PDA

View Full Version : Google wave - it deserves so much more hype.

Mentor
22-07-2009, 08:23 PM
The demo of google wave at IO is seriously incredible. Despite the hype actually seeing what i can do makes me think it deserves a massive amount more.
When wave comes out it is seriously going to change the entire way the web works O.O

Watch on youtube: (its an hour, but its really interesting)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_UyVmITiYQ

I'm currently only half way through, but really really impressed? Anyone else watched this? Whats everyone else take on it?

Suspective
22-07-2009, 08:26 PM
It hasn't hit all the news sites yet. But I suppose it could be hyped up more.

efq
22-07-2009, 08:43 PM
It is very interesting and I expect Google to produce some brilliant work and as this is only the beginning, what know what they'll bring in later.

Fehm
22-07-2009, 08:48 PM
I physically cannot wait. Is it going to be publicly available at the end of september? Or just to the Developers at the IO Conference thing?

efq
22-07-2009, 09:02 PM
I am watching the whole video cause honestly I couldn't watch it all. I like the thread part within an message.

Fehm
22-07-2009, 09:03 PM
I like the way its sort of an instant messenger mixed with email.. and I havent got any further than that! :P

ecstasy
22-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Someone sum it up for me? I dont really want to watch a 1hr video :P

efq
22-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Someone sum it up for me? I dont really want to watch a 1hr video :P
Honestly, you can't sum it in words :P. You should watch it when you get time because its worth it.

ecstasy
22-07-2009, 09:12 PM
i might give it a go tomorrow then :P

efq
22-07-2009, 09:15 PM
i might give it a go tomorrow then :P
I'll try and find you a list though.

http://sudarmuthu.com/blog/2009/06/04/summary-of-google-wave-keynote-video.html

Watching it will let you visual the amazingness of it though :P Also the makers do make you laugh at times :P like "da lalal the wave dance hey ner ner ner" and "Its not a lot of people in the world that can there dema spectacually fail infront of 4000 people and not break a sweat"

Fehm
22-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Omg, I cant wait :P:P

N!ck
22-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Yeah, I watched the whole vodeo the day it was out. It will be awesome just like everything else Google makes.

ecstasy
22-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Blimey, thats the longest summary i've ever seen. +rep for finding me the link, but i'll watch the video tomorrow instead :P

efq
22-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Blimey, thats the longest summary i've ever seen. +rep for finding me the link, but i'll watch the video tomorrow instead :P
Yeah its worth it + a good laugh :P

Mentor
22-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Yeah, I watched the whole vodeo the day it was out. It will be awesome just like everything else Google makes.

Yea, that video was just epic though, every bit outdid the one before it, and the starting standard was way above whats out there on the net now.

I honestly believe the claim that wave will change the Internet very dramatically for the better... Just finished the video the context sensitive spellchecker and live translation features blew my socks off :p

RastaLulz
22-07-2009, 10:02 PM
I don't like it - it seems to complicated, and unnecessary.

Mentor
22-07-2009, 10:06 PM
I take it you didn't watch any of the clip, as its probably simpler than the average IM client, forum or email app to use, which is part of the genius of the design. You drag and drop photos, you write where you want, in-line. Whats hard?

efq
22-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Yeah, it will be used widely and it is a great for businesses too because as described you could send messages to them, meetings, send messages to specific staff, show photo albums and stuff.

ElliottThompson
23-07-2009, 12:13 AM
That was just WOW
I honestly didn't expect that, seriously, Your right because I cant actually put that video into words, you just need to watch all 1 hour and 20 minutes of it to really understand.

Only gripe: I know that google want this to be as big as e-mail but I still don't like the idea of creating different clients to use the wave :< I would be happy for clients that can implement GOOGLE wave into them but I think it should be kept as a google product. Maybe like uhm Yahoo Email... Now with Google Wave functionality perhaps? But not Yahoo Wave. I guess I like the idea of it being a product that google made rather than a concept that google made. Facebook has shown us that you dont need to go cross client to make a social networking application that will be used widely.

But still, WOW this thing is amazing, its like IM on speed.

Role Play Time:
Hey guys, look at this youtube video!
*pastes in link, right clicks and sets to play the video*
*Video plays INSIDE the conversation to all people viewing*

That feature alone will completely change instant messaging! Make it so much more lively and fast paced!

Jordy
23-07-2009, 06:00 AM
Way ahead of you Elliott, it's being developed as a protocol so in the future other clients can use the Google Wave, much like anyone can create an email client.

I love it but I honestly don't see it as that useful, most of my friends are on Facebook and MSN so that's where I do my instant messaging and Gmail is already good for emailing.

efq
23-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Yeah thats another cool feature, you see live what they are typing. Not 'RANDOMNAME is writing a message...'

