PDA

View Full Version : Question about that Who.Is domain thing

Black_Apalachi
27-07-2009, 03:53 AM
I only found out about this thing the other day when I found my name, address and phone number under one of the results of a Google search. It's associated with a domain I bought last year but ended up not doing anything with.

Anyway I was a bit horrified tbh that my personal details were so readily available like this, I had no idea it was a condition of buying a domain so I immediately logged-in to the site my domain was from and changed all the details.

My question is, are there any rules regarding the details you use (i.e. will domain suppliers get moody if you use false ones), and also is there nothing wrong with the fact that they're just thrown onto the internet? :S

Thanks.

Edit: I notice that when I look up Habbox.com or ClubHabbo.net, the section where all my details were, simply says "there was an error processing your request"...

Susie Dent
27-07-2009, 04:39 AM
Hi chick, you may be able to contact your registrar and request private registrations.x

Black_Apalachi
27-07-2009, 05:44 AM
Ok thanks :).

Suspective
27-07-2009, 06:09 AM
People don't use them, its something legal as well. In case you put something on the site, which is illegal. You can usually buy your details off, so only Who.Is and your Host know them. But its not worth the hassle really. No one uses the details.

Black_Apalachi
27-07-2009, 06:24 AM
People don't use them, its something legal as well. In case you put something on the site, which is illegal. You can usually buy your details off, so only Who.Is and your Host know them. But its not worth the hassle really. No one uses the details.

What do you mean though? If they're on Google, anyone in the world can get them.

Besides, I'm more thinking about if I open a fansite, I'd rather that my Habbo identity and real identity weren't associated tbh.

Recursion
27-07-2009, 07:10 AM
If you use Namecheap.com they give you a service called Whois Guard, which gives you a fake e-mail address, name etc on your domains, people can still contact you because they all forward to you, but they can't readily get at the real details.

For example if you WHOIS intweet.net (A domain of mine, they are all hidden).

And yes, the details should be kept up to date etc. because it is a legal thing.

Black_Apalachi
27-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Ok thanks :).

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!