PDA

View Full Version : Should human euthanasia be legalised in the UK?

Kardan
29-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Human euthanasia is where people end their lifes in a painless manner under their own wishes. It is currently illegal in the UK and many people go aborad as it is not illegal in some countries. One group you may have heard of is Dignitas, a group in Switzerland that deals with this.

Do you think it should be legalised? What are your views on it?

GommeInc
29-07-2009, 06:29 PM
It's kinda hard what to think, it should only be done in exceptional cases where the person IS going to die soon AND painfully - not just let people kick their own bucket willy nilly. I don't really have a problem with it, but I'm guessing one reason the UK doesn't want to do it is because they don't want it on their own heads as sort of killing someone (not quite murder) and no-one really wants to do it.

Catzsy
29-07-2009, 06:30 PM
My view is that if the person is of sound mind and has a terminal illness
then they should be able to do so. The old phrase 'they should horses don't they' comes to mind. I actually feel that animals are better treated in some ways and they are put out of their suffering. The person should do it themselves if capable but if they have some disability that prevents them from physically being able to do so then they should be able to get some sort of court order nominating somebody that would be willing so that they would not be prosecuted for it.

That's the only time as I see it would be acceptable or there could be terrrible abuse of the system.

GommeInc
29-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Indeed, I agree :)

The actual practice is fine, why let a love one suffer or let yourself suffer? If the person has a sound state of mind and really won't be doing anything because of the pain or disability, then it should be their choice to relieve themselves (and their family, as some see it). Bringing in courts might be a good idea, so that only the special cases go through and the system won't be easily abused, and anyone assisting it can be let to go peacefully (which is the current problem at the moment? Where anyone helping gets in trouble).

RandomManJay
29-07-2009, 06:56 PM
I have always agreed with the practice of euthanasia and the right to suicide and as Catzsy and GommeInc have said, as long as the person is capable of stable thought and comprehension they should have the right to have their life terminated through assistance due to their inability at the time or later on in the future. I also think that in certain circumstances that the family does deserve the right to appeal to termination of a life if the individual has progressed to the point at which maintaining their life it causing further harm and trauma for both the individual and the family, this could also be done under the individual's own wishes before their condition has negatively progresses. Although it is in the best interests of medical practitioners and even the general public to strive and maintain life for as long as possible, I strongly hold that it is the individual's right to terminate their own life with or without assistance and that right should be upheld at all times.

Wahey
29-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Hell yeah, people should be able to decide they want to live or not, especially if they have an un-curable illness and nothing to live for.

-:Undertaker:-
29-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Indeed it should be legalised, it is not up to a government to tell people how to live their lives - especially when they are potentially in severe pain and living a sub-standard life.

AlexOC
29-07-2009, 09:30 PM
It's pathetic that the goverment can control your life, if you want to end your life, you own it, its your decision.

Caution
29-07-2009, 09:34 PM
It's pathetic that the goverment can control your life, if you want to end your life, you own it, its your decision.
if people want to, they should be allowed. people shouldn't have to live a poor sort of life if they don't want to/are ill.

Kevin
29-07-2009, 09:49 PM
y not go for it buddy

Edited by Catzsy [Forum Super Moderator]: Please do not make pointless posts in what is a serious debate. Thanks.

brandon
29-07-2009, 10:43 PM
I think that euthanasia is loving. No one should suffer, I believe we should all be in control of our own lives and it should therefore be legalised.

Sammeth.
30-07-2009, 12:09 AM
I agree with the stance that you should be able to, if you're mentally stable to make such a decision, choose to end your life. Its a peaceful and painless enough experience so it's not exactly inhumane. I don't understand why its not already legal to be fair, I've never really heard strong rallying for it to be illegal.

Catzsy
30-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Well there was a landmark ruling today from the House of Lords
- they have supported Debbie Purdey's right to die with her husband assisting her without prosecution. It is not law but a huge leap forward in this debate.

Details:
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article6733559.ece

N!ck
31-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Yes, it should be allowed but circumstances should be checked first.

For instance a person could purposefully get in to a load of debt and make a big mess just to then lose it all with a quick injection.

