PDA

View Full Version : Teenage boy sucked into pool pump

xxMATTGxx
13-07-2009, 06:51 AM
A 14-year-old schoolboy from the Isle of Man has died while on holiday in Thailand, after he was sucked into a swimming pool pumping system.

It is thought that Nathan Clark was trying to retrieve his goggles from a vent at the bottom of the pool.

The incident happened in the resort of Pattaya, east of the capital Bangkok, where he was staying with his father, brother, stepbrother and stepmother.

A Foreign Office spokeswoman confirmed a teenager had died.

The incident happened on Friday at a water park in the resort, which is 85 miles (137km) from Bangkok.

A Thai police commander said Nathan was swimming with his brother in a whirlpool area when he lifted up a grate to try to retrieve his goggles.

He was then apparently swept into the pool's pumping system.

His brother raised the alarm and his father jumped in to try to find him, but his body was found 30 minutes later in the pool's engine room.

Woah, crazy stuff! Shame about the boy though. May he R.I.P :(.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8147032.stm

Rixion
13-07-2009, 07:20 AM
That's horrible! :(
RIP

Clowgon
13-07-2009, 07:44 AM
:o he must of been terrified.

R.I.P

Samantha.
13-07-2009, 07:55 AM
That would of been so scary :(
RIP

Wahey
13-07-2009, 07:58 AM
Ow, some way to go
R.I.P

//Tom
13-07-2009, 08:08 AM
ouch lol
rip

myke
13-07-2009, 08:17 AM
That's really quite scary...
But, to be fair, he shouldn't of lifted the grill :S
When I was younger, I used to think there was sharks in the grills so I wouldn't go anywhere near them :$ and I thought that there was a secret button somewhere to let some stingrays into the pool :S

xxMATTGxx
13-07-2009, 09:26 AM
When I was younger, I used to think there was sharks in the grills so I wouldn't go anywhere near them :$ and I thought that there was a secret button somewhere to let some stingrays into the pool :S

Serious? Aww haha. Yeah, I do see what your saying. He shouldn't of lifted it. :(

Accipiter
13-07-2009, 09:30 AM
thats some crazy **** o_o the pump shouldn't even be wide enough to fit a human down.

Clowgon
13-07-2009, 09:44 AM

Ye same, at my local swimming pool, there's this kind of a big grill and i always thought there were some sort of monster (s) down there...

still do. :P

e5
13-07-2009, 10:30 AM
That's awful. What a horrible way to die :(

He should have used common sense and felt the rush of the water going down to not lift the grate. Is risking your life to get your goggles back really worth it? Not that he knew he was going to die :l. The grate should have been bolted on.

LuketheDuke
13-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Tragic that, hope his family are coping ok.

Is it me or are there a lot of incidents like this that happen to british families every year? Hope something can be done to make swimming pools less hazardous so things like these dont happen.

Also in Lady in the Water does Paul Giamatti go into the pumping system?

GoldenMerc
13-07-2009, 11:00 AM
So after he went down the drain what did it take him to, i would have thought it would take him to a load of pipes?

Pyroka
13-07-2009, 11:40 AM
The first thing that came to mind was OMNOMNOM.

Sad story like, but lift the grill? =/

*REMOVED*

Post edited by iAdam (Forum Moderator); Please do not avoid the forum filter.

Cryptoo
13-07-2009, 11:41 AM
:O!
they shouldn't be able to be lifted easily! :S

lick
13-07-2009, 11:43 AM
omg that is actually real sad :(

Wahey
13-07-2009, 11:48 AM
So after he went down the drain what did it take him to, i would have thought it would take him to a load of pipes?
They found his body in the engine room apprently

GoldenMerc
13-07-2009, 11:58 AM
I dont get how it could have got their :s
it still sickens me that he was able to lift it, no bolts, nothing.

GommeInc
13-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Surely the grill would of been bolted down? What a horrible way to go though, I'm amazed the pipes would of been big enough. Does Thailand have pretty odd whirlpool systems in their pools? I can't picture anywhere I know with a whirlpool area which has unbolted down grills and huge drains where the water goes down, they usually use powerful pumps :P

I suppose Health and Safety hasn't got them yet, a blessing :P

le harry
13-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Found him in the engine room? Reminds me of a horror movie. Scary stuff. Rip.

Moh
13-07-2009, 12:42 PM
My sister told me there was sharks behind the grids when I was younger :(

Tragic that, hope his family are coping ok.