The Professor
23-07-2009, 12:14 PM
It'll be one of those things that'll only be good if lots of people use it. If you can't persuade any friends outside the little nerd bubble to adopt it, it'll fail like every other good tech innovation and its dog. Hope it doesn't though!

Excellent2
23-07-2009, 12:54 PM
I can't wait to try this out. People who say that it will overhaul Twitter are wrong, simply because of the UI.

Mentor
23-07-2009, 07:29 PM
I can't wait to try this out. People who say that it will overhaul Twitter are wrong, simply because of the UI.

You can run twitter within it and even do things with twitter twitter itself doesn't support? checkout the twitter bot demo :p

timROGERS
23-07-2009, 07:45 PM
I have Google Wave and I don't really like it personally.

Fehm
23-07-2009, 07:47 PM
I think it'll be great as a more professional communication gateway. I actually cannot wait! :L

Mentor
23-07-2009, 08:14 PM
I have Google Wave and I don't really like it personally.
I'm gonna guess you mean a dev key and access to the sandbox, as google wave hasn't been released yet in any form o.0

Recursion
23-07-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm gonna guess you mean a dev key and access to the sandbox, as google wave hasn't been released yet in any form o.0

It's extremely confusing to the end-user at first, ill tell you that.

Unless they make it easier for "newbies" to get what is going on then it won't take off, it took me a while to work out what was going on and I'm still not sure if I totally get it, but to be fair, now I look at it again I think it was broken yesterday or the day before and now it looks a lot cleaner and nicer to use LOL.

http://img.skitch.com/20090723-ftj717actsf2as27x9gxp6wtcw.png

Mentor
23-07-2009, 10:10 PM
To be honest, the layout is pretty similar to outlook and other email clients so where everything is is pretty much the same, hence my view its simple. The advancement comes in the pure power of what u can do with the waves you create :p

BTW: what app did u say u were plannin to write to apply for the dev preview ?

Jahova
24-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Google have done it again. Well done.

Recursion
24-07-2009, 09:30 AM
To be honest, the layout is pretty similar to outlook and other email clients so where everything is is pretty much the same, hence my view its simple. The advancement comes in the pure power of what u can do with the waves you create :p

BTW: what app did u say u were plannin to write to apply for the dev preview ?

I just ticked whatever boxes applied to me, I was interested in developing games, widgets etc for it and I was going to use it to help learn some languages as a student then only wrote a sentence for each text field, I don't know how, but that managed to get me into it.

Agnostic Bear
24-07-2009, 02:07 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and agree here. I'd rather have all my services (im, email etc) in a familiar way and separated, so if one goes down, the others will stay up and running.

If my mail server goes down, no biggy, I just use one of my other mail servers to send it out until the server is back up.

If MSN goes down (very unlikely), no biggy, I just wait till they bring it back up.

If Google Wave goes down, BAM I've lost access to every service they provide as they bunch it all up into one area.

Besides I hate the designs Google put out, too argh for me to use, I like a good interface like Thunderbird or WLM.

Mentor
24-07-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and agree here. I'd rather have all my services (im, email etc) in a familiar way and separated, so if one goes down, the others will stay up and running.

If my mail server goes down, no biggy, I just use one of my other mail servers to send it out until the server is back up.

If MSN goes down (very unlikely), no biggy, I just wait till they bring it back up.

If Google Wave goes down, BAM I've lost access to every service they provide as they bunch it all up into one area.

Besides I hate the designs Google put out, too argh for me to use, I like a good interface like Thunderbird or WLM.
This is about as informed as your php advice, your wave sever goes down you use your other wave server. The server model is similar to email in that way, you can run your own wave server if you wanted. Equally you could use your own wave client. So you get every bit of reliability of the email, which is more than you do with msn o.0
Dont like the client, make your own, dont trust the server, use your own... simple.

Toughened
24-07-2009, 06:54 PM
All the technical mumbo jumbo is making my head hurt.
I'm more of a practical type person, I have to do it for it to sink in. So listening to a one hour video is not going to do it any justice. I'd need to see it and have a little go of it myself.

GommeInc
24-07-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm more of a practical type person, I have to do it for it to sink in. So listening to a one hour video is not going to do it any justice. I'd need to see it and have a little go of it myself.
Same, when they were playing with blogs ad editing through wave I just wanted to do it myself - it was so frustrating watching parts of that video :P

Dentafrice
24-07-2009, 07:19 PM

It's not just a "service", like they described in the video as the three Ps.

Product (the actual Wave product, such as GMAil..), Platform, Protocol.

Mentor
24-07-2009, 07:22 PM

Tis a technical talk, so more aimed at geeks :p More client aimed ones will appear when the product starts to near completion and enters testing.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!