If a person's reasons are sound then it should be allowed.

RandomManJay
31-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Yes, it should be allowed but circumstances should be checked first.

For instance a person could purposefully get in to a load of debt and make a big mess just to then lose it all with a quick injection.

If a person's reasons are sound then it should be allowed.

That would be suicide considering they are still capable to killing themself. If they we're unable to kill themself either through fatal illness or severe injury, then it could be defined as euthanasia, but even then if they used that reason it wouldn't go through considering it isn't relieving pain, just removing debt which would most likely be written off after their death.

Fehm
31-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Its a question where the sanctity of life overcomes the quality of life?

Life's a precious thing... but why have it if it doesnt have a good quality?

It should be legalised. You should have the right to die

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hereford/worcs/7721231.stm

Dan2nd
31-07-2009, 03:57 PM
I think if someone is terminally ill then they should be able to choose the way they die... however every aspect of the rules will need to be looked into because it could be abused in so many ways

J0SH
31-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Should be legalized, after all it's human rights - someone should be able to decide if they wanna live a painful life or finish the suffering.

N!ck
31-07-2009, 04:31 PM
That would be suicide considering they are still capable to killing themself. If they we're unable to kill themself either through fatal illness or severe injury, then it could be defined as euthanasia, but even then if they used that reason it wouldn't go through considering it isn't relieving pain, just removing debt which would most likely be written off after their death.

Yeah, and suicide is legal :rolleyes:.

RandomManJay
31-07-2009, 05:32 PM

But euthanasia isn't :P.

Wahey
01-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Well there was a landmark ruling today from the House of Lords
- they have supported Debbie Purdey's right to die with her husband assisting her without prosecution. It is not law but a huge leap forward in this debate.

Details:
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article6733559.ece

I'm actually glad about something for once, we had massive debates about this in RME

Access
01-08-2009, 08:33 PM
yeah without a doubt, it's your choice if you want to die or not and if you're not capable to commit suicide but don't want to live any longer then you should be allowed to ask for assistance

Japan
02-08-2009, 01:06 PM
I think it should be allowed but there should be strict regulations put into place.
Otherwise some people might use it as an excuse for murder.

jackass
02-08-2009, 02:59 PM
I think under some circumstances, yes, it should be legalised. :)

luce
02-08-2009, 03:31 PM

I would like to see them prosecute someone who has committed suicide? The reason this is illegal is because they can prevent it because the person who assists it is done for assisted suicide which is illegal.

I think the law contradicts itself in that you can sign something which tells the doctor not to resuscitate you if your heart stops beating which is in effect passive euthanasia?

I believe that every type of euthanasia should be legalized in the UK and an organization like dignitas should be set up to carry out the process and asses wether the person should be granted it. I think the fact that they can't die in their own country is wrong.

Janet Snakehole
03-08-2009, 12:36 PM

i second that :)

MONEYMAGIC
03-08-2009, 10:20 PM
I would like to see them prosecute someone who has committed suicide? The reason this is illegal is because they can prevent it because the person who assists it is done for assisted suicide which is illegal.

I think the law contradicts itself in that you can sign something which tells the doctor not to resuscitate you if your heart stops beating which is in effect passive euthanasia?

I believe that every type of euthanasia should be legalized in the UK and an organization like dignitas should be set up to carry out the process and asses wether the person should be granted it. I think the fact that they can't die in their own country is wrong.

Yes, when we went to see grandma in Hospital it said DNR on the sheet thing.

RandomManJay
03-08-2009, 11:19 PM
I would like to see them prosecute someone who has committed suicide?

They used to prosecute people who had successfully commited suicide in the past (lol), like they would hang and quater their corpses etc. Seems quite pointless actually, but shows what people's beliefs were back then.

luce
04-08-2009, 10:16 AM
They used to prosecute people who had successfully commited suicide in the past (lol), like they would hang and quater their corpses etc. Seems quite pointless actually, but shows what people's beliefs were back then.

That's sick. Imagine how the family and friends of the people would feel :@
And hanging a dead person ermm waste of time imo?

