PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a university

Hecktix
16-06-2009, 04:04 PM
is proper hard lol.

So many things to consider.

I wanna do psychology but there are areas of general psychology which bore the hell outta me so I wanna do something about psychology & health.

I wouldn't mind being a psychotherapist.. after years of training and I found two degrees which I quite like...

Counselling & Psychotherapy Studies at the University of Central Lancashire, which I cannot find anywhere if it is accredited by the BPS & without this you can't get graduate registration to the society, which is annoying as you then can't become a chartered psychologist.

Or Psychology & Counselling at the University of Greenwich, which does give you graduate registration to the BPS. But i'm not too sure about studying in London :S

They aren't amazing unis but the courses seem to suit me.. gonna go to open days and have emailed UClan about their psychotherapy course :)

luce
16-06-2009, 04:55 PM
1. Pick a corse
2. See the top universities that do that corse
3. Pick the university that is most appealing with area, extra curriculum activities, local area, halls or accommodation etc :)

Immenseman
16-06-2009, 04:57 PM
when you off to uni ollie

Hecktix
16-06-2009, 05:02 PM
next year jakee :)

lucy it's not that simple.. tbh the top unis for psychology have courses that would bore me to death... it's about finding a course and a location that's right for you.

dirrty
16-06-2009, 05:10 PM
you could go to this (http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2009/may/12/university-guide-psychology) list, see which that has an entry tariff which you could possibly achieve, decent location for you and check out what the courses are like. may take some time, but worth it in the end.

Hecktix
16-06-2009, 05:18 PM
you could go to this (http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2009/may/12/university-guide-psychology) list, see which that has an entry tariff which you could possibly achieve, decent location for you and check out what the courses are like. may take some time, but worth it in the end.

Yeah. I went to a HE convention today and had a chat with a few of the top unis for psychology and they didn't interest me haha.

So I may end up going to a uni that offers a more abstract course in psychology, which I don't mind :)

Immenseman
16-06-2009, 05:38 PM
im going next year too lets go to the same one and hook up

Hecktix
16-06-2009, 05:52 PM
im going next year too lets go to the same one and hook up

k where you looking?

Immenseman
16-06-2009, 05:54 PM
i dno :) i wna do history but it's like AAA everywhere i like

Hecktix
16-06-2009, 05:59 PM
i dno :) i wna do history but it's like AAA everywhere i like

i was worried that it'd be like that for psychology, and it is AAA at all the best psych unis like Birmingham, York, ILC & London City.. but i read through the courses and was like erm.. that sounds crap.

So I'm quite pleased the courses I like have... relaxed entry requirements so I can be pretty certain I can walk onto them :)

CHA!NGANG
16-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Jake man I'm having that problem. Want to do architecture, but all the ones I look at want AAA.. It's like.. I can get AAB cus thats what i'm predicted but AAA is gona be too hard.

Immenseman
16-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Yeah I think I could get like ABB or maybe AAB at a push but AAA is too much of a risk.

Hecktix
16-06-2009, 06:05 PM
I can get AAB hopefully :) Which well.. is more than good enough to get onto the courses I'm liking haha.

LuketheDuke
16-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Im gonna be a Manc '09 fresher and I agree that you gotta balance the course with things like the area in which you to uni.

Oli pick where you want, its 3 years of your life and heckova sum of money. Come join me!!

ifuseekamy
16-06-2009, 06:07 PM
I suppose a lot of universities have brought up what would've been ABB/AAB requirements to AAA because of the new A* grade. If you're only predicted a grade below what they're asking it's still worth applying because a lot of it depends on your personal statement etc. not just your grades.

leah
16-06-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm not looking at any until I get my grades.

Inseriousity.
16-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Aww the uni I was looking at is 3rd bottom for my course according to that guardian website LOL. I don't think I'll ever get the high grades for Oxbridge though.

Hecktix
16-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Aww the uni I was looking at is 3rd bottom for my course according to that guardian website LOL. I don't think I'll ever get the high grades for Oxbridge though.

If you like the course they offer though why should you let that stop you?

Immenseman
16-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Yeah, at the end of the day you need to enjoy where you are and what you're doing.

leah
16-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Jake and John, you're both super intelliegent so AAA would be do-able for you two :P
Most good universities ask for AAB for Law, so atm i'm looking at ones that accept C's just incase. :P

CHA!NGANG
16-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Leah it's good to look now so you can go open days. If you leave it late, you wont be able to go to any as they will be booked up.

Inseriousity.
16-06-2009, 06:37 PM
If you like the course they offer though why should you let that stop you?

It hasn't. The course still looks a lot more interesting than the boring oxbridge course outline. It just doesn't look so good when it's down there but I don't like league tables so my decision won't be affected by what a table says.

Immenseman
16-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Jake and John, you're both super intelliegent so AAA would be do-able for you two :P
Most good universities ask for AAB for Law, so atm i'm looking at ones that accept C's just incase. :P
so true :eusa_danc

Fifteen
16-06-2009, 06:44 PM
http://www.opendays.com/calendar/

The calendar of uni open days guys :)

Immenseman
16-06-2009, 06:45 PM
what are you thinking about now dni? was it bournemouth?

Hecktix
16-06-2009, 06:58 PM

I was looking at Bournemouth:eusa_danc

Fifteen
16-06-2009, 07:24 PM

I was looking at Bournemouth:eusa_danc

Yep, got some well good courses there, well for me anyway.

Was thinking of doing Business Information Technology or Internet Communication Systems or IT Management at Bournemouth Uni.

Information Technology Management or Information Systems at Plymouth Uni.

Information Technology for Education and training at Worcester Uni.

Information Technology at University of Gloucestershire

Information Technology or Inofrmation Technology Management for Business at Bristol UWE

That is my narrowed down list..hah :P Need to go to the open days now.

CHA!NGANG
16-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Thinking of Architecture at:

Nottingham - Want AAA
Bath - Want AAA (My Highest one)
UCL - Want AAB
Leeds - Want BBB (My lowest one)
Newcastle - Want AAA
Sheffield - Want AAA

They all bloody want AAA :@! I have the right subjects, and AAB as predicted, and 1 weeks work experience with the CEO at one of the top Architect firms in the UK but don't think I will get into the top ones. UCL want Art idealy, which I don't do, but may take Design Technology which I do, but I really don't want to stay in London so got some tough decisions to make :P

Swearwolf
16-06-2009, 07:55 PM
am lookin at paramedic courses :D

JackBuddy
19-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Haha, I was foolish and selected in this order:

If they have the course
If the location is nice
If the course is good

alexxxxx
20-06-2009, 07:12 AM
went manchester yesterday, nice place. going sheffield today.

jam666
20-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Thinking of Architecture at:

Nottingham - Want AAA
Bath - Want AAA (My Highest one)
UCL - Want AAB
Leeds - Want BBB (My lowest one)
Newcastle - Want AAA
Sheffield - Want AAA

They all bloody want AAA :@! I have the right subjects, and AAB as predicted, and 1 weeks work experience with the CEO at one of the top Architect firms in the UK but don't think I will get into the top ones. UCL want Art idealy, which I don't do, but may take Design Technology which I do, but I really don't want to stay in London so got some tough decisions to make :P

Heh i have the exact same problem :), have you checked out Northumbria University? Its based in newcastle aswell and they offer an architecture course :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!