PDA

View Full Version : 2 Monitors on 1 PC

25-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Ok so with some birthday cash next month I want to get 2 19" LCD HD monitors and connect them on my pc. Just making sure I will know what to get. I just need to have two video cards and the 2 monitors than the rest is just configuring it on the pc right? Also are there any pc specifications to put your xbox 360 so that it plays through the computer on one of the monitors.
Thanks and +rep for help.

Mentor
25-06-2009, 10:03 PM
You only need the one graphics card, most graphics cards will ether come with a vga and dvi or more commonly nowadays 2 dvi's.
If your monitor's are vga, a dvi-to-vga adapters all you need. They cost about £2 from somewhere like ebuyer.
Once both monitors are plugged in, activating the second is as simple as opening the display settings box and ticking the extend my desktop check box :)

So just stick with the one gfx :p

For the xbox, some monitors do come with more than one input, meaning u can just switch between em. Running it on to the PC isnt really possible though.

26-06-2009, 12:31 AM
You only need the one graphics card, most graphics cards will ether come with a vga and dvi or more commonly nowadays 2 dvi's.
If your monitor's are vga, a dvi-to-vga adapters all you need. They cost about £2 from somewhere like ebuyer.
Once both monitors are plugged in, activating the second is as simple as opening the display settings box and ticking the extend my desktop check box :)

So just stick with the one gfx :p

For the xbox, some monitors do come with more than one input, meaning u can just switch between em. Running it on to the PC isnt really possible though.

Oh wow thats really cool thanks.
And idk if you can in the uk, but here you can buy these $50 conversion cords so that you can have the xbox screen from your computer monitor rather than a television.
+rep.

Mentor
26-06-2009, 12:49 AM
You can buy em, i just dont really think its worth the cash, as the price isnt far off affording a decicated moniter for the xbox or whatever.
If the moniter has multiple inputs you can generally do much the same thing without the price.

Suppose its up to you though, its certanly doable if you wanted to :)

26-06-2009, 01:32 AM
Wait so some monitors have the red white yellow cords slots in the back?

Mentor
26-06-2009, 01:40 AM
Some moniters have dvi (longer slot) while others have vga (smaller slot), its often blue.

Chances are you probably have vga, so will need an adaptor to turn the dvi slot in to a second vga. (you may have 2 dvi on the back, in which case u may already be using 1 adaptor)

There are other outputs though such as s-video (circular one), hdmi etc. hdmi can be adapted in the same was a dvi. s-video though is not usable (though generally appears as a 3rd connection)

26-06-2009, 02:10 AM
ahhh. ok. the back of my pc has one vga and one dvi. so I can just go to, say microcenter, and get a dvi to vga converter and plug it in with another monitor and im good to go?

Mentor
26-06-2009, 02:12 AM
ahhh. ok. the back of my pc has one vga and one dvi. so I can just go to, say microcenter, and get a dvi to vga converter and plug it in with another monitor and im good to go?

Pretty much :)

26-06-2009, 02:17 AM
Pretty much :)

alright cool, thanks a lot man.

Blob
28-06-2009, 05:40 PM
If you wanted an xbox and computer on one screen you might aswell get a unbranded tv from ebuyer (26" - £199.99) as they have normal tv ports aswell as some VGA ports.

If not just get leads.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!