I still stand by my views that it should be allowed after Josh and I spoke on MSN lol. I think some people are just tired of fighting and want to go, and I think Catzsy made this point that animals aren't treated pat a certain point so why should we.

Hecktix
04-08-2009, 11:24 AM
At the person who said suicide is legal - no it's not. It's illegal but as Lucy said above, how can they prosecute someone who has committed suicide?

People who attempt suicide are usually sectioned or given some sort of medical treatment (by law).

Euthanasia should be legal but only in the terms that the person is going to die anyway of a fatal illness such as cancer meaning that they could escape the painful death and only miss out on a few months.

What I disagree with is people like that Rugby player who got paralised and then went to Switzerland to die. People who are paralised can rebuild their lives.

-:Undertaker:-
04-08-2009, 03:55 PM
People who have lost ability to use their body have every right to die, their quality of life is gone, they rely on twenty four hour care - good on him, his life was ruined - he has gone from a healthy rugby player to a basic vegtable and he chose to end it on his own terms and good on him.

He experienced it all, it is not up to you or to any government to tell him his life is worth living when he knows it is not. They are sad stories but it happens, and it should always be down to the individual to take that choice.

alexxxxx
04-08-2009, 05:52 PM
i'm not totally sure because i think that the patient should have the right to terminate their life in long-terminal cases but i think it could be abused and that those who aren't that ill will be pressured by families who need their inheritance to kill themselves off early.

RandomManJay
04-08-2009, 09:21 PM
At the person who said suicide is legal - no it's not. It's illegal but as Lucy said above, how can they prosecute someone who has committed suicide?

People who attempt suicide are usually sectioned or given some sort of medical treatment (by law).

Euthanasia should be legal but only in the terms that the person is going to die anyway of a fatal illness such as cancer meaning that they could escape the painful death and only miss out on a few months.

What I disagree with is people like that Rugby player who got paralised and then went to Switzerland to die. People who are paralised can rebuild their lives.

Suicide isn't illegal, but by law people who fail to successfully commit suidice are introduced to medical programs and treatments ('sanctioned' or 'sectioned' depending on which section is used within the Mental Health Act), depending on the contexts, a person can choose whether to stay or be discharged from these treatments, then again they can also be forced into these treatments which only their doctor can allow their discharge). They have not broken the law and it is not illegal, the actions of sanction/sectioning are used for the purpose of protecting the lives of the individual and others connected to them, similar to why euthanasia is not legal, but due to the individuality of the decision and action of the failed suicidal person, it isn't illegal.

Quadriplegics and paraplegics can rebuild their lives, but in many cases, they're lives are siginifcantly altered, quadriplegics only live around 10-15 years after their injury and that life is nothing more than living in a shell that requires constant bathing and dressing and feeding, some people can live through this and in some cases recover, but some can't, it should be the person's right to end their life as their life will be significantly altered and psychologically traumatising. By this, people should have the right to kill themself regardless of their limitation and future fatality. If anyone is incapable of committing suicide by themself for their physical limitations, reserves the right to be assisted.

Nxrissa
05-08-2009, 12:42 AM
i think it should be legalised.
we were doing about it in ethics and especially if someones in pain or dieing from a disease. why make someone suffer ?

WizingWiz
05-08-2009, 12:52 AM
I'm PRO choice with everything,

however, they're are some issues with people committing forms of murder, and use this as a cover in some way...

If someone can set someone up for murder
someone could set it up to look like euthenasia,
but actually have murdered them :(

thats why I think the government don't want it..

Cause one, they will have more deaths on they're hands,
more cemetrys to build,
banks will have to pay more in life insurance,
the death to birth ratio will become closer, rather than like 10 births to every death as it would be now..

There's many reasons the government don't want it, not just cause they want to control our lives :D

But that's just my opinion ;)

Wiz

VirtualG
03-09-2009, 08:11 AM
If you believe animals should be put down when their in pain but humans cant then you are a hypocrite. Therefore, the UK government is a hypocrite :) If someone is in pain the should be able to do so. But if youre a religious person you may see this as suicide, and therefore, seeing it as the ultimate sin. But religion, to me, is a load.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!