PDA

View Full Version : Games just arent what they used to be.

PaulMacC
24-06-2009, 02:05 AM
What do you prefer, the games today or the old games (SNES, N64, PS1)
I've been playing a lot of SNES games lately and their atmosphere, music and graphics are so simple yet the games in my opinion at x10 better than most of the stuff out there on the market today.

Oleh
24-06-2009, 06:25 AM
because then games were easy to make and they focused on gameplay and stuff

mangle
24-06-2009, 08:20 AM
They were simple, it was a better time!
Today they need to push story, gameplay, MP, graphics etc.

Wootzeh
24-06-2009, 08:48 AM
The new games, they're just better to look at and better to play.

Favourtism
24-06-2009, 09:35 AM
cod4> snes ****

GommeInc
24-06-2009, 03:13 PM
I prefer the happy middle - graphics were OK but gameplay was fun, especially the games where you can chuck everything around :D Games don't have the capacity to do that now, considering most of the time and space is wasted on the graphics and corny chat up lines.

PaulMacC
24-06-2009, 03:22 PM
cod4> snes ****
You clearly havent played Castlevania, Chrono Trigger or any of the Final Fantasy games on the Super Nintendo. You should have some respect for the greatest gaming titles of all time which built the foundation for the Call of Duty title to appear.

Coheed&Cambria
24-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Yeah most games now focus alot on the online capabilities. Which in all fairness, Online play is good but you cant beat games on the old systems.

24-06-2009, 04:24 PM
You clearly havent played Castlevania, Chrono Trigger or any of the Final Fantasy games on the Super Nintendo. You should have some respect for the greatest gaming titles of all time which built the foundation for the Call of Duty title to appear.

why get so defensive just becuase his opinion is different than yours?

but id rather play multiplayer games now than play by myself on n64 or something like that imo. just funner to play with other people than always by yourself.

FlyingJesus
24-06-2009, 04:43 PM
I prefer the happy middle - graphics were OK but gameplay was fun, especially the games where you can chuck everything around :D Games don't have the capacity to do that now, considering most of the time and space is wasted on the graphics and corny chat up lines.

init, PS1/PS2 era probably produced the best games in terms of gameplay. Going back to SNES and such is disappointing - they're never as good as you remember them being

Jordan3606
24-06-2009, 04:47 PM
PS1 is where its at (y)

So many great games on that console.

Fez
24-06-2009, 05:32 PM
I think the days of the PS2 and the end days of the PS1 is a period in which was ''the best gaming era evar!!11", so many good games came out then. But nowadays, gaming isn't about providing a service or product for the gamer, it's about getting as much money as possible out of the consumer.

ecstasy
24-06-2009, 05:37 PM
games today dont last long enough, like the old ones did

Jam
24-06-2009, 05:44 PM
I loved my Megadrive and PS1, I was never off them, and the PS2 was good for a few years but now my Xbox 360, Wii and PS3 just rot.

Niall!
24-06-2009, 05:55 PM
PC has always had the best games.

MrPinkPanther
24-06-2009, 07:02 PM
games today dont last long enough, like the old ones did
Agreed, which is why I actually prefer it if they dont have online multiplayer. Some sort of multiplayer is good for playing with mates but I always have thought that single player should be the main element and multiplayer after. The only game in my opinion that has lived anywhere near up to the "classic" standards is super mario galaxy. I think original gaming has died since the N64 with consoles now releasing carbon copies of old games rather than innovating.

GommeInc
24-06-2009, 07:11 PM
init, PS1/PS2 era probably produced the best games in terms of gameplay. Going back to SNES and such is disappointing - they're never as good as you remember them being
There was this awesome PS1 game that involved a futuristic helecopter and you were a police officer and had to shoot down baddies on a new space base on the moon or something. That was awesome, they don't make games like that anymore.

Multiplayer is a great concept, it's a shame the games that involve it aren't... GTA IV had potential, but my God was it boring!

AlexOC
24-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Now its just about Graphics, every game wants the best graphics, They forget about gameplay and story.

Neil
24-06-2009, 08:10 PM
There was this awesome PS1 game that involved a futuristic helecopter and you were a police officer and had to shoot down baddies on a new space base on the moon or something. That was awesome, they don't make games like that anymore.

Multiplayer is a great concept, it's a shame the games that involve it aren't... GTA IV had potential, but my God was it boring!

That is on the Playstation store I think, either that or Future Cop LAPD, that's an awesome game.

But anyway, games now are more fun to play I find but they don't hold you as long as games did on older systems, I can't bring myself to play on anything older than the PS2 because they're just not as fun to play with the games we have now but they were definitly more fun when it was just them, was good to have games that would last so long, with the PS3 games can kind of go back to how it was but developers are stupid sometimes so you have companies so Kojima that use the PS3s abilities to make a stupidly huge sized games with awesome graphics but again it's just not that long.

