PDA

View Full Version : Jailbreaking - Worth it?

Mint
23-07-2009, 10:40 PM
I jailbroke my iPhone 3G a while ago, not long after I restored it. Everyone is saying how good jailbreaking is, I don't remember it being that good. All I can remember is experimenting with a few different themes, very slow performance, a few modifications that I downloaded from Cydia, some games from cydia and thats about it. I was glad to see the back of it when I restored tbh. But perhaps now you can do more things with a jailbroken iPhone, I don't know. So do you think it's worth it? And if you do think it's worth it, what would you say to someone to persuade them to jailbreak their iPhone? If you don't think it's worth it, how would you convince someone that it isn't worth it?

mat64
23-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Well to be honest I think my iPhone performs fine after been jailbroken, I like my custom theme, my free apps and the general freedom. If you can't see yourself much point in jailbreaking then it's probably not worth it for you, best thing about jailbreaking for me is ultrasn0w (unlocking). Plus I guess with a 3G you can get Cycorder aswell so you can record video.

Here's my springboard, see if that's a convincer for you.
http://nachoduck.com/storage/3gstheme.jpg

Mint
23-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Well to be honest I think my iPhone performs fine after been jailbroken, I like my custom theme, my free apps and the general freedom. If you can't see yourself much point in jailbreaking then it's probably not worth it for you, best thing about jailbreaking for me is ultrasn0w (unlocking). Plus I guess with a 3G you can get Cycorder aswell so you can record video.

Here's my springboard, see if that's a convincer for you.
http://nachoduck.com/storage/3gstheme.jpg

Damn thats a nice one, I bet it would all change if you slided your finger to the left though? Thats one of the things that annoyed me, I could make the first slide look good but most of my other apps would still have the same old logo. And your right about the cycorder, that was one of the things that made it worth it.

StefanWolves
23-07-2009, 11:11 PM
the iphone is nothin without the jailbreak, if you don't want your os to be slow, then don't use themes, but if you want awesome sexy themes, and can tolerate a slight laginess, then use themes, if not don't use them, but theres much more to jailbreaking than unlocked/themeing.

Mint
23-07-2009, 11:13 PM
the iphone is nothin without the jailbreak, if you don't want your os to be slow, then don't use themes, but if you want awesome sexy themes, and can tolerate a slight laginess, then use themes, if not don't use them, but theres much more to jailbreaking than unlocked/themeing.

This is an ideal thread for you to list some of these things you speak of. :)

StefanWolves
23-07-2009, 11:17 PM
well i have like 20 tweaks installed that make my iphone experience a bunch better, all the stuff sbsettings brings, internet tethering, mywi, pdanet, paid appstore apps for free, fontswap, yxflash/yxcorder(better video recorder IMO) ibluetooth(bluetooth file transfer) intelliscreen, slingplayer(for free) iFile, which is practically an in built SSH tool, so no need for WinSCP, clearcam, 3G unrestrictor (tricks apps/into to use skype/slingplayer over 3g) good soundboards for prank calls, such as michael jackson/bruno soundboards - and that's not really scratched the surface, i cant be arsed goin into cydia and posting some of the tweaks and add ons that make my iphone experience better, i don't use themes, so i dont experience any lag at all.

wow, that post was messy, so if its hard to read, just a little bit late that's all and i cant be bothered to write neatly. xD

Mint
23-07-2009, 11:25 PM
well i have like 20 tweaks installed that make my iphone experience a bunch better, all the stuff sbsettings brings, internet tethering, mywi, pdanet, paid appstore apps for free, fontswap, yxflash/yxcorder(better video recorder IMO) ibluetooth(bluetooth file transfer) intelliscreen, slingplayer(for free) iFile, which is practically an in built SSH tool, so no need for WinSCP, clearcam, 3G unrestrictor (tricks apps/into to use skype/slingplayer over 3g) good soundboards for prank calls, such as michael jackson/bruno soundboards - and that's not really scratched the surface, i cant be arsed goin into cydia and posting some of the tweaks and add ons that make my iphone experience better, i don't use themes, so i dont experience any lag at all.

wow, that post was messy, so if its hard to read, just a little bit late that's all and i cant be bothered to write neatly. xD

Omg I want them! How do I get free iphone apps, bluetooth file transferring and them soundboards?! Also the intelliscreen and some of the other things you said sound good but I don't know what they are.

StefanWolves
23-07-2009, 11:28 PM
Free iPhone apps - Installous (appulo.us - down atm as they're upgrading, but it's available in cydia via adding the source cydia.appulo.us)
iBluetooth/soundboards - are available from the preloaded sources in cydia. (YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR IBLUETOOTH AND INTELLISCREEN AND SOME OTHER STUFF IN CYDIA, BUT THE HACKED/FREE VERSIONS OF THESE ARE AVAILABLE OFF THE XSELLIZE.COM SOURCE, GO TO THEIR WEBSITE AND SEE THE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO ADD THEIR SOURCE.)

Intelliscreen is like a sexier lockscreen where it shows you like the latest news and stuff in bubbles, sporting news, new emails, ect.

You really have to search through the apps in cydia and install useful ones to actually know how helpful and awesome jailbreaking is, i just don't advise big bulky themes. :P

ElliottThompson
23-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Yeah I was gunna say, the reason I jailbroke my iPhone was because of getting the paid Appstore app's for free.
That's the main reason most people do isn't it? :D
I just wanted super monkey ball lol :D

StefanWolves
23-07-2009, 11:41 PM
yeah, but most people don't realize the depth of stuff that you can get from jailbreaking, you have to see it to believe it.

mat64
24-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Damn thats a nice one, I bet it would all change if you slided your finger to the left though?
Nope, most of the icons on Buuf are already done but any you want to add you can just SSH into your phone and add them to the theme, I've had to do that for Bloons, HarborMaster, Worms, Blackjack 21 and Cooking Mama.

http://nachoduck.com/storage/3gsspring3.PNG

and in regards to getting free apps, here's a quote for a earlier thread I posted in.

Go to Cydia, add the source cydia.hackulo.us, accept the source when it asks you if you want to add it (the warning about it distributing copyrighted apps) go to search and look for AppSync and install it. You might need to reboot, I can't remember if it ask you to then do so.

You can now sync cracked apps, search them at appulo.us (http://www.appulo.us/) for the app you want. If you want to add them straight from the site to your iPhone then also search for and add Installous, if you add apps through Installous they won't show up in iTunes however so I just download them and add them through iTunes. Once you download the .ipa simply double click it and it will be added to iTunes, then sync.

Mint
24-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Oh, I never knew you could add them. I'm not too sure about the worms icon though. :p

mat64
24-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Yeh it was the only Worms like icon I could find :p

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!