PDA

View Full Version : The Pirate Bay to Take On YouTube, Hulu with The Video Bay

lick
29-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Watch out, Hollywood -- another threat to your profits appears to be setting sail and headed in your direction. A site called The Video Bay aims to make pirated TV shows and Hollywood movies available in hi-def quality for streaming through your Web browser -- no hefty downloads required. The site, reportedly in development by the people behind the controversial site The Pirate Bay, is aiming to compete with Hulu and YouTube. As far as I can tell, the new venture isn't bothering with any cumbersome legal issues such as copyrights and content licences.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/062909-the-pirate-bay-to-take.html?hpg1=bn

cant wait lol, will save me downloading.

Chippiewill
29-06-2009, 06:17 PM
!!!

<heart attack>

SO EXCITED!!!

The Professor
29-06-2009, 06:39 PM
omg if this takes off. so cool

Stephen!
29-06-2009, 08:31 PM
How can it be developed by the people behind the pirate bay if they're in jail?

Samishlol
29-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Hmm this should be good.

Pyroka
29-06-2009, 08:44 PM
How can it be developed by the people behind the pirate bay if they're in jail?

The same way they can maintain a website when they're in jail ;)

Lee
29-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Sorry if I am dumb, but how can they?

Chippiewill
29-06-2009, 08:59 PM
They bribe the prison stewards with free film downloads...

Jordy
29-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Sorry if I am dumb, but how can they?First of all, they're not actually in prison yet, I think it's a couple of weeks yet. There's more people involved than just the owners running the site, most of it is automated but there's a lot of people behind the scenes who weren't involved in the court case.

I don't quite understand their motives, The Video Bay will cost them an awful lot of money and The Pirate Bay's long standing argument has been that they don't host copyright content, just link to it. However now they're actually going to be hosting it?

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a venture too far which will make them bankrupt or in prison for even longer.

TPB is way over-rated anyway, there's better out there.

[Chris]
29-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Haha, Go for it!

Good on them! haha.. Watch it be über awesome haha

Oleh
29-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Once its made, its not getting took down, there already gonna be in prison, so i assume thats why they cba with legal balls

jackass
29-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Looks like it should be good, if it actually lasts...

J0SH
29-06-2009, 09:46 PM
HD streaming will be awesome, I hope this really kicks off..

GommeInc
29-06-2009, 11:51 PM
...How? Chickens? Monster raving loonies?

I'd rather download the films to be honest, saves having to load them up on the internet and waiting for them to load.

First of all, they're not actually in prison yet, I think it's a couple of weeks yet. There's more people involved than just the owners running the site, most of it is automated but there's a lot of people behind the scenes who weren't involved in the court case.

I don't quite understand their motives, The Video Bay will cost them an awful lot of money and The Pirate Bay's long standing argument has been that they don't host copyright content, just link to it. However now they're actually going to be hosting it?

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a venture too far which will make them bankrupt or in prison for even longer.

TPB is way over-rated anyway, there's better out there.
Valid points, they will be hosting the videos which is the opposite of what they were claiming to do with The Pirate Bay :/ It would be interesting to see if this actually materialises, because it's going to be a blood bath when the courts get involved.

Iszak
30-06-2009, 12:12 AM
no hefty downloads required.
You're still downloading the entire movie, it's just buffering it and streaming it so you can watch it.

But on topic, I think it's a good idea, because I can't get Hulu where I am, as for Youtube - you get so much crap such as user generated content (e.g. charlieissocoollike) it's often hard to find what you want and in high quality I might add.

GommeInc
30-06-2009, 12:43 AM
I'd rather they did something with DivX and all those websites that disappeared, so while you're watching it, it saves.

mat64
30-06-2009, 01:49 AM
A slightly more interesting article from the one you linked - http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-launches-youtube-competitor-090627/

Doesn't really see like it's much to get excited about, it might never happen after all. Even then I'd rather just download my movies/shows anyway, better quality (even on HD/HQ streams) and you don't get any of the problems that come with streaming. Took a quick look at their preview video after getting a browser that would work with it, as mentioned in the article it's not much to look at. I'm not going to get my hopes up, even if it does launch as intended the copyright owners are going to have a fit, they've got to them before and they'll get to them again.

Recursion
30-06-2009, 09:00 AM
How will the copyright owners pull them down? Look at TPB, it's still gunna be up while the guys are in prison.

mat64
30-06-2009, 05:55 PM
How will the copyright owners pull them down? Look at TPB, it's still gunna be up while the guys are in prison.I'm sure they'll care alot more about a site hosting their content that a public torrent tracker. This is something they probably started developing before they even had charges brought before them, aswell as that just because someone is in prison doesn't mean they can't have more charges brought against them and therefore action taken against the services. I understand the sites are based Sweden where thier copyright laws are a little more relaxed but it certainly doesn't make them unreachable.

Recursion
30-06-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm sure they'll care alot more about a site hosting their content that a public torrent tracker. This is something they probably started developing before they even had charges brought before them, aswell as that just because someone is in prison doesn't mean they can't have more charges brought against them and therefore action taken against the services. I understand the sites are based Sweden where thier copyright laws are a little more relaxed but it certainly doesn't make them unreachable.

Theres a difference between where the content is hosted (or the servers are located) and where the website is based. No one actually knows where all the servers are hosted, and they have many backup servers.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!