PDA

View Full Version : Work Experience =O +REP

Japan
08-07-2009, 06:13 PM
(Sorry but it's quite long)

Work experience is next march but they're already bugging us to find placements. I want to do medicine when im older, but due to heath and safety and patient confidentiality all I could possibly do in that field of work was to sort out leaflets and hand out tea and biscuits.
So then I thought I could do something that involved people, i.e a school or hospice. Trouble is most hospices are charities and our careers person said that schools are usually a last resort.
So has anyone got any ideas? And do employers really look at work experience because people have told me that they don't really care about what Work experience you did.
+REP to any good replies =D

Alkaz
08-07-2009, 06:15 PM
I dont think it really matters what work experience you do. Just as long as you do it they should be ok. I mean, they cant expect a 15/16 year old to want to do that same job they did on work experience.

Could you try and get at a local drugs company like GSK? Could be good to learn stuff.

Kieeran
08-07-2009, 06:17 PM
When your fresh out of school/college employers will look onto your work experience as a second reference although alot of places dont always check up on references.

Anyway, if you want to do something in medicine ask around in chemists?

Toughened
08-07-2009, 11:08 PM
My manager looked at my placement, only because I done my work experience with them. I got the job straight away too because I had worked with them.
I wouldn't worry about it too much though. Just do something that will give you a little experience and that you will get enjoyment out of, and don't worry if it doesn't relate to what you want to do when you're older, I'm sure that doesn't matter.

//Tom
09-07-2009, 04:15 PM
usually schools hv like the work experience websites where they have a list of the places which r lookin for ppl? u got 1 of dem

Samantha.
09-07-2009, 04:17 PM
I don't think it matters where you go for work experience.
I worked at Iceland and I thought it would be rubbish but it was actually really good but I don't wanna work there when your older. Just go where you can :D

LuketheDuke
09-07-2009, 04:41 PM
I worked at a local newspaper for a week, one of the most boring experiences of my life. And nah it doesnt matter to employers all that much.

Byron
09-07-2009, 04:45 PM
I'd advise you to go where you can get a placement, i ended up at homebase for 2 weeks, thought i'd be bored but it was actually quite good ^^

Charlottay!
11-07-2009, 12:18 PM
i went to an outdoor education centre for 2 weeks. awesome fun.

i wud suggest contacting universities in ur area. some of my friends contacted a local university and went and spent a week in there forensics department.

Nicola
11-07-2009, 04:47 PM
I worked at a home for disabled adults & children. I only ended up working there because my original placement had to move quite far away for the week I was supposed to be working with them. Although it was a last resort I did really enjoy it.
I think employers will look at your work experience - Maybe not so much at where you worked but on how well you did with things such as attendance, communication etc.

Josh-H
11-07-2009, 05:02 PM
No employer will look at your work experience for 2 weeks from year10 or something when you're 16 even tbh.

Bradley.
11-07-2009, 06:14 PM
I've just finished mine on friday at matalan it was awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Japan
12-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks everyone =D
+REP to you all x

JACKTARD
12-07-2009, 06:39 PM
(Sorry but it's quite long)

Work experience is next march but they're already bugging us to find placements. I want to do medicine when im older, but due to heath and safety and patient confidentiality all I could possibly do in that field of work was to sort out leaflets and hand out tea and biscuits.
So then I thought I could do something that involved people, i.e a school or hospice. Trouble is most hospices are charities and our careers person said that schools are usually a last resort.
So has anyone got any ideas? And do employers really look at work experience because people have told me that they don't really care about what Work experience you did.
+REP to any good replies =D

my aunt works at a doctors surgery so in september, i'm workin there, ill be goin out with one of the doctors on his rounds,

so if you have any contacts you should be able to do it somewhere like that

Zuar
12-07-2009, 10:14 PM
you could ring up local universities who offer medicine - many have research centres etc, you could try get in one of them :)

BlueEyedSarah
13-07-2009, 07:17 AM
For my work experience I went to an Infant School and that was the best week I have every done, I didn't want to leave and the children didn't want me to leave, they were the sweetest. I have had a few times asked about my work experience but mainly no one asks about it.

Fehm
20-07-2009, 01:53 PM
I went to Rolls Royce. Not Recommended. Boring as hell, learnt nothing other than I don't want to work there!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!