PDA

View Full Version : Should parents be able to hit children?

Frodo13.
12-07-2009, 11:11 PM
The UK is a country which still allows for moderate spanking of children by their parents in the household. Despite this, there are very strong arguments both for and against this.
I admitted on this forum quiet recently, that throughout my childhood, my father has often whipped me with his belt in order to make me behave, and this has something which has been happening from about the age of 10, to now (I'm now 18). Whilst some may see this as extreame punishment, I believe it has contributed to me becoming a, so far successful teenager and law abiding person.
What are your views on this?

Monopoly
12-07-2009, 11:19 PM
i don't like it, and i wouldn't do it to my kids.
and tbh, i'd be more likely to behave from having my computer taken off me than being slapped about. ;/

brandon
12-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Some people say that you shouldn't whoop yo kids, I wouldn't either but it should be allowed.

Caution
12-07-2009, 11:27 PM
No, it's brutal. I'm too tired to argue why, but it is, and I'm never wrong, so don't doubt me *****.

Rixion
12-07-2009, 11:35 PM
I would say they shouldn't be able to.

Alkaz
12-07-2009, 11:37 PM
The should, they shouldnt be able to use them like a punch bag but you should be able to show your child, your being the important part there, some diciplin. They dont get it at school, where else are they going to get it. Without it you get the paris hilton type wannabes OR the bullies. You NEED diciplin wether its a child or a dog.

Monopoly
12-07-2009, 11:38 PM
i don't hit my dog so i'm not gunna hit my kid.
there's other ways to teach discipline than violence.

Alkaz
12-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Like I just said, you shouldnt use them as a punch bag, a smacked bum or hands now again to show them whos boss is good for them. They need it.

Monopoly
12-07-2009, 11:40 PM
i disagree.
i'd say it's more efficient removing privileges than adding bruises.

-:Undertaker:-
12-07-2009, 11:43 PM
It should be allowed and it works, the parents know how to parent their children better than the state ever will.

Alkaz
12-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Like I just said, using them as a punch bag isnt good! But a smacked bum nown again is good for them. Its instance and shows them whos boss.

If you do something at school the teacher dont say ''aww please can you stop please?'' they just chuck you our or give you a detention and it will normally work. Parents should be able to smack there children without force.

Pyroka
12-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Abusing a kid just makes the kid more likely to get psychological damage when he/she's older I guess. So no, bad. Some kids do deserve it, like the little brats who just push their luck too far, but theres a difference between a slapped bottom (to put them in their place), and actually like whipping them proper.

Alkaz
12-07-2009, 11:46 PM
How many time, a reasonable smack wont hurt! I bet when you were younger your parents hit you. And smacking them as a punishment isnt really abuse, its not as though your breaking bones or scaring them.

buttons
12-07-2009, 11:48 PM
No, it's brutal. I'm too tired to argue why, but it is, and I'm never wrong, so don't doubt me *****.
lol loves it

It should be allowed, not saying I agree with it but I reckon there's no harm teaching your kids some discipline, only if taking away their favourite toys or not letting them out doesn't work. Should be a last resort really, if they're hit (gently) they'll stop what they're doing but if you just shout at them or threaten them they'll be encouraged to wind you up more, a little smack will show them who's boss. It'll stop them from being so spoilt and actually do what they're told.

Frodo13.
12-07-2009, 11:48 PM
It should be allowed and it works, the parents know how to parent their children better than the state ever will.

:o We agree on something. This is perhaps the most conservative view I have, but whippings like the ones I get, work. I've never been in serious trouble, I've done well in school. Heck, I wouldn't dare do things any different in fear of getting a belting. It's a good deterent. In Eatern Countries, many petty criminals get punished with whippings/cannings. I bet the shoplifters/druggies of the UK wouldn't be in any haste to comitt crime again after recieving what they recieve.

Moh
12-07-2009, 11:54 PM
Like I just said, using them as a punch bag isnt good! But a smacked bum nown again is good for them. Its instance and shows them whos boss.

If you do something at school the teacher dont say ''aww please can you stop please?'' they just chuck you our or give you a detention and it will normally work. Parents should be able to smack there children without force.

Even if you get a detention you still do it again =P

But yeah, I agree with you. A smack on the bum is ok. Like why farmers put electric fences up. If a cow gets shocked by an electric fence, it won't go near the fence again. So the child will know that if they do something bad, they will get a smack.