Is it me or are there a lot of incidents like this that happen to british families every year? Hope something can be done to make swimming pools less hazardous so things like these dont happen.

Also in Lady in the Water does Paul Giamatti go into the pumping system?
Maybe adding bolts would prevent this from happening.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/wave-pool.htm/printable

In that you can see how big the pipes are.

The thing I don't get... how did he get past the propellers?

user130523
13-07-2009, 12:46 PM
omg :(

RIP

Wahey
13-07-2009, 12:47 PM
After looking at that thing about the pipes, that makes the death even more horrible to me

user130523
13-07-2009, 12:51 PM
@ Wahey - i agree ;[

-Heart
13-07-2009, 03:36 PM
It's his own fault. Probably wasn't even trying to find his googles, just wanting to see what was there.

R.I.P anyways.

Wahey
13-07-2009, 03:39 PM
It's his own fault. Probably wasn't even trying to find his googles, just wanting to see what was there.

R.I.P anyways.
Hardly his own fault tbh, yeah he shouldn't have really lifted up the grill, but it should have been bolted down, he would probably hardly have the knowledge how the pumping system works etc, this was all out of innocense.

efq
13-07-2009, 03:41 PM
To be honest the grill thing shouldn't be openable by person at all.

user130523
13-07-2009, 08:54 PM
^ i agree

Fifteen
13-07-2009, 08:57 PM

Me too!

RIP, such a horrible terrifying way to go :(

edit:
Thai police are investigating how Nathan, who had been in the pool with his brother Rhys, 15, was able to lift the vent, which should have been locked.

The video is upsetting as well.

Geraint
13-07-2009, 09:07 PM
We all know that the grill shouldn't have been able to be opened that easily but, come on, anyone with the slightest common sense would know not to even attempt to try and lift one. Apparently, the lifeguards thought it was locked.

GommeInc
13-07-2009, 09:43 PM
We all know that the grill shouldn't have been able to be opened that easily but, come on, anyone with the slightest common sense would know not to even attempt to try and lift one. Apparently, the lifeguards thought it was locked.
If there's no immediate sign of danger then naturally you won't realise or care. He probably didn't even know it was for a pump, just a grill that could be lifted up. It clearly wasn't pumping that hard if he managed to lift off the grill... It's not about common sense, especially when there was nothing to sense danger to begin with, judging by the BBC video, it didn't even look like it was covering anything in particular, so to a young teenager, he wouldn't know what it was for.

PaulMacC
14-07-2009, 12:26 AM
His brother raised the alarm and his father jumped in to try to find him, but his body was found 30 minutes later in the pool's engine room.
That bit scares me.
So sad, hope the family are coping alright.
R.I.P

Caution
14-07-2009, 12:41 AM
Ooh what a way to go, RIP.
When you see the grill on the video it doesn't look as if his goggles would be able to fit through anyway.

Arch
14-07-2009, 02:34 AM
terrible way to go

when i was younger i actually thought the exact same thing lmaoo

Wahey
14-07-2009, 08:19 AM
This has made me more weary about the way i go about my stuff in swimming pools

Blinger1
14-07-2009, 08:49 AM
how ******ed can this guy get, seriously?

HOSKO02
15-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Jesus, has to be one of the top 10 ways to die ;S

Japan
15-07-2009, 10:09 PM
=O Scary for the boy and also scary for the guys in the engine room
=S
RIP x

Callum.
15-07-2009, 10:13 PM
That's awful. What a horrible way to die :(

He should have used common sense and felt the rush of the water going down to not lift the grate. Is risking your life to get your goggles back really worth it? Not that he knew he was going to die :l. The grate should have been bolted on.

wow, just said what I was going to.

he shouldn't of lifted it, but no way should you even be able to lift it.

shizzle
15-07-2009, 10:16 PM
What an end to a holiday. R.I.P.

Catchy
16-07-2009, 12:09 AM
lol r.i.p

Sarah
16-07-2009, 07:30 AM
sad story r.i.p

J0SH
18-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Isn't a nice way to die but how stupid was he?

R.I.P.

Mathew
18-07-2009, 03:25 PM
To be fair, at that age he really should have known better and let them go.
How much will his goggles have cost.. £2? :rolleyes:

Janet Snakehole
19-07-2009, 09:14 PM
what a way to go
RIP :(

Alkaz
19-07-2009, 09:17 PM
How the hell did he get sucked into the system in the first place?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!