PDA

View Full Version : Heatwave Alert - England

Plank
26-06-2009, 03:49 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8121410.stm

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/heathealth/index.html

The Met Office link shows all the details about it, but at the minute we are on Level 2 alert, which means there is a 60% chance of a heatwave for the south of the UK and parts of Wales next week (particularly Monday and Tuesday). It's expected to continue for most of next week, and mixed in will be some storms.

"The Met Office has predicted that around the country daytime temperatures could reach 29-30C, with minimum night-time temperatures of 15-18C."

"London, the East of England, South West, South East and the Midlands are the most likely to be affected."

The Met Office define a heatwave as night temperatures of around 15C+ and day temperatures of around 30C+, so even if we don't reach heatwave levels, it still will be hot in the high 20s!

Geraint
26-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Hope it's nice on Thursday. Off to Oakwood. Probably rain. :@

Immenseman
26-06-2009, 04:01 PM
woohoo, long live south west

Mathew
26-06-2009, 04:15 PM
/me wants a BBQ tomorrow.. :P

Chippiewill
26-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Yay, I missed the melting roads (That was so awesome that year)

dirrty
26-06-2009, 04:22 PM
god can't the weather make up its mind!
first sunny the past few days, then rainy today now heatwave next week lol.

Chippiewill
26-06-2009, 04:27 PM
god can't the weather make up its mind!
first sunny the past few days, then rainy today now heatwave next week lol.

I had no rain, just clouds for about half an hour xD

Geraint
26-06-2009, 04:31 PM
I had the loudest thunder ever last night and it was really long. The windows were shaking. It scared me. :(

buttons
26-06-2009, 04:32 PM
keep it there!! it's been too hot up here, it was 24 degrees for most of yesterday but was 26 at the max unless my thing was wrong and it's still 18 degrees atm :'(

really ger? it hasn't rained here at all n it stays hot till 7ish

Andys
26-06-2009, 04:33 PM
heat wave!?! its pissing it down here

Geraint
26-06-2009, 04:34 PM
keep it there!! it's been too hot up here, it was 24 degrees for most of yesterday but was 26 at the max unless my thing was wrong and it's still 18 degrees atm :'(

really ger? it hasn't rained here at all n it stays hot till 7ish

the heat is here. had very loud thunder last night then it hammered down after it. been raining most of the day. some heavy but most fine drizzle. currently dried up. very annoying when you have to wear a coat and it's warm.

cocaine
26-06-2009, 04:53 PM
oh boo hoo, it's going to be a little bit hot.

Chippiewill
26-06-2009, 04:56 PM
oh boo hoo, it's going to be a little bit hot.

You obvousily don't remember last time, roads were MELTING because our roads weren't made for this kind of heat....

cocaine
26-06-2009, 05:00 PM
You obvousily don't remember last time, roads were MELTING because our roads weren't made for this kind of heat....

well if i obviously dont remember it then it can't have been that bad, could it?

Wahey
26-06-2009, 05:03 PM
oh god no on no
it's too hot here already

Chippiewill
26-06-2009, 05:12 PM
oh god no on no
it's too hot here already

Hehe hot debate :P

Plank
26-06-2009, 05:17 PM
well if i obviously dont remember it then it can't have been that bad, could it?

You don't remember 2003 or 2006, which are up there with some of the worst summers? 2003, there was a heatwave from like June to August, and it had the highest temperature ever recorded in the UK and it caused 2000+ deaths. (30,000+ more across Europe). The extremes in 2006 lasted from about June to July.. July was the warmest month ever on record for the UK.

I remember it because at school it was baking hot for weeks, and there were tons of water fights & people making paper fans, realising they didn't do much because of the effort waving them. It was too hot to work. I also remember the hose pipe bans, because it was apparently the worst drought in something like 100 years.

*thanks to BBC for the facts.

Next week isn't going to be as bad as 03/06 though.

IceNineKills
26-06-2009, 05:23 PM
You don't remember 2003 or 2006, which are up there with some of the worst summers? 2003, there was a heatwave from like June to August, and it had the highest temperature ever recorded in the UK and it caused 2000+ deaths. (30,000+ more across Europe). The extremes in 2006 lasted from about June to July.. July was the warmest month ever on record for the UK.

I remember it because at school it was baking hot for weeks, and there were tons of water fights & people making paper fans, realising they didn't do much because of the effort waving them. It was too hot to work. I also remember the hose pipe bans, because it was apparently the worst drought in something like 100 years.

*thanks to BBC for the facts.

