PDA

View Full Version : Terrorist threat lowest since 9/11

efq
20-07-2009, 10:03 AM
THE threat of an Al-Qaeda attack on Britain is lower than at any time since before the 9/11 attacks, MI5 has privately concluded.
Well-placed officials said there had been discussions in MI5 over the past month about whether to reduce the terrorist threat level from “severe” – where an attack is deemed highly likely – to “substantial”, where it is “a strong possibility”.
The assessment follows Operation Pathway, one of MI5’s biggest counterterrorist campaigns. It led to the arrest of 11 Pakistani men in April.
The men were released without charge. When no explosives or weapons were found, critics said the operation revealed the absence of any terrorist plot against the UK.

Although MI5 declined to comment, evidence of the perceived lower risk came last week when the US navy moored a warship, the Halyburton, in London.
“The Americans wouldn’t dream of [it] if the threat of an attack was high,” a security official said.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6719189.ece

Rakritia
20-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Well that's reassuring. :D

lick
21-07-2009, 02:02 PM
They have no money to blow anything up cause of the reccesion

Caution
21-07-2009, 02:04 PM
They're probably on their way to bomb us now you've posted that.

Jackk
21-07-2009, 02:23 PM
there just waiting for us to reduce the threat level so they can strike when we least expect it.

J0SH
21-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Yeah, wait till 2012 Olympics :eusa_whis

I don't see how it's lowered since 9/11, it wasn't that high in the first place. They clearly forgot about 7/7 then. :rolleyes:

Jordy
21-07-2009, 02:40 PM
there just waiting for us to reduce the threat level so they can strike when we least expect it.How would you know that? Are you friends with terrorists? Do they tell you their plans and calendars?

There's blatantly making things up and then there's this.

Rakritia
21-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Said on the news its lowest since 7/7.

-:Undertaker:-
21-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Good news it seems, although I suppose they could hit at any time. I know terrorists and so on go for big effects such as targeting airlines, but I have never understood why they don't target places such as airport terminals which they could easily walk into and kill a large number of people.

The most scary thought though is the thought that one day they could use biological weapons, far more scary and would provoke panic across the world, especially in the west.

paul4wolves
21-07-2009, 03:27 PM
So how come there was a bomb in wolverhampton yesterday :/

Fehm
21-07-2009, 03:35 PM
This is the kind of thing you hear days before a multi-thousand people killing wave of destruction hits the world.

Jordy
21-07-2009, 04:08 PM
So how come there was a bomb in wolverhampton yesterday :/That was a bomb scare. It was just a mysterious looking package so they sealed off areas.

-:Undertaker:-
21-07-2009, 04:27 PM
At a large roundabout once in Liverpool (where my school buses also drive past) someone placed a cardboard box there with the word BOMB on the side of it and the whole road was shut while a robot was sent out to see if it was a bomb, turned out the box was empty. :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!