified them without anti-static precautions. I don't even touch something metal before hand. Hell, I even build them on carpet.

Pyroka
13-06-2009, 01:35 PM
I have always built/modified them without anti-static precautions. I don't even touch something metal before hand. Hell, I even build them on carpet.

Same *hi5* :) But knowing my dirty luck, I've frazzled the graphics card and something else. My worry is deffo the GFX CPU & MOBO... Although yeah, GFX and CPU cost a bomb :'( I'll find out in a weeks time when I come back off holiday from Turkey eee.

Mr Sir Android Sir, what dya mean "How do you know"? :P

Chippiewill
13-06-2009, 02:25 PM
I have an anti static mat which also has a clip to clip onto the case, I don't go over the top though like with wristbands, overcoats e.t.c. however I did have £2k worth of hardware that I did not want to break...

GommeInc
13-06-2009, 02:31 PM
My dad used to love going on about using wristbands :S I just tap the sides, and I have mucked around with a computer plugged in and on, aswell as turned on when open (got bored and wanted to see what was making funny noises/chuck paper in the fan and watch it spin). It's an old PC so was just a muck around really :P Anything new or needing care I do it properly.

Flisker
14-06-2009, 03:58 PM
I haven't ever used anti-static stuff when I build my PC and I have carpet etc. Yesterday when I got my new HDD I just got it out the antistatic bag and plugged it in with the PC still on etc. I has never don't any harm to me or the components :P

Recursion
14-06-2009, 04:18 PM
I haven't ever used anti-static stuff when I build my PC and I have carpet etc. Yesterday when I got my new HDD I just got it out the antistatic bag and plugged it in with the PC still on etc. I has never don't any harm to me or the components :P

Dave Taylor told me off for doing that once :(

Flisker
14-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Never done me any harm, I always do it :S I hot swap my HDD's sometimes haha

Robbie
14-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Lol, I usually just stick any new component in, usually with it still plugged in and on :P And I like jamming the fan and it makes strange noises haha.

My Xecuter Connectivity Kit for flashing my 360 set on fire and set the DVD drive on fire with it (I plugged the DVD Power cable into it upside down...)

Berch
14-06-2009, 04:32 PM
I've never used one when putting new stuff in or taking stuff or swapping around never once broke anything hopefully never will.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!