Next week isn't going to be as bad as 03/06 though.

about the word in red; i think you mean best.

i hate it when people moan it's too cold in the winter and they want the summer but when summer comes it's "too hot".

Plank
26-06-2009, 05:39 PM
about the word in red; i think you mean best.

i hate it when people moan it's too cold in the winter and they want the summer but when summer comes it's "too hot".
I love the summer and hot temperatures (although not humidity). I meant worst as in the destruction it caused.

shizzle
26-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Wow, if it's too hot, I'm not stepping foot outside.

Plank
28-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Updated BBC article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8122969.stm

A heatwave is to hit the UK bringing soaring day and night time temperatures and thundery showers throughout the week, the BBC's weather unit have said.
In London the temperature will rise steadily from about 29C on Sunday to about 32C by the end of the week.
In the rest of the UK temperatures will climb from about 22C on Sunday to about 29C on Friday.
However, BBC weather said an on-shore breeze will keep Eastern England and Eastern Scotland cooler during Sunday.
On Friday the Met Office issued a heatwave alert for England and Wales and the Department of Health has asked people to check up on vulnerable friends, relatives and neighbours.
NHS staff have also been warned to prepare for a surge of elderly and ill patients suffering from the heat.
Hit by lightening
The Met Office has predicted that around the country daytime temperatures could reach 29-30C, with minimum night-time temperatures of 15-18C.
London, the East of England, South West, South East and the Midlands are the most likely to be affected.
Above average temperatures are expected in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
The high temperatures will be accompanied by high humidity and thundery showers, BBC weather centre said.
Various parts of England were hit by severe thunderstorms on Saturday night.
In Birmingham, a 16-year-old boy suffered a cardiac arrest and five others were hurt in a lightning strike.

Officials had already said this summer may be warmer than the past couple of years.
With climate change, heatwaves are likely to become more common over the next few decades and the Chief Medical Officer has warned of an increase in deaths in times of hot weather.
Heatwave guidance
The Department of Health has advised people to keep their homes as cool as possible and remembering the needs of friends, relatives and neighbours who could be at risk is essential.
"Windows should be kept shaded and closed when the temperature is hotter outside than inside.
"People with respiratory problems should stay inside during the hottest part of the day," a DoH spokesman said.
Other advice in the government's heatwave plan includes to drink cold drinks like water or fruit juice regularly and avoid tea, coffee and alcohol.
Help the Aged and Age Concern welcomed the advice.
A spokesman said: "Older people, especially those on medication, can often find coping with the heat particularly difficult."

Wootzeh
28-06-2009, 12:30 PM
can't wait to top up ma tan after I finish college Tuesday :D

Technologic
28-06-2009, 01:17 PM
I hate this weather, its 26C, humid as ****, raining and horrible. I feel like im in the rainforest.

dirrty
28-06-2009, 01:24 PM
I hate this weather, its 26C, humid as ****, raining and horrible. I feel like im in the rainforest.
its gonna be horrible. can't just wear a t-shirt because it'll be raining but can't wear like a jacket/hoody because will feel too hot :$

Sarah
28-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Hope it's nice on Thursday. Off to Oakwood. Probably rain. :@

Lucky sod! I might go this week now if the weather is good.
SOUTH WEST WALES HEATWAVE PLEASE.

Alkaz
28-06-2009, 03:44 PM
I love London :D

Nxrissa
28-06-2009, 09:26 PM
oo i is south east hopefully it will hit me :) xox

Geraint
28-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Lucky sod! I might go this week now if the weather is good.
SOUTH WEST WALES HEATWAVE PLEASE.

Wouldn't recommend going Thursday as my school is there. If it rains I will cry. :(

e5
28-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Cool cool, like good weather :)

Robbie
28-06-2009, 09:41 PM
NANNY STATE

Oh it's gonna be a bit hot, get an ice lolly and shut up. What about when people go on holiday. Damn nanny state.

lick
28-06-2009, 09:51 PM
i want it to be that warm hear plz so i can keep ma tan lol

DJ-James911
28-06-2009, 10:01 PM
You guys think that 30+ is hot??!!