Wayne
13-07-2009, 12:53 AM
No, I disagree with hitting children.

Abbie.
13-07-2009, 12:59 AM
no, i was proper hit badly as a kid for the smallest thing, like i remember having bruises all down my leg for not learning my spellings.

it doesnt help in the long run, it just puts fear into the child, and they will remember the negitives of their parents rather than the positives.

GommeInc
13-07-2009, 02:05 AM
Smacking is fine, thumping them in the face isn't. Different tactics work on different children, it's one thing the government/social services lack the appropriate brain cells, assuming we're all the same - like robots :P Of course, I don't mean beating the crud out of the child behind closed doors, I mean a quick slap across the wrist (which all grandparents do at some point anyway) - this is an "illegal" practice, supposedly.

If removing of privledges does not work, then a slight slap on the wrist may do and vice versa. Children are pretty much dumb anyway, they won't remember verbal things, something physical they do - punished via lack of priviledges or a slight smach etc.

Richie
13-07-2009, 03:44 AM
It depends i don't think hitting defenceless children is ok, but i'm suprised perants don't want to hit teens like i know how much o a ***** i can be

Caution
13-07-2009, 02:23 PM
lol loves it

:eusa_danc

So you all think it's ok for children to be brought up thinking that hitting is the answer?

RandomManJay
14-07-2009, 08:25 AM
I don't really have an opposition to like a slight smack if they've done something wrong (like a slap on the wrist or a smacked bottom etc.) and in some cases it’s the only way to get through to them, but really smacking so they go red or start really crying uncontrollably is going way to far.

I very rarely ever got a smack (sounds a bit dirty lol), I usually just got sent to my room or shouted at until I gave in, only when I did something really bad that I would be smacked. Just as long as the child isn't punished for the slightest thing with a smack, its fine, hurting them everytime is a bit harsh and could damage them psychologically if taken too far.

Wahey
14-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Nope, i got smacked when i was little and my dad tells me now he really regrets it, it's because his parents used to smack him and his brothers when he was little so thought it was the right way to do it but he realised as soon as my he and my mum split up it was wrong

beth
14-07-2009, 08:30 AM
backhand the little sods.

Wahey
14-07-2009, 08:33 AM
backhand the little sods.
They'll get you back for that one day lawl

Blinger1
14-07-2009, 08:50 AM
I am all for smacking kids, if they are winging about some ******** lolly or something, whack em one so they shut up.

Niall!
14-07-2009, 09:34 AM
:o We agree on something. This is perhaps the most conservative view I have, but whippings like the ones I get, work. I've never been in serious trouble, I've done well in school. Heck, I wouldn't dare do things any different in fear of getting a belting. It's a good deterent. In Eatern Countries, many petty criminals get punished with whippings/cannings. I bet the shoplifters/druggies of the UK wouldn't be in any haste to comitt crime again after recieving what they recieve.

I bet you're well boring swotty type in real life, jesus christ grow some ******* balls and have some fun

Also, my parents stopped slapping my arse when they knew I found it hot

Edited by :Mobile (Forum Moderator): Please do not post comments that could offend the feelings of another member.

Frodo13.
14-07-2009, 10:56 AM
I bet you're well boring swotty type in real life, jesus christ grow some ******* balls and have some fun

Also, my parents stopped slapping my arse when they knew I found it hot

Edited by :Mobile (Forum Moderator): Please do not post comments that could offend the feelings of another member.

I know how to have fun thank you very much. I'm down town, in nightclubs most weekends, but as I said, I've still done well in school, and never done anything wrong. I still have the right mix of both. *Removed*

Edited by Catzsy [Forum Super Moderator]: Please do not rude to others - Thanks.

Mikey
14-07-2009, 11:19 AM
I don't support it, parents should take something away from there kids like there xbox, computer or no television for a week.

Dinosaurawrr
14-07-2009, 11:42 AM
the law is that parents CAN hit there children as long as there is no mark. if a mark is left its obv too hard and then they can get prosecuted

i dont agree with slapping personally.
although children can be hard to control

Kieeran
14-07-2009, 11:59 AM
when my mum rasies her fist i run for my lyfe

GoldenMerc
14-07-2009, 12:36 PM
No, I disagree with hitting children.
Same, even if it doesn't physically harm them in a few years. they will remember it.

kuzkasate
24-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Well I dont like it but it does work I suppose and its up to the parents. Its sometimes really frustrating I sometimes do it to my sister. When she starts going mental and not listening and sobbing and being a pain in the bum even tho I told her like 50 times to stop, she carries on... a smack or too solved it :( I wish there was another way...

