PDA

View Full Version : MPs to recieve £10,000 pay rise

-:Undertaker:-
19-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Just how stupid do they think we are? (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1194051/Just-stupid-think-Fury-MPs-finally-publish-expenses--swathes-evidence-blacked-out.html)

Shameless MPs are set to provoke fresh public anger by pocketing a staggering £10,000-a-year pay rise. The salary hike comes as MPs faced a backlash today over their blatant attempt to cover up expenses scams.

After weeks of public fury at leaked details, Commons officials unlocked their files yesterday - with crucial details covered in thick black ink.

It meant MPs who 'flipped' homes to claim on different properties - or charged for services such as moat-cleaning - were spared further embarrassment. Despite growing fury among voters, it has now been revealed that they are to be rewarded for their greed with a £10,000 pay rise.

The head of the body that will now set their pay said they were underpaid by '10 to 15 per cent'. The astonishing rise - up to five times the rate of inflation - comes as millions of workers across Britain face the threat of redundancy, salary freezes and even pay cuts. Commons authorities compounded the growing outrage by slipping out a list of 200 MPs who are paying back almost £500,000 - with no explanation of why.

I really love this comment on the Daily Mail website, really sums it up;

I really do feel sorry for these poor MP's. Perhaps we are all being a little hard on them. It's a difficult job, they deserve sympathy and understanding. I really feel this £10,000 rise is totally justified. I don't mind paying more tax to help them. - Mr Insane, Manchester

Assumsing this is true and for what they did anyway - I'd throw the whole lot of them out, politcians in Iran seem to have more respect than politicians here. It is really amazing how we can tell Iran & other countrys what is right and what is wrong yet our MP's still have their snouts in the trough.

Tintinnabulate
19-06-2009, 04:03 PM
I am seriously starting to hate all MPs.

Our MP claimed for a £200 rug, £300 weekly on food, expensive fridges, like £5000 on furniture, bought two TVs the idiot.

I reckon they should be forced to give all the stuff back (or be forced to give everything they claim) to charity when they retire or dont get re-elected. If they break it or dont then they should be forced to pay for it.

19-06-2009, 04:13 PM
They should go to court like any of us would have to if we were found fiddling expenses/being involved with fraud. The Queen should dissolve parliament of her 'honourable' MPs and hold a general election, with MPs found out to be in the wrong being barred from standing again and sent to prison.

Gordon Brown has pledged transparency, yet the House of Commons has just released its version of the expenses and the sheets are blanked out in key detail areas and that means if the Daily Telegraph hadn't published the claims then we would never of known about duckhouses, biscuits and tippex along with ghost mortages.

Meanwhile he has decided to hold a so called inquiry on the Iraq War, which will be done behind closed doors, will blame nobody and parts of it will only be released after the next general election, and the rest we will never see as it will be covered in blank ink. It shows how honourable they are, just like Tony Blairs expenses were 'accidently' shredded, how convienent.

luce
19-06-2009, 07:57 PM
in all fairness it is a hard job and i would support this move if they hadn't had this whole expenses thing. but becuase of that i think they loose all right to represent the country let alone pocket a bonus more then some pocket a year.

Starburst..x
19-06-2009, 07:58 PM
The MP's are the biggest benefit scrounging, tax dodging cheats out there as shown lately, and they have the cheek to turn around and tell us all not to be late with paying taxes or trying to avoid paying tax etc etc.
They are all scumbags the lot of them. End Of

Technologic
19-06-2009, 08:23 PM
MPs get **** pay. They are hard working people and they always have to take ****. That's the reason they use the expenses. Give them better pay, give them a free flat and everything will be sorted.

Starburst..x
19-06-2009, 08:32 PM
MPs get **** pay. They are hard working people and they always have to take ****. That's the reason they use the expenses. Give them better pay, give them a free flat and everything will be sorted.

I get **** pay, I am a very hardworking person and I always take **** when I'm at work. Does that give me an excuse to fiddle with my taxes and claim as many expenses as I can?

Technologic
19-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Do you run the country? No.

Starburst..x
19-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Yeah but it's not like it's a small group of people 'running' the country, there's hundreds of them in parliament and they all manage to screw it up together. They are the most undeserving people to recieve a payrise (if it's true) I can think of plenty of other people that deserve it.

