PDA

View Full Version : Website Hosting help +REP

paul4wolves
10-07-2009, 06:47 PM
i was wondering how you make the server cause i have tryed before to make a server so i can sell hosting to people but failed. So far I gather that I need cent os, apache, c panel etc...

I was wondering if you could guide me through making the server please???

And please don't post saying 'theres no point' , 'its cheaper to buy it' etc..

i JUST want the help PLEASE. :)

ill give you a free website if you help me get it working :D

Fehm
10-07-2009, 07:16 PM
If you speak to your host... then Im sure they'd be happy to help you. If you have cPanel installed then there's a lot of options on there that can help you configure it.

More information about your server would be nice. Windows or Linux? VPS or Dedi?

paul4wolves
10-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Wel I have a 3.2 GHZ, 3GB CentOS (linux) server. So far All I have done is installed CentOS, nothing else. Also, I have no host :/ ?? I want to host websites on my server and charge other people to host their websites on it too if you get what I mean.

Tomm
10-07-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm fairly sure you posted about this before. Anyway, before you go charging people for hosting you really need some experience (The ability to set it up would be a minimum..) in server managment. Also if you are hosting it at home, which seems the case so far, you're upstream bandwidth will be no-where near be able to cope with anymore than a very small site so you can forget attempting to host multiple sites and even charging people.

If you want to host a fairly small personal server then you would want to download and compile something like Apache (if you want something a little more lightweight then you can look at lighttpd). As far a control panel goes you don't need one (Just to point out cPanel has a large license fee) since you can do the managment via SSH; this will allow you to get some experience in server managment as well rather than just letting the control panel do all the work for you.

Depending on if you want to use dynamic content (e.g PHP) you'll need to install the appropiate modules for Apache (or lighttpd if you desire) and you might want to look into installing MySQL.

I'm not going to hold your hand and tell you step by step how to setup the sever - you should see this as a learning exercise and attempt to do it yourself. Obviously some Linux experience would be a rather good idea: Prehaps you might want to look into getting some books about linux server managment and Apache configuration. Although, as I said before, don't go thinking you can sell this to people.

paul4wolves
10-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Thank you, this is the reply I was looking for and yes I did post before a while back but no one gave the right answer. So basically, I need to install Apache, MySQL and learn to code in PHP.

paul4wolves
10-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Another thing I want to know is.. Is it possible to use XP/Vista as a server cause I know them MUCH better, if so, how?

Thanks again.

Recursion
10-07-2009, 08:48 PM
You would NEVER, EVER use XP or Vista to host websites off for paying customers. EVER. If you do then you're actually an idiot, especially with Vista :P

paul4wolves
10-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Why, cause it's resource intensive?

N!ck
10-07-2009, 09:15 PM
This sounds like it's at your house. Don't bother.

Robbie
10-07-2009, 09:16 PM
This sounds like it's at your house. Don't bother.

Cannot stress this enough. Please, do not do this for the love of God. :)

paul4wolves
10-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Can't people READ....'And please don't post saying 'theres no point' , 'its cheaper to buy it' etc..'

Recursion
10-07-2009, 09:26 PM
The likelyhood is your ISP will shut your connection off for selling services on a residential package, your upload speed will be crap and you won't be able to afford a cPanel license.

Just don't even try.

N!ck
10-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Can't people READ....'And please don't post saying 'theres no point' , 'its cheaper to buy it' etc..'

NOBODY WILL BUY HOSTING FROM A SERVER THAT IS LOCATED IN YOUR HOUSE.

You do not have any experience managing it, you do not have a uninterruptable power supply and a backup generator, you are not (I think) using server grade hardware and you do not have a high speed parallel internet connection of at least 10Mbps, preferably 100Mbps.

paul4wolves
10-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Hmmm :/

perhaps you are right, I am still going to try and host my own website on it, just for experience purposes and about the 'uninterruptable power supply' most GOOD power supplys will do that job for you. Even laptops now can last for MONTHS with a power inlet obvs.

N!ck
10-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Hmmm :/

perhaps you are right, I am still going to try and host my own website on it, just for experience purposes and about the 'uninterruptable power supply' most GOOD power supplys will do that job for you. Even laptops now can last for MONTHS with a power inlet obvs.

Uninterruptable power supply means if your electricity goes off the server still has power.

By all means set it up for your own playing and learning, but don't take this home server thing any further than that (as in selling services from it).

paul4wolves
10-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Ohh LOL my bad about the power supply, but thanks for the info and 'support'

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!