Fehm
24-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Nope. End of.

Suspective
24-07-2009, 07:51 PM
You can't assualt someone on the street. So No.

myke
24-07-2009, 07:53 PM
@Jordan It's not done with the intent to hurt the kid :s It's to shock them.

Depends on what a persons view on "hit" is.
A smack in the face is a definite no no.
I know plenty of kids who have been "smacked" as children, it hasn't made them any more violent... in fact, they respect their parents more, I think. It doesn't take more than one little smack on the bottom, and the child'll learn. I don't even remember if I was "smacked" as a child... so it realllyyy doesn't cause psycological problems. and anyway, in todays society, if a parent "smacks" their child, even lightly, or even touches them, the child is more likely to play on it being abuse. i know someone whos kid was in town with them and he was running around kicking the pidgeons, the dad went over to the kid grabbed his arm and the kid shouted PLEASE DADDY DONT SMACK ME PLEASE DADDY DONT and started crying, everyone looked and he had to let go... the kid hasn't ever been touched in his life... Just my opinion so yh. bye

Suspective
24-07-2009, 07:55 PM
@Jordan It's not done with the intent to hurt the kid :s It's to shock them.

Depends on what a persons view on "hit" is.
A smack in the face is a definite no no.
I know plenty of kids who have been "smacked" as children, it hasn't made them any more violent... in fact, they respect their parents more, I think. It doesn't take more than one little smack on the bottom, and the child'll learn. I don't even remember if I was "smacked" as a child... so it realllyyy doesn't cause psycological problems. Just my opinion so yh. bye

Its absuse. Exactly you don't know. Theres adults out there, who have mental health problems due to hitting and abuse. It affects them, and makes them violent. They think its the way to resolve issues.

myke
24-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Its absuse. Exactly you don't know. Theres adults out there, who have mental health problems due to hitting and abuse. It affects them, and makes them violent. They think its the way to resolve issues.
This thread isn't about throwing kids down the stairs or punching eight shades of trash out of them, because everyone who has morals knows it's wrong, this is about a gentle slap on their bum :S

cocaine
24-07-2009, 07:57 PM
i was smacked as a child. it works. teach the little *******s a lesson.

myke
24-07-2009, 07:59 PM
i was smacked as a child. it works. teach the little *******s a lesson.

matt you have psycological issues and you're soooo violent :$

no.

Suspective
24-07-2009, 08:01 PM
This thread isn't about throwing kids down the stairs or punching eight shades of trash out of them, because everyone who has morals knows it's wrong, this is about a gentle slap on their bum :S

It shouldn't be legal, some parents will take it to far. Anyway, I respect your opinion.

Alkaz
24-07-2009, 08:01 PM
It does work, everything needs dicipline so it knows the rights and wrongs. If you dont you get people who think they are #1 in everyones lives and their way is the right way. A smack every nown again for doing bad things i.e. smothering the walls in choclate spread then they will know not to do that again or they will get another smack which hurt. It also shows them whos boss.

Suspective
24-07-2009, 08:03 PM
It does work, everything needs dicipline so it knows the rights and wrongs. If you dont you get people who think they are #1 in everyones lives and their way is the right way. A smack every nown again for doing bad things i.e. smothering the walls in choclate spread then they will know not to do that again or they will get another smack which hurt. It also shows them whos boss.

Do you smother the walls in choco? :P
But I still don't agree I'm afraid. Theres other sanctions e.g. Being sent to bedroom, loss of toys/tv/computer/music, being grounded. It depends how old they are as well. I know teenagers don't usually get abused by being hit. As they could fight back.

jackass
24-07-2009, 08:06 PM
I don't think they should, and I know I for one wouldn't. :)

Alkaz
24-07-2009, 08:06 PM
No, it was merely an example.
Children should be smacked and then sent to the bedroom.
We're too obsessed with things like super nanny etc. What do you think happened to people years ago, they got a smack.

lPinoy
24-07-2009, 08:34 PM
in some cases, yes.

Suspective
24-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Lets be religious here haha, God wouldn't approve.

jackass
24-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Lets be religious here haha, God wouldn't approve.

