PDA

View Full Version : Modern Warfare 2 to cost more for the UK

Fez
17-07-2009, 07:05 PM
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a165504/modern-warfare-2-set-high-launch-price.html

Activision has announced a high launch price for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 as publishers react to growing cost pressures.

The company has confirmed that the highly-anticipated first-person-shooter will carry a RRP of £54.99 when it is released this November.

The follows suggestions that consumers will have to pay much more to purchase many of the major releases in the fourth quarter of 2009, primarily because high development costs and unfavourable currency fluctuations are putting greater pressure on the margins of publishers.

Speaking to MCV, THQ's executive vice president of worldwide publishing Ian Curran said: "Exchange rates between the euro and the pound are making it very difficult for publishers to show an acceptable operating margin in the UK.

"You can't continue to trade as normal when the biggest territory in Europe has seen cost of goods increase by 30% due to the strengthening of the euro. Publishers somehow need to offset this drastic increase in costs. I'm not surprised to see the [Modern Warfare 2] SRP go up and I feel this will continue across more key titles."

[COLOR="Indigo"]Let's try not to get offtopic this time, guys.[/COLOUR]

Southe,
17-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Well i was in a Game earlier and my bro asked about even tho i said it way to earlier but apparently that game wont be getting them in. so ill check the other games next time im by them.

18-07-2009, 03:47 AM
As said in the other thread. The higher price still isnt that bad for a very promising game. I dont think it will affect game sales too much tbh. If they were to raise the price $10 in the US I know exactly what people would do. Just look at it and say, oh well, than buy it anyway.

Posts merged by iAdam (Forum Moderator); Accidental double posts merged.

J0SH
18-07-2009, 04:11 AM
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a165504/modern-warfare-2-set-high-launch-price.html

[COLOR="Indigo"]Let's try not to get offtopic this time, guys.[/COLOUR]

BB Code fail!

I don't think we should be paying more, if that's the case I'll flash my Xbox and get me the game for free, forget giving Infinity Ward my money to support them, when they wanna charge us more.

Blinger1
18-07-2009, 04:35 AM
oh diddums. You guys get charged extra for ONE game and you have a sook. Live in australia, we get charged alot for EVERY game and they get censored. Get over it, honestly.

J0SH
18-07-2009, 04:38 AM
oh diddums. You guys get charged extra for ONE game and you have a sook. Live in australia, we get charged alot for EVERY game and they get censored. Get over it, honestly.

Yep, we're all down about getting payed an extra £10, when we've got a ressesion here, when America probably have enough money to last them forever, soon we'll be paying extra for every game.

Blinger1
18-07-2009, 04:47 AM
I will pretend that makes sense.

In Australia we pay 119.99 AUD for most decent releases. i.e. GTA IV, COD: WAW, Street Fighter 2 HD etc. which is just under 60 pounds. So stop your whinging.

18-07-2009, 05:02 AM
Yep, we're all down about getting payed an extra £10, when we've got a ressesion here, when America probably have enough money to last them forever, soon we'll be paying extra for every game.
Yeah Josh, you guys are the only ones in a recession. The only ones.. :eusa_wall

Australia has it the worst as it sounds right now. But really, dont flash your xbox to save you E10. Just pay the E10, play the game, and have fun. Youll probably end up spending more money on getting it flashed, buying the discs, etc. than you will for the game itself.

Blinger1
18-07-2009, 05:11 AM
Australia has it the worst as it sounds right now.
We always get it worse.

Here are some examples:

one (http://ps3.qj.net/Australia-to-block-online-access-to-games-with-content-beyond-MA-15/pg/49/aid/132494) (yep, edited online play.)
two (http://ps3.qj.net/EB-Games-uncloaks-Assassin-s-Creed-2-Black-Collector-s-Edition/pg/49/aid/131873) (150 bucks for a limited edition game, WHAT!?)
three (http://ps3.qj.net/Sony-we-are-not-gouging-Australia-with-high-PS3-price/pg/49/aid/128432) (We get charged more for the console itself.)
four (http://ps3.qj.net/Silent-Hill-Homecoming-edits-for-Australia-explained/pg/49/aid/127999) (Edited game play for Australians.)

and it keeps on going on :rolleyes:

J0SH
18-07-2009, 01:28 PM
America has tonnes of money, your houses are massive compared to the ones here. But games such as CoD give army training too, so tax payers are funding for it I guess.

