PDA

View Full Version : Latest Portfolio Design

Sam
10-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Just finished this. Didn't take too long. It was designed for a client but i'm so happy with it i may just hold on to it and make them something else :P

Please give any suggestions for improvements. It was based off of a design the client gave me.

Cheers

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/4058/portfoliocopy.png

Turbocom
10-07-2009, 06:30 PM
little small, maybe its just me.

Fehm
10-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Not bad. Text seems a little random though I must say :P

wsg14
10-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Lots of inspiration from http://www.joewarburton.com/

Sam
10-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Yeah that was the site the client asked me to base it upon so i tried to follow the style, but i didn't want to 100% copy it because that's well... dumb.

He said he wanted the twitter and email part with the same sort of boxes, so i tried to make it unique xD

Anyway the client has been sent the layout, i'm not going to use it because it's too similar to that dude's portfolio for my liking.

iCicada
10-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Great Work!

Keep It up Please :D

user130523
10-07-2009, 09:15 PM
thank you for this, i LOVE it! :D
REP+

also contacted you about getting it coded! (for a price of course)

engaged
10-07-2009, 09:48 PM
you used the same icons.. same boxes.. practically the same logo as joe warburtons site.. :S

Tooplee
10-07-2009, 09:51 PM
You could have at least stated what you based it on in your first post lol. It's exactly the same as my portfolio..

Sam
10-07-2009, 10:54 PM
I wasn't aware it was anyone on this forums so i didn't feel the need. The client already knew whose site it was based off so it's their job to decide whether they include that on the design.

The only thing i used the same is the Mail icon which is a commonly used icon from www.freeiconsweb.com . Infact it hink it's the only one i could find. The design of the boxes is similar, but you'll find on the coded version it is completely different. The client specifically said he wanted the twitter part so i included it, but made sure i used a completely different icon etc. Sure its the same colour scheme, but thats really the only mainly identical part.

So really i dont see how it's 'exactly the same' as your portfolio. The client asked for a design which was similar in colour and features, though not identical. I'm just creating what i was told to do :P

;)

Tooplee
11-07-2009, 10:07 AM
All that's different is that you've replaced the twitter icon with another and added some more text.. it's not 'unique' whatsoever, you've just re-arranged some things so it looks different. Yes, you can take some ideas, but not take the whole lot.

Jake145
11-07-2009, 10:21 AM
That's very nice mate. You got some skill's! ;D

Sam
11-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Well its what they asked for so it's what they got to be honest lol.

Because i'm so sure that your layout is one of a kind. I've seen tons following your style with exactly the same colours as it is.

Jake145
11-07-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm going to be PM'ing you for a Layout soon if your still doing them for free?

Sam
11-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Yeah i'm doing relatively simple ones for free. Theres like 4 or 5 in the queue at the moment though. Struggling to do them all. :P

Tooplee
11-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Well its what they asked for so it's what they got to be honest lol.

Because i'm so sure that your layout is one of a kind. I've seen tons following your style with exactly the same colours as it is.

Please find a site that looks exactly like mine then (and no, don't just copy and paste the layout you've just designed :rolleyes:).

C'mon, the layout is exactly the same.. there's nothing unique about yours. Your client probably asked for a similar site to mine but 1) surely if they're using the portfolio for web design, they should create their own? 2) you should know that you can't directly copy a site, 3) put a unique twist on the design rather than copy the boxes for the previews, the text, the idea for a twitter update.. all you've done is add some more text, that's it lol.

Sam
11-07-2009, 05:14 PM
The text? I always use Verdana size 10....

The twitter was what they wanted. I'm going to sound pretty blunt here, and excuse me if this offends you. I don't care if you're annoyed i supposedly 'copied' your layout. The client wanted it, so i made it. That's really all that matters to me because it's all work that's gone into my portfolio. I took one look at your site, closed it, and made this so it's not like i sat and tried to copy every detail. The colours look similar, but they aren't. They're two shades of black i picked randomly. The gradient is different, the layout previews open with jquery lightbox. I also used jquery to open a content area which is positioned at the top of the layout on the link that i pm'd you. There's your 'unique twist' ;)

Also the boxes are different on mine because i did it by just creating a CSS box with a 3cm white solid border :P

Tooplee
11-07-2009, 05:36 PM
The text? I always use Verdana size 10....

