PDA

View Full Version : PayPal question

Black_Apalachi
10-07-2009, 06:07 AM
Don't know if there's a better forum for this? Sorry if there is.

Anyway, if you sell an item to somebody on PayPal, but then they create a disbute claiming they did not receive the item, what happens then?

Do PayPal review the comments left by either party and make a decision, or is the benefit of the doubt given to the buyer, or seller, or the complaintant regardless?

And if the buyer wins the disbute even after the funds have been transferred to the bank (or are mid-transfer), are the bank obliged to repay it straight back to PayPal?

Cheers.

Thread Moved by :Mobile (Forum Moderator): From Discuss Anything to Technology Discussion.

Sunny.
10-07-2009, 11:55 AM
If you sell something say on ebay, usually it will tell you about Seller Protection if your eligible or not. Non Physical goods you will never win. But if they dispute on physical goods then they review both cases like you said, can take ages for a answer from them though.

About the transfer bit, they put you into negative balance and force you to pay it back or they threaten to send people round your house to collect the money.

Black_Apalachi
10-07-2009, 03:34 PM
If you sell something say on ebay, usually it will tell you about Seller Protection if your eligible or not. Non Physical goods you will never win. But if they dispute on physical goods then they review both cases like you said, can take ages for a answer from them though.

About the transfer bit, they put you into negative balance and force you to pay it back or they threaten to send people round your house to collect the money.

So if it's non-physical goods just sold via PayPal (not eBay), and I'm the seller, I've automatically lost? :S

What exactly happens if I "Escalate the disbute to a PayPal claim"?

Recursion
10-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Nothing, there is never any proof of the existance of the virtual product. What was it anyway? Something like Habbo furniture is against the TOS anyway so good luck with that.

N!ck
10-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Post a reciept to the buyer via recorded delivery whenever you sell virtual goods.

Sunny.
10-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Let me give you a tip when selling virtual goods, without ebay and via paypal only.

Tell the buyer, you only accept Paypal GIFT.

Paypal gift is a very easy way of getting paid for non physical items. You get the full amount WITHOUT any fee's being taken off due to it being a gift payment. Also because they gave you the gift, they cant take it back as they cant open a dispute.

Thats how I do it these days.

Black_Apalachi
11-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Post a reciept to the buyer via recorded delivery whenever you sell virtual goods.

Let me give you a tip when selling virtual goods, without ebay and via paypal only.

Tell the buyer, you only accept Paypal GIFT.

Paypal gift is a very easy way of getting paid for non physical items. You get the full amount WITHOUT any fee's being taken off due to it being a gift payment. Also because they gave you the gift, they cant take it back as they cant open a dispute.

Thats how I do it these days.

Thanks for the tips. Sunny that idea is genious!!!! :D

Robbie
11-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Can still be taken back if it's Unauthorized Transaction - which most idiots do these days.

Black_Apalachi
11-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Can still be taken back if it's Unauthorized Transaction - which most idiots do these days.

Why what makes it unauthorized??

Robbie
11-07-2009, 11:55 AM
If they've used a stolen PayPal to send you money or used a stolen PayPal to transfer themselves money then send it to you. (Trust me 90% of people will do that with virtual goods unless its someone you really trust - lost loads cos of this)

Or they just report it unauthorized.

Black_Apalachi
11-07-2009, 11:59 AM
It's sooo frustrating! You can't do anything without getting scammed these days. Makes you feel like an idiot for actually being safe with others when you seem to be the only safe person!!!!

Robbie
11-07-2009, 12:08 PM
I lost over £900 being scammed websites, PHP coding services and habbo furni. Furni I can understand but PayPal but my account in -£450 AFTER my account was closed because of the PHP Coding and said I had to pay it because they said they never got it and I had no proof.

Needless to say, they kept ringing me demanding £450 - theyve now stopped for some reason and the Financial Ombudsman are on the case.

Stephen!
11-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Paypal gift is a very easy way of getting paid for non physical items. You get the full amount WITHOUT any fee's being taken off due to it being a gift payment.

Not true anymore, they now charge you for gifts too.

Sunny.
11-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Do theyy? I got 2 gift payments last week, they didnt charge me. Might have clicked on and started now.

But yh i forgot about unauthorized, they can still claim backk! Its true paypal is a scam, ive lost around 300-400 pound to scammers too "/.

Best thing to use nowadays is moneybookers as you cant claim back.

Recursion
11-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Or, *SHOCK HORROR* Adhere to the TOS for Habbo, RS or whatever crap you guys play LOL

Black_Apalachi
11-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Do theyy? I got 2 gift payments last week, they didnt charge me. Might have clicked on and started now.

But yh i forgot about unauthorized, they can still claim backk! Its true paypal is a scam, ive lost around 300-400 pound to scammers too "/.

Best thing to use nowadays is moneybookers as you cant claim back.

What are they?

Or, *SHOCK HORROR* Adhere to the TOS for Habbo, RS or whatever crap you guys play LOL

I don't play any more though. Hence why I'm....

Sunny.
11-07-2009, 01:12 PM
No1 really plays anymore,

www.Moneybookers.com

alot safer, if the other person claims then u dnt get effected, moneybookers pays up.
Just hard 2 find buyers with MB.

Black_Apalachi
11-07-2009, 01:29 PM
No1 really plays anymore,

www.Moneybookers.com (http://www.Moneybookers.com)

alot safer, if the other person claims then u dnt get effected, moneybookers pays up.
Just hard 2 find buyers with MB.

Sounds interesting... but surely the company loses loads because of people falsely claiming every time?

BoyBetterKnow
11-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Sandip Badwal (Sunny) is an expert on accepting money through paypal for virtual items ;)

ElliottThompson
12-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Honestly just don't even bother, you will end up being burnt when it comes to paypal and there is no way around it, even if you do get the money over to your debit card paypal will put your account into minus and then unfortunately in come the phonecalls and letters from debt collectors lol.

That happened this me but fortunately I wasn't silly enough to spend the money instantly so I was able to pay it off within days.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!