@ Blinger the only way you'd pay more is because your exchange rate changes, if you payed with euros it'd probably work out the same price.

18-07-2009, 03:19 PM
America has tonnes of money, your houses are massive compared to the ones here. But games such as CoD give army training too, so tax payers are funding for it I guess.

@ Blinger the only way you'd pay more is because your exchange rate changes, if you payed with euros it'd probably work out the same price.
How in the world would it give army training?

And Im pretty sure Blinger worked it out and it doesent exchange to the same price.

J0SH
18-07-2009, 03:20 PM
I remember when CoD4 first game out on top of the scoreboards were all people who serve in the army etc, I guess when they play it gives them tactics.

18-07-2009, 03:22 PM
I remember when CoD4 first game out on top of the scoreboards were all people who serve in the army etc, I guess when they play it gives them tactics.
How do you know they were in the army? Just because someones gt is General Pwnage doesent mean they are in the army. And if we get out tactics from video games than I wonder how we are the most powerful in the world?

J0SH
18-07-2009, 03:34 PM
There's loads of quotes on Google etc :P

Jesse Hamilton, a former Army staff sergeant who served in Iraq in 2005 and 2006, said the use of video games glamorized war and misled potential recruits, calling it "very deceiving and very far from realistic."

"You can't simulate the loss when you see people getting killed," said Hamilton, who left the Army after his Iraq tour and is now a member of Iraq Veterans Against the War.

Even though he deemed it unrealistic, it still gave him a glimpse of what would happen in a real war.

Plus, why wouldn't unexperienced people who have just joined the army and going to fight on the front line not play the video game to experience thereself with what they're going to go though. After all it's closest to the real thing.

There's a game too called America's Army, it's a free game and America tax payers funded for it, I've got it on Steam. It has all pages on the game about joining the army and people in the army play it. :P

18-07-2009, 03:38 PM
If your talking about the same Americas Army game I know of, its not free at all. And people using the game as training is dumb because its not realistic at all. Thats just gonna brainwash people thinking that if they run into a room shooting everything they see and die, theyll respawn after the rounds over.

J0SH
18-07-2009, 03:43 PM
America's Army 3 was released a few weeks back and it's free :P

Of course they get proper training too, but a video game would still be a form of training, sort of.

18-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Where do people get it for free?

And yeah our military goes through incredibly hard training. I just dont think video games could be much of training.

J0SH
18-07-2009, 06:00 PM
www.steampowered.com

Download Steam, go to store search America's Army 3.

Neil
18-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Games are so far away from real combat it's not even a joke, armies may use simulators to give people a view of what actions should be taken during certain situations but at no point do they sit people down and tell them to play a game for 16 months or however long you train for.

Oleh
18-07-2009, 08:07 PM
I heard the chinese army train there soldiers with counterstrike, you know cos its that counter terrorist - terrorist stuff.

wasnt that chest plate brought out what you plug into your game console and it simulates getting shot?

MrPinkPanther
18-07-2009, 08:18 PM
We always get it worse.

Here are some examples:

two (http://ps3.qj.net/EB-Games-uncloaks-Assassin-s-Creed-2-Black-Collector-s-Edition/pg/49/aid/131873) (150 bucks for a limited edition game, WHAT!?)
three (http://ps3.qj.net/Sony-we-are-not-gouging-Australia-with-high-PS3-price/pg/49/aid/128432) (We get charged more for the console itself.)

and it keeps on going on :rolleyes:
Firstly Assassins creed 2 Black edition is RRPing at approximately the same price here when it comes out. Secondly when the PS3 article was written you were getting the PS3 for £280 whilst we were getting the exact same model for around £320 so if you're trying to prove Australia is more expensive then you are wrong, at least with those examples.

Jordy
19-07-2009, 12:14 AM
wasnt that chest plate brought out what you plug into your game console and it simulates getting shot?I'm pretty sure it's not possible to simulate getting shot without being shot...

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!