PDA

View Full Version : Design differs

SunburstTech
23-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Hi, i was just wanting to ask some advice you see i've been coding layouts for about 2-3 years in expandable divs since ss taught me personally untill on the last design i coded for a hosting company i had a issue with the design being too big for some screen resolutions and too little for others and i was wondering if there is any fix i coded in expandable divs to save loading time the main background is a color css setting instead of a image and the boxes have tops and bottoms but color css mids because of the simple design i didn't figure i'd run into any problems however it seems they have arised i would like to avoid using the dynamic drive auto redirect script however i've heard that tables load differently even though i'd also like to avoid this any solutions?

kk.
23-06-2009, 07:41 PM
instead of using a specific width for boxes eg: 900px use a %. If you have a container at 80%, it will go to 80% of the browser width. I cant remember as its been ages since i coded btu i think its called fluid coding because all the boxes change as you change the size of the browser window. It can look quite horrible on some websites. I think theres also a way of determining the browser/screen resolution too and then redirect the browser to a different source code so it changes for each one.

Johno
23-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Yeah, its the difference between static and fluid coding/designing. When I code, I do try to stick to using fluid methods (so using percentages, rather than specifically defining) but sometimes you do need to simply declare exactly how big it will be and just hope for the best!

SunburstTech
24-06-2009, 11:28 PM
thanks for the advice hopefully it will fix my problem +rep to both if i have enough

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!