PDA

View Full Version : [NEW] Way of Phishing people

Clowgon
01-08-2009, 07:20 PM
A new, easy, modern way of phishing.

Basically, there's a new way of phishing ppl..

If someone sends you a link, whether it'll be through Instant messenger or via email, Never click on these urls that was sent to you.

For example, someone sends me the url link of - www.habbo.com (http://www.habbo.com) if i was to click on it, it would direct me to the exact real site, but once i clicked on the site link, the person who sent it me will get my IP address, once i enter information needed to gain access to my account i.e username password.. BOOM! They have everything to gain access.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4553/desktopphishing1.png

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4874/dp1.jpg

Tried it myself to see if it works and it works perfectly. To use the new way of phishing i would have to create something with some tools that probably everyone except for linux OS users already have on their systems... i won't say name of this tool program for obvious security reasons.

To sum everything up it a very simple sentence - NEVER EVER click on a url that someone gives to you, always use your web browser url and enter the web page yourself!

Agnostic Bear
01-08-2009, 07:27 PM
The links from all IM clients go straight to the page and not through any of these places that you speak of.

Nice try but not really useful.

Clowgon
01-08-2009, 07:38 PM
LOL? I've tried it myself on MSN.. It works, works through the email system also.

Most phishing scams is sent by email and it's exactly the same as this one.

Recursion
02-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Well it obviously doesn't work over MSN because you can't use HTML in chat for example, E-Mails? Yes, IM? No.

Josh-H
02-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Well it obviously doesn't work over MSN because you can't use HTML in chat for example, E-Mails? Yes, IM? No.
Would work on AIM though, as you can set a different text for the hyperlink. Whereas msn just sends the link for you to click.

Hitman
02-08-2009, 11:27 AM
On further investigation, it should work. It has nothing to do with HTML, it changes your hosts file so that "website.com" goes to the phisher. How do they get you to download the dodgy hosts file, I hear you say. They bind it with something, much like they would with a virus/keylogger except this method has an ace up its sleeve: it wouldn't be detected as anything (may TeaTimer might notify you of a change).

There seems to be one slight error with it - when you go to certain URLs, they display the correct address.

Tomm
02-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Adding entries into the hosts file is hardly a new method. Plus for an application to add entries to the hosts file it needs to be running as an administator and in Vista and Win7 will trigger a UAC prompt. If that was not enough, most good security products prevent modification to the hosts file or prompt the user if they really want the change to be made. Also for this to work, as pointed out above, you need to run, what essentially is, a virus. I'm sure we all are aware of the countermeasures to prevent viruses and I have to say that most infections are caused by ignorant users being too trigger happy with their mouse.

Chippiewill
03-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Somebody probably just manually edited the packets to send a virus over... Any decent a/v will sort it

Jxhn
03-08-2009, 07:32 PM
This is old and if this method is used then it doesn't make a difference whether you click the link or enter the url manually.

Jarkie
03-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the warning!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!