The twitter was what they wanted. I'm going to sound pretty blunt here, and excuse me if this offends you. I don't care if you're annoyed i supposedly 'copied' your layout. The client wanted it, so i made it. That's really all that matters to me because it's all work that's gone into my portfolio. I took one look at your site, closed it, and made this so it's not like i sat and tried to copy every detail. The colours look similar, but they aren't. They're two shades of black i picked randomly. The gradient is different, the layout previews open with jquery lightbox. I also used jquery to open a content area which is positioned at the top of the layout on the link that i pm'd you. There's your 'unique twist' ;)

Also the boxes are different on mine because i did it by just creating a CSS box with a 3cm white solid border :P

Please don't be sarcastic :rolleyes: I wonder where you got the idea of the 3px white border from eh. It just annoys me how people don't think of their own ideas but resort to directly copying others (which is stated by a few people in this thread), it's obvious, don't try and twist it into saying it's not a copy, JUST because there's a subtle colour change or the addition of text.

Sam
11-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Lol then i can't be annoying you because i personally don't copy, and i can think of my own ideas :( I dont see where the sarcasm was in my last message. If you're going to be pissed at anyone, be pissed at fourteen. He asked for the layout so he's the one who cant think up his own ideas, and copies :D

And is yours a 3px white border? If it is then lol, i kinda just guessed a border size that looked alright. Also there isnt just a 'subtle colour change' or 'addition of text'

Not one of the objects or anything are in the same place either :8

engaged
12-07-2009, 03:10 PM
sam, you completely ripped the idea :l look at the logo

Tooplee
12-07-2009, 03:32 PM
LOL I didn't even notice that logo.. it just gets better and better

let's compare shall we, similar logo - check, grey background - check, same 3 x 2 grid of previews all with a white border - check, same twitter update design - check, same text - check, same icons - check

just don't even bother, you've completely ripped the layout, there's nothing unique WHATSOEVER plus the fact that you've copied my layout has been stated by a few people in this thread

engaged
12-07-2009, 04:05 PM
its also funny how the guy who was buying the layout went to sam? If he wanted a design similar to joes surely he would of asked joe lol

user130523
12-07-2009, 06:05 PM
@ jack
i saw free offer and i liked joes portfolio design so i asked for something similar, not a rip :l

aint going to be using it anyways..

l3etrayed
12-07-2009, 06:36 PM
What amazes me, away from the fact that it looks like Joe's design upside down, is that a web designer has gone to someone else to design them a portfolio? =S

Excellent2
12-07-2009, 06:38 PM
It certainly looks like there has been a lot of inspiration taken from Joe's design.

Sam
12-07-2009, 07:48 PM
The funny part is that you actually think i care. It was a free layout, apologies if im not going to spend hours coming up with a unique design. When a client who is getting a free layout says

the whole simple logo/text in the top left hand corner, twitter area in top right hand corner then below them both have the boxes for layouts.

and of course at the bottem an e-mail like thing

He specified he wanted those exact parts.

Then i'm going to just try and get it done as fast as i can when i have 8 other layouts in the queue. Really too lazy to spend hours trying to make it unique.

Don't waste your time ******** at me, because i really dont think i could care less about some guy moaning at me on a forum when i'm just offering a free service.

engaged
12-07-2009, 08:03 PM
The funny part is that you actually think i care. It was a free layout, apologies if im not going to spend hours coming up with a unique design. When a client who is getting a free layout says

He specified he wanted those exact parts.

Then i'm going to just try and get it done as fast as i can when i have 8 other layouts in the queue. Really too lazy to spend hours trying to make it unique.

Don't waste your time ******** at me, because i really dont think i could care less about some guy moaning at me on a forum when i'm just offering a free service.

youre not going to get any real clients, or anywhere in life if you rip

Source
12-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Which is quite a bold statement from engaged, the man who also has known to take too much inspiration.

Excellent2
12-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Which is quite a bold statement from engaged, the man who also has known to take too much inspiration.Was just thinking that. Quite hypocritical.

Sam
12-07-2009, 08:43 PM
youre not going to get any real clients, or anywhere in life if you rip

I dont want any real clients... Creating free layouts was just something i was doing because i couldn't leave my house and there was nothing else to do on the PC. It wasn't ripping, it was following orders ;) What part of that dont you get lol. Yes if i rip layouts, i'm not going to get anywhere in life. I will be some homeless guy on a street corner :rolleyes:

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!