PDA

View Full Version : Custom PC Questions

AgnesIO
11-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Hey,

A few questions about the PC I am planning on building:

Can anyone suggest a DECENT price processor better than THIS (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167046)
Can anyone suggest a Motherboard that WORKS with the above.
Do I need anything so my computer will find my router??
Will I need a sound card to hear things.
Thanks,

Dom
+Rep to good answers!

paul4wolves
11-07-2009, 08:20 PM
1- anything i7
3 - u need a wifi dongle, just look on ebay
4- ussually the motherboard will have one intergrated

AgnesIO
11-07-2009, 08:23 PM
1- anything i7
3 - u need a wifi dongle, just look on ebay
4- ussually the motherboard will have one intergrated

I don't think I'll use ebay to get something fairly cheap :P

paul4wolves
11-07-2009, 08:26 PM
fair enough, just go to maplins then.

Recursion
11-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Maplins are expensive, just get something a lot cheaper from somewhere like Ebuyer.

Jahova
11-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Can anyone suggest a DECENT price processor better than THIS (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167046)

Answers:

Intel i7 for now or the best AMD Phenom II (bang for buck).
Just look on eBuyer. They are usually more expensive than regular boards, but they are better chips overall.
Ethernet should be built into the motherboard. You may need a wireless dongle or a PCI card to enable wireless networking.
The motherboard usually comes with a decent inbuilt sound card, but if you want better quality then yes, a sound card would be nice.

Hope I have helped with your queries.

paul4wolves
11-07-2009, 09:37 PM

Answers:

Intel i7 for now or the best AMD Phenom II (bang for buck).
Just look on eBuyer. They are usually more expensive than regular boards, but they are better chips overall.
Ethernet should be built into the motherboard. You may need a wireless dongle or a PCI card to enable wireless networking.
The motherboard usually comes with a decent inbuilt sound card, but if you want better quality then yes, a sound card would be nice.

Hope I have helped with your queries.

which is what I said :|

Jahova
12-07-2009, 06:38 AM
No, I added much more detail compared to your shabby post. Plus, I answered all of his questions.

AgnesIO
12-07-2009, 08:26 AM

He helped aswell, and also gave more detail.

Any help is nice! :)

ElliottThompson
12-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Hey umm you asked for some monther boards, well asus are really good in my books (like they say, 100% japan made solid capacitors lol).

If you do end up going for an Intel Dual Core / Quad Core these boards are brilliant and they have different price points depending on what you are after and how upgradable you want your board to be. It supports LGA775 Socket's

If you do go for an i7 chip then this board would be good for you:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159360
It has a sound card built in and supports 7.1 surround sound.
Just remember though it supports DDR3 ram not DDR2, DDR3 is faster anyway :)

Also I dunno if you found a wireless dongle yet but this one is pro:
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/615573/Belkin-F5D7050UK-802-11g-Wireless-USB-2-0-Network-Adapter/Product.html

Hope this helps at all

Stephen!
12-07-2009, 02:05 PM
If your going wireless I cannot stress enough for you to buy a PCI one instead of a USB one. The difference in speed and reliability is night and day.

N!ck
12-07-2009, 02:14 PM
If your going wireless I cannot stress enough for you to buy a PCI one instead of a USB one. The difference in speed and reliability is night and day.

Unless the back of your PC is stuck in a place surrounded by materials that don't like wifi like mine :(. It's great if I pull my PC right out.

AgnesIO
12-07-2009, 02:21 PM

When I say wireless I mean as in router.

Is that the same?

ElliottThompson
12-07-2009, 04:13 PM
When I say wireless I mean as in router.

Is that the same?
You need a wireless router that can network with devices wirelessly, you then need to make sure you computer can connect to the router wirelessly by either purchasing a wireless card or a wireless dongle. I personally prefer dongles as they can be manoeuvred around really easily to get the best reception but wireless cards are generally faster if you can get them in a good place.

Jahova
12-07-2009, 04:48 PM
You need a wireless router that can network with devices wirelessly, you then need to make sure you computer can connect to the router wirelessly by either purchasing a wireless card or a wireless dongle. I personally prefer dongles as they can be manoeuvred around really easily to get the best reception but wireless cards are generally faster if you can get them in a good place.
Also, dongles can usually be cheaper than a good PCI Card. Don't just go for any PCI card (if you do go for one) as some are terrible, make sure you choose from a trusted company and read reviews about them.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!