So whether they run the country or not, how does that justify using taxpayers money for their own pleasure?

Technologic
19-06-2009, 09:02 PM
There are 646 MPs in the houses of Parliament, around 620 of those are decent, hard working people who want a change. The other 26 are the ones who are always in the news.

ifuseekamy
19-06-2009, 09:08 PM
They are the most undeserving people to recieve a payrise (if it's true) I can think of plenty of other people that deserve it.
Cristiano Ronaldo?

Starburst..x
19-06-2009, 09:14 PM
That may be so, so why are these 'decent' MPs not getting their act together and bringing about change that people are shouting for, but are instead giving empty promises and being overshadowed by those who are acting out of line.

Starburst..x
19-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Cristiano Ronaldo?
Lol, okay he is another one of the most undeserving people to recieve a payrise.

Immenseman
19-06-2009, 09:16 PM
i don't see the issue. you're basing this argument around the expenses row, sure it's wrong but they're only human. the system was wrong and has since been amended - any of us in the same situation would have claimed for what we could.

Starburst..x
19-06-2009, 09:28 PM
The issue is that millions of hardworking people had a large quantity of their wages taken out in tax which is mean't to pay for things like education, the NHS and other factors which was then instead spent on stupid things like MPs claiming for 2nd mortgages that didnt exist, other members of their families mortgages, duck islands, tampons, jars of marmite, gardens, house renovations - you name it they spent it.
They may only be human, but they are the Government and should know better, because if you were to do the same thing i.e fiddle with your taxes they would come down on you like a ton of bricks.

Immenseman
19-06-2009, 09:29 PM
MPs are hard working people too, end of.

Starburst..x
19-06-2009, 09:37 PM
They may be, but in no way does it make what they did and probably still continue to do any less of a crime or in anyway justify it.

myke
19-06-2009, 09:38 PM
They need the pay rise to pay back what they owe lol

19-06-2009, 10:43 PM
i don't see the issue. you're basing this argument around the expenses row, sure it's wrong but they're only human. the system was wrong and has since been amended - any of us in the same situation would have claimed for what we could.

Out of the number of around 650 MPs in our House of Commons (far too many anyway) i'd say around 400 of them are worthwhile. Also to someone who said 'run the country' well it would be good if they actually did, you had the former Europe Minister Caroline Flint who when was minister for Europe, didn't even read the Lisbon Treaty yet was happy to sign our country up to it!

They may be hard working, but so are people all around the country who aren't having pay rises this year, who are working a month/few days for nothing to keep their company afloat, who are out of work and finally do not rip their company off for all its worth in expenses - because if they were found out to be doing what our MPs have been upto they'd be fired on the spot.

There were rules for MPs in the expenses row, simple rules which they failed and knew they were not following yet they thought they could get away with it. I wouldn't keep the taxpayer paying for a ghost mortage as an MP as that is fraud and many other MPs had the sense not to - because they knew it was wrong.

Below Myke has summed it up, they should be getting a wage cut if anything like people all around the country are, or even better - thrown out of the job when it comes to the elections.

They need the pay rise to pay back what they owe lol

alexxxxx
20-06-2009, 06:56 AM
Most MPs expenses weren't fraudelent, they were just not in the spirit of the system. If they are recieving £10k more and we no longer need to pay for their furniture or taxes or whatever other rules they bring up, I guess it's OK. If the expenses rules are unchanged, it's a bad thing.

Niall!
20-06-2009, 02:00 PM
What did you expect? They need something to cover their lack of money and to pay for that next chandelier.

GommeInc
21-06-2009, 02:40 PM
We need a Guy Fawkes. Blow the whole Houses of Parliament up with all the annoying MPs in and get the Queen to run the country again, she's been taught how to do most things and just have Phillip as Foreign Secretary = perfect Britain.

I feel sorry for the MPs who have done no wrong for now getting a bad image thanks to their piers and the media. I don't get why loads of politicians are getting paid so much anyway. They really should only have an above average salary - there was a phrase for policitians, something like public servants but less creepy. There's a woman in Suffolk who gets more than the PM and says she deserves every penny. I can't remember what she did though, some council.

Chippiewill
21-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Nah, we need V from 'V for Vendetta'. I think they should be payed for each day that they actually turn up at parliament. They don't actually ever have to turn up if they don't want to...

