PDA

View Full Version : DVI & HDMI Monitors (+rep)

Pyroka
23-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Right I've got a situation here, I have a GTX260 Graphics card which has 2 DVI ports, however I want to get a DVI-To-HDMI adaptor so I can plug it into a HDMI monitor. I have a surround sound system already installed and it's pretty good. I'm just confused with the whole HDMI & DVI commotion.

Will I benefit from buying a monitor with a HDMI port, because I've read up that I might not get the digital audio input which you would normally get with HDMI. Would that matter? Yknow, since my speakers are seperate to the monitor so I'm already getting digital sound? :S

So yeah, what should I get in these circumstances, a monitor with DVI & VGA, or a monitor with VGA/DVI/HDMI? The resolution I'm getting is 1920x1080 btw, 22" most likely. If anyone can reccomend monitors for me under £160 (although I'm willing to go over), that'd be great.

+rep to all contributions, hopefully I can spread my rep round to everyone. :)

Recursion
23-07-2009, 10:10 PM
You don't need to worry about the audio if the HDMI is coming from your computer's graphics card because as you say, you already have an audio solution.

Ideally you want DVI or HDMI as these are digital connections for the full 1080p.

Pyroka
23-07-2009, 10:12 PM
No I mean I haven't got HDMI in my GFX, only two DVI ports. I've plugged my surround sound into my motherboard which is HD Audio... Idk the difference to be honest, I feel silly lol.

N!ck
23-07-2009, 10:13 PM
By HDMI monitor are you meaning TV? (I know some monitors do have HDMI ports)

If not you may as well connect via DVI. Audio will go through your speakers as normal which ever connection you use though.

Pyroka
23-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Hmm... I'm not too arsed about "DIGITAL AUDIOOO" which you apparently get with HDMI. I read up DVI is the same as HDMI image-wise, just HDMI does the audio thang. I'm not too arsed on that really.

I meant LCD monitors with HDMI ports, but because there's so little of them they're quite expensive compared to the DVI ones, which is why I'm sort of like hmmm about it. I think it might be a good idea just to go for DVI, as I thought between DVI and HDMI theres a MASSIVE difference between screen quality. Sound honestly doesn't bother me, my speakers are pretty decent anyway. 5 minispeakers plus a bigass bass. :P

Plus I don't have an Xbox 360 or anything so I wouldnt benefit from an extra HDMI port in the future. :] Right I think I might've answered my own question with help of you lot =D yay!!!!

N!ck
23-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Monitors should be connected by DVI or VGA. Don't bother with HDMI as with a computer the sound has bugger all to do with the monitor lol.

ElliottThompson
23-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Your graphics card should have came with one of these connectors:
http://foskett.ws/u/file_dir/1248393061.jpg
http://foskett.ws/u/file_dir/1248393115.jpg
HDMI to DVI connector

These will let you connect a monitor with HDMI ports to your graphics card that only has DVI. HDMI supports sound so if your monitor has speakers you can use these via HDMI unlike DVI.

If you have seperate speakers then just use HDMI for the picture and connect up your speakers to the jacks on ur motherboard or sound card for sound.

And btw I would recommend getting a monitor with HDMI as you can use it for your Xbox 360 or other products via that connection and there will be so much more HDMI supporting hardware coming out soon.

Flisker
24-07-2009, 02:48 AM
Your graphics card should have came with one of these connectors:

HDMI to DVI connector

These will let you connect a monitor with HDMI ports to your graphics card that only has DVI. HDMI supports sound so if your monitor has speakers you can use these via HDMI unlike DVI.

If you have seperate speakers then just use HDMI for the picture and connect up your speakers to the jacks on ur motherboard or sound card for sound.

And btw I would recommend getting a monitor with HDMI as you can use it for your Xbox 360 or other products via that connection and there will be so much more HDMI supporting hardware coming out soon.
I only got a DVI to VGA adaptor with my GTS 250 lol.

Recursion
24-07-2009, 07:12 AM
I only got a DVI to VGA adaptor with my GTS 250 lol.

Same with my 8800GT.

Suspective
24-07-2009, 07:59 AM
I've got all of these, and they work fine.

ElliottThompson
24-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Same with my 8800GT.
Oh, i got it with my ATI 4870, i got the DVI to VGA as well
Pyroka, You can always buy one online for a couple of quid!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!