In Australia (where I live), in summer it gets to about 43+

Wahey
28-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Try living in scotland where the temperatures like normally 5C
25 is really hot for us

lick
28-06-2009, 11:20 PM
how do u manage wen u go on holz matt lol

-:Undertaker:-
29-06-2009, 04:50 AM
I wonder how long it will be until they try and pinpoint it on 'Global Warming' and use it as a reason to raise taxes/introduce stealth taxes - not long no doubt. Good news anyway, love hot weather. :)

:bev
29-06-2009, 07:06 AM
i wonder if it will come over to the north west of england
ill be chuffin if it does
:)

-:Undertaker:-
29-06-2009, 08:16 AM
i wonder if it will come over to the north west of england
ill be chuffin if it does
:)

As i'm looking out of the window now, it seems its going to be hot here in Liverpool today. :D

Dinosaurawrr
29-06-2009, 09:09 AM
jhdbvhdsbv
keep it away from me i already cant cope with how hot its been !! ;'[

Geraint
29-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Looks pretty hot today, haven't been out yet but the sun is out so it looks like a nice day for me to go to Cardiff.

Plank
29-06-2009, 11:14 AM
NANNY STATE

Oh it's gonna be a bit hot, get an ice lolly and shut up. What about when people go on holiday. Damn nanny state.
I fail to see how a warning of the heat means we live in a nanny state. :S

Anyway, it's lovely out there right now! Pure sun & nice and hot, especially when sitting out in it.

Robbie
29-06-2009, 11:50 AM
I fail to see how a warning of the heat means we live in a nanny state. :S

Anyway, it's lovely out there right now! Pure sun & nice and hot, especially when sitting out in it.

ALERT ALERT! WARM WEATHER WARNING!

Yesterday on the news it was like CONTACT NHS DIRECT IF YOU FIND IT HOT, DO NOT GO OUT IN THE AFTERNOON, INFACT DO NOT GO OUT AT ALL EVER.

I'll go out whenever and do whatever the hell I want in this weather, it's not MEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAA hot anyway.

buttons
29-06-2009, 12:08 PM
how hot is it with u guys? it's 24 here but it's goin up n down
n omg i know matt, even 18 degrees is good 4 us

Sarah
29-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Wouldn't recommend going Thursday as my school is there. If it rains I will cry. :(
Oh thanks for the heads up.
Its really warm today

Plank
29-06-2009, 01:24 PM
ALERT ALERT! WARM WEATHER WARNING!

Yesterday on the news it was like CONTACT NHS DIRECT IF YOU FIND IT HOT, DO NOT GO OUT IN THE AFTERNOON, INFACT DO NOT GO OUT AT ALL EVER.

I'll go out whenever and do whatever the hell I want in this weather, it's not MEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAA hot anyway.

Well the advice isn't for people like you, you don't have to follow it, and I still fail to see how the Met Office issuing a 'heatwave' warning equals a nanny state...

The warnings are for the vulnerable who are affected by the heat, such as the elderly and babies. Most people aren't used to hot temperatures in the 30s and we aren't adapted for it like other countries are.

& it's probably not 'mega' hot where you are because the highest temperatures are in London/South East. It hasn't reached 30 degrees since 2006.

lick
29-06-2009, 02:13 PM
clouds and rain here

**** sake :(

AlexOC
29-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Wow its cloudy here but very warm and humid.

Just had PE last, god it was dreadful.

dirrty
29-06-2009, 02:46 PM
bloody boilin atm

Chippiewill
29-06-2009, 10:30 PM
I have raft building tommorow, in a VERY cold river, should be interesting extremes, my balls will freeze off but my torso and head will fry...

Geraint
29-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Oh thanks for the heads up.
Its really warm today

just found out it's meant to hammer down. **** sake. :(

pretty warm here today. not as warm as sunday but was pretty hot in cardiff.

Immenseman
29-06-2009, 11:07 PM
im hot atm. been LUSH today.

Samishlol
29-06-2009, 11:19 PM
It's been really sunny since last week.

Crimson
30-06-2009, 10:28 AM
YEEESS! I love hot weather! It was 29 yesterday and apparently it's getting hotter :D And for the next 2 weeks I'm outside all day long doing Tennis Coaching for my work experience <3333333

Emotions
30-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Oh, another one? Probably won't happen as usual though.

Meanies
30-06-2009, 11:08 AM
its not even that hot.
was better last week

Plank
30-06-2009, 02:13 PM
its not even that hot.
was better last week
I take it your not in south/east then. It's boiling here!

By the way, over the weekend things are meant to start cooling down, with temperatures back to average and some cooler conditions. Until then, the south/east (away from the west where most of the showers/cloud are) will have sun/heat.

Sad3k..
04-07-2009, 08:11 PM
yeah im in london an damn it was hot the tube was the worst it was like killing us 38 degrees by 9am on it gosh, and i was on those trains

but sitll got m tan hoping for another heatwave

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!