Inseriousity.
24-06-2009, 08:29 PM
My favourite console game is on the PS1. As someone said, I think the new games last for about a day before you've completed the main story, which sucks. :(

Robbie
24-06-2009, 08:36 PM
When you think about it, a PS1 game was 700mb and they were amazing and lasted forever, now you have 360 games at 8gb and PS3 games at like 30gb or whatever and they just focus on graphics and online.

I WANT LONG GAMES, 700MB ON YOUR DISK FOR A LONG GAME DOESNT TAKE UP THAT MUCH!

Neversoft
24-06-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm with GommeInc, I prefer the middle. The fifth generation was awesome with games like Goldeneye, Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 64, Spider-man and Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2, and so was the sixth generation with Wind Waker, Smash Bros, GTA and so on. The N64/PS1 era and the GG/PS2 era where the best! These days everyones too obbessed with trying to be new, inventive and the best. Forget non-gamers! Who cares about Wii Fit, who wants a new eyetoy, just make some proper games for the fans who made you what you are today!

Robbie
24-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Rayman 1 on PS1 is best PS1 game EVAR.

ElliottThompson
24-06-2009, 09:51 PM
You cant really compare retro gaming with current games, especially how they play and the social gaming side of them.

My view is that you can drone on about retro games being great and that games today are just fodder in comparison but if the game industry didn't develop I think I would have grew out of games a long time ago.

For me and alot of people retro games are enjoyable 80% because of the nostalgia you get playing them, thats a completely different feeling to playing games nowadays which is why I like both.

Jord
24-06-2009, 10:42 PM
When you think about it, a PS1 game was 700mb and they were amazing and lasted forever, now you have 360 games at 8gb and PS3 games at like 30gb or whatever and they just focus on graphics and online.

I WANT LONG GAMES, 700MB ON YOUR DISK FOR A LONG GAME DOESNT TAKE UP THAT MUCH!

I agree with you, I do care about graphics but not as much as gameplay, Aslong as the game is good and gameplay is better Im happy

VelvetClover
24-06-2009, 11:07 PM
What do you prefer, the games today or the old games (SNES, N64, PS1)
I've been playing a lot of SNES games lately and their atmosphere, music and graphics are so simple yet the games in my opinion at x10 better than most of the stuff out there on the market today.

I used to love the PS1.

Callum.
24-06-2009, 11:47 PM
I loved sonic on sega, one game I will never forget.

GommeInc
24-06-2009, 11:56 PM
I'm with GommeInc, I prefer the middle. The fifth generation was awesome with games like Goldeneye, Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 64, Spider-man and Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2, and so was the sixth generation with Wind Waker, Smash Bros, GTA and so on. The N64/PS1 era and the GG/PS2 era where the best! These days everyones too obbessed with trying to be new, inventive and the best. Forget non-gamers! Who cares about Wii Fit, who wants a new eyetoy, just make some proper games for the fans who made you what you are today!
Goldeneye was awesome, it wasn't realistic but it was fun. Shooting out computers and desks that exploded are cool :D Despite so many things wrong about them, and the levels were built nicely too. Nowadays it's all about jumping platforms rather than climbing a ladder or having difficults getting on a ledge. All those weird, surreal things made up old games. I'd love to see if someone can attempt to make a decent James Bond game like Goldeneye :D

If Sonic Team/SEGA love their 3D Sonic so much, they should do something like Brawl with Sonic, have a 3D Sonic in side scrawling game - at least that would be more interesting and speed worthy than the current, slow 3D Sonic :D

J0SH
25-06-2009, 06:43 PM
The consept was good, such as Super Mario on N64 or whatever it was called, back then it was good, but if they released the exact game on full HD graphics, then I'd obviously think this generations are better. Best old game has to be Tetris though.

ElliottThompson
25-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Totally agree with you

OK so these are companies and companies want to make money but come on! We dont want a finger sensor that measures your vitality we want IMMERSIVE GAMEPLAY, each e3 now we will see companies knowing full well who backed them from the beginning and knowing exactly what real gamers want (not superficial wii sports / wii fit gamers) but still pump out a load of tatty casual games that last 1 hour tops with a very minimal amount of hardcore games on the side with actual long lasting content in them. We all should have left the console games market ages ago as without their real gamers there would be no base for the games industry and they may aswell change the name to "Life Style Applications"...
As of e3 2009 the only game platform without a gimicky motion controller is the PC :$

Simmzay
26-06-2009, 09:47 AM
I preferred SNES/Megadrive mainly because 2D platforming is my favourite genre.

J0SH
26-06-2009, 10:32 AM
PC has always had the best games.

Escape from Monkey Island<3

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!