What if you're son was Satan or some other kind of 'bad person'? :P

Sammeth.
24-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Oh I remember having this debate when I was studying childcare.

In my opinion a tap on the wrist, a smack on the bum etc is alright. Parents should be allowed to choose how they discipline their own children. Proper smacking them and full on beating children obviously isn't ok. I wouldn't ever hit my children when I have kiddies, however I can understand if other parents do.

Suspective
24-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Oh I remember having this debate when I was studying childcare.

In my opinion a tap on the wrist, a smack on the bum etc is alright. Parents should be allowed to choose how they discipline their own children. Proper smacking them and full on beating children obviously isn't ok. I wouldn't ever hit my children when I have kiddies, however I can understand if other parents do.

You scare me Sam, when you talk about children. HaHa. Your going to be all over them -

jokes xx love u really

J0SH
24-07-2009, 08:46 PM
A few punches in their head till their vision blurs should do the trick, often kicks in the stomach till they throw up if they misbehave also.

That should get them to behave. :)

Shockwave.2CC
24-07-2009, 09:53 PM
NO!!! :O

Melsia
25-07-2009, 12:21 AM
No, violence never solves any problems in my opinion.
I can see why some parents might want to but I think there are more effective ways of solving behavior issues.

today
25-07-2009, 12:23 AM
A clip round the ear never hurt anyone!

FlyingJesus
25-07-2009, 12:46 AM
i disagree.
i'd say it's more efficient removing privileges than adding bruises.

I was smacked as a child from time to time if I did something really wrong (I was a pretty good kid anyway though so didn't happen often) and it doesn't leave bruises, it's just to show that bad things happen if you misbehave

no, i was proper hit badly as a kid for the smallest thing, like i remember having bruises all down my leg for not learning my spellings.

it doesnt help in the long run, it just puts fear into the child, and they will remember the negitives of their parents rather than the positives.

In the case of proper beatings I'm sure it's not much fun to endure, but the thread's not about the right to beat up a kid, it's about physical discipline which needed be overly strict or heavy

So you all think it's ok for children to be brought up thinking that hitting is the answer?

That doesn't happen, because hitting someone was one of the very few things that would get me a smack - therefore I grew up realising that hitting someone else would get me hurt. Kids these days grow up thinking if they hit someone they might not be able to watch TV for an hour or something, and so what? They can just go out and hit more people instead

Same, even if it doesn't physically harm them in a few years. they will remember it.

I remember it and it doesn't bother me

You can't assualt someone on the street. So No.

No-one's suggesting random attacks on children for no reason, and people on the street aren't your responsibility in any case

It shouldn't be legal, some parents will take it to far. Anyway, I respect your opinion.

If parents are willing to go "too far" then they'll do it no matter what the law is. The law currently states you can't leave marks, but it still happens in some cases

No, violence never solves any problems in my opinion.
I can see why some parents might want to but I think there are more effective ways of solving behavior issues.

Other ways? Yes. More effective ways? Only possibly. Fear is often the best teacher, and when they grow up and realise that it's a teaching method they'll be grateful like I am and like the thread starter is (assuming they are intelligent enough to work out why it was done). Better a tap on the wrist or light smack than negligence and appeasement. Parents these days are too scared to discipline their own children, which is an extremely sad scenario

Immenseman
25-07-2009, 12:50 AM
I agree with it to an extent. It works like classical conditioning I reckon. They do something bad they get a thick ear. They will associate bad things with a negative sanction thus not do them therefore be good, well disciplined children. Obviously, this is if the parents don't actually wollop the children, although some children probably do deserve it but that's a topic for another day.

Jackk
25-07-2009, 12:57 AM
they shouldnt be able to like kick the hell out of them, but i think if there being a little **** they should get a clip around the ear.

Nxrissa
10-08-2009, 02:25 PM
i think its wrong to do it.

VirtualG
03-09-2009, 08:05 AM
i don't like it, and i wouldn't do it to my kids.
and tbh, i'd be more likely to behave from having my computer taken off me than being slapped about. ;/
Yes, same here. And if that didn't fix you, then a "spank" wouldn't. The kid's that people think actually deserve it would only react in a way that would make things worse. If you want your kids to be disiplined sign them up to something like this http://www.cadetnet.gov.au/Pages/Home.aspx
It worked for me and now I've gotten my mates into it and we all love it and behave a lot better :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!