22-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Why should these clowns get a pay rise whether they have been fiddling expenses or not? - everyone else is out of work/having to take a pay cut. It is an absolute joke, and the fact that some MPs attempted to vote for the arrogant and out of touch Margaret Beckett as Speaker to clean up the system when she herself was one of the biggest fraudsters going, an absolute joke.

Be gone with the whole lot of them.

GommeInc
23-06-2009, 11:46 AM
I don't get why they need paying alot, when a politician IS effectively a civil servant - they run the country on behalf of us. They serve us, not we serve them. HUGE difference. The maximum income for an MP should be no more than 40,000 to 60,000. They do not need anymore than that. It's obsurd to think they need money chucked at them by the bucket full.

Alkaz
23-06-2009, 12:16 PM
My local MP claimed rediculous amounts over the past 3 years, and he had to have a second home in London because he couldnt cope with the 27 mile journey from westminster to where he lives. He said he tried to do it but couldnt cope, unlike thousands who do it every day and much longer journeys home. Its just ridiculous. They also get a 'House of Fraiser' shopping list allowence for there second home which they are allowed to claim for which includes like £20,000 worth of furniture including £100 dining chairs, £600 tables, £1000 fridges, £500 sound systems. Its absolutely stupid, its not like they were lacking in freebies before hand, even if they were they earn enough to buy stuff their self.

If anything the expenses should be examined alot more and they all should be taking a £10,000 pay cut, in the economic times a £10,000 pay rise is extremely unfair for everyone but I guess it will hit the 2.2 million un-employed in the UK even more.

GommeInc
23-06-2009, 12:40 PM
My local MP claimed rediculous amounts over the past 3 years, and he had to have a second home in London because he couldnt cope with the 27 mile journey from westminster to where he lives. He said he tried to do it but couldnt cope, unlike thousands who do it every day and much longer journeys home. Its just ridiculous. They also get a 'House of Fraiser' shopping list allowence for there second home which they are allowed to claim for which includes like £20,000 worth of furniture including £100 dining chairs, £600 tables, £1000 fridges, £500 sound systems. Its absolutely stupid, its not like they were lacking in freebies before hand, even if they were they earn enough to buy stuff their self.

If anything the expenses should be examined alot more and they all should be taking a £10,000 pay cut, in the economic times a £10,000 pay rise is extremely unfair for everyone but I guess it will hit the 2.2 million un-employed in the UK even more.
Agreed. I don't get why people get freebies when they get given a high salary anyway, and a second home is pointless when really all they need is a small flat, not a huge town house - and that's for MPs who have to travel great distances or will find it difficult (it would be unfair setting a mile radius limit, when not everyone is the same and may need a second home/flat/apartment if travel in general is crap).

Alkaz
23-06-2009, 01:21 PM
The government should build an accomodation building in west london exclusively for MP's. It should be totally government owned, MP's wouldnt be able to let it out or sell it. A small furnished flat for the MP's to live in whilst in Westminster. There bills should be paid but they should be expected to pay for food etc.

It would save the hassel of MP's needing to claim for a second home and all the ridiculous things which they claim are needed to help them do their job which is rubbish. They will have a perminant second home whilst in office and the only expenses they should be allowed to claim for then is travel and staff.

GommeInc
23-06-2009, 02:07 PM
The government should build an accomodation building in west london exclusively for MP's. It should be totally government owned, MP's wouldnt be able to let it out or sell it. A small furnished flat for the MP's to live in whilst in Westminster. There bills should be paid but they should be expected to pay for food etc.

It would save the hassel of MP's needing to claim for a second home and all the ridiculous things which they claim are needed to help them do their job which is rubbish. They will have a perminant second home whilst in office and the only expenses they should be allowed to claim for then is travel and staff.
Suunds like a reasonable idea, but the problem might be with security issues and possible hassles for when MPs are chucked at, plus there are loads!

Alkaz
23-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Give them a bed in there office at westminster.

Starburst..x
23-06-2009, 07:29 PM
I don't get why they need paying alot, when a politician IS effectively a civil servant - they run the country on behalf of us. They serve us, not we serve them. HUGE difference. The maximum income for an MP should be no more than 40,000 to 60,000. They do not need anymore than that. It's obsurd to think they need money chucked at them by the bucket full.

Agreed! I could not of put that better myself! :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!