PDA

View Full Version : Mac's: Why don't they get viruses?

Clowgon
26-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Wanting to ask these question for a long time, I've been looking around and everyone seems to be giving all sorts of answers..

One which have been popping up all the time is

- "macs don't get viruses because Windows is the most used operating system in businesses/homes and so on...that's why hackers/virus programmers don't usually waste their time programming viruses for macs"

The Windows is the most used OS in Businesses/homes is obvs true but i'm sure Hackers know the kind of market of ppl who buy Mac's and i'm sure they would attempt compromise their privacy even on a Mac...

Millions and millions and millions of ppl own a Mac, so why wouldn't hackers/virus programmers spend time programming viruses for macs?

Linux OS is a less popular operating system then a Mac? I'm guessing? A linux system can quite easily pick up nasty bugs even with the best protection.

Recursion
26-07-2009, 05:34 PM
There are viruses out there for Macs, for e.g. the pirated iWork '09 trojan, but they aren't as widespread because of the fact that the Windows OS is more widely used, face the fact fan boys and girls, unfortunately the old "HURF DURF OS X IS BUILT ON UNIX SO CAN'T GET VIRUSES" that the Mac fan boys use is somewhat bullcrap.

Linux isn't as unpopular as you think it may be, most websites you visit will be running some kind of Linux OS, for e.g. FaceBook, Habbox Forum, The BBC etc, but Linux is extremely secure and tbh, I have never heard of a Linux virus but that may be just because it's not as widely talked about as a desktop OS.

Jordy
26-07-2009, 05:52 PM
It's mostly cause Windows is used predominantly by businesses, Mac's have hardly any marketshare in the business world. That's where all the money is in businesses so traditionally virus's were aimed at them, they were also the only people using computers back in the early days.

Windows virus's are so easy to make as there's so many and they've been around so long so learning them doesn't take too long. Mac has never had many virus's because people rather attack Windows which is much easier and you're more likely to hit a "jackpot" attacking Windows.

Technologic
26-07-2009, 05:55 PM
There's nothing worth stealing on a mac anyway.... unless you like bad art

Blob
26-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Mac's dont get viruses because they aren't used as much as windows as legally you cannot run mac on anything other than apple hardware, as apple are generally ******ed.

Recursion
26-07-2009, 06:32 PM
There's nothing worth stealing on a mac anyway.... unless you like bad art
Love it. LOL.

Mentor
26-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Simple answer they do. Mac virus's are just less common as since most virus/worm/malware makers are thinking of profit, if their gonna spend a month writing a virus their going to target the big audience, not some tiny 4% market share one. :)
When people want to hack a mac though, they generally go down alot quicker than windows, think of which o/s is first to fall on all then pwn2own type competitions. Generally its osx.

The Professor
27-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Because no bugger writes any for them. They should tbh, it might shut the smug gits who say they never do up!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!