PDA

View Full Version : Inferno Shoutbox

Shibby-Shabs
02-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Hi,
I have noticed how big the chat is and how long it takes to load and I have seen on other forums the use of Inferno Shout box and I think it would be a better Idea to install this mod. Here are some features:

AJAX Shoutbox
AJAX Shoutbox Active Users
Formatting Options Saved
Notice posted when user replies to a thread
Notice posted when user creates a new thread
Notices posted for most admin commands executed
/prune command (admin only)
/ban userid or username command (admin only)
/unban userid or username command (admin only)
/notice message (admin only) Assigns shoutbox notice
/removenotive (admin only) Removes any assgned shoutbox notice
On/off switch for the Shoutbox
Enhanced Page Deployment - Easily place the shoutbox ANYWHERE in your forum
Editor Colours/Fonts editable
Editor Position
Shoutbox frame height
Select which editor tools to display
Select which BBCodes are allowed within the shoutbox
Allow images in the shoutbox
Allow smilies in the shoutbox
Edit shoutbox notice (alternate to using command)
Edit shoutbox banned users (alternate to using command)
Idle Timeout (Seconds) - Set how many seconds before a user becomes idle in the shoutbox, this stops shoutbox updates
Select Usergroups who can use admin commands
Enter forum ID(s) which are exempt from new thread/reply shoutbox notices
Archive System (view all shouts, see shout statistics, view top shouters)
Shoutbox Lockdown Mode (Only 1 userid will be able to shout)
Shouts To Display (How many shouts you want to display)
Flood Control (Shouts cannot be posted after X seconds of shout)
Use Normal Font Size (instead of using small font)
Shout Listings Order (Show newest at top or bottom)
Smilies To Show (set how many smilies you want to show)
Maximum [SIZE] (Set the maximum size allowed for the [SIZE] tag)
Protected Usergroups (cannot be banned)
Disable Thread/Reply Notices
Thread/Reply Notice Exemptions (Enter forum IDs to be exempt)
AJAX Refresh Speed (Set how fast ajax will refresh)
Smilies Menu
Hide Shoutbox To UGs

Its a VB Mod so heres the link and a screenshot.

Link: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=147346
http://i27.tinypic.com/bfqkcj.png
Please Note: The colour was set from the forum skin

Black_Apalachi
02-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Whatever it is it can not be worse than the current one - I have never even seen it actually loaded lol!

Nice idea :).

Robbie
02-08-2009, 09:29 AM
This has been suggested so many times. We can't and wont have it due to server resources.

Shibby-Shabs
02-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Whatever it is it can not be worse than the current one - I have never even seen it actually loaded lol!

Nice idea :).

This has been suggested so many times. We can't and wont have it due to server resources.

As stated above, it doesn't work. maybe it should be removed.

Invent
02-08-2009, 11:21 AM
There used to be a shoutbox if I remember correctly? I think it was taken due to using too increasing the server's load.

Alex3213
02-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Also Habboxforum don't isntall Mods anyway I believe :)

GoldenMerc
02-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Also Habboxforum don't isntall Mods anyway I believe :)
yes they do, except they dont install every plugin due to the fact most of them arnt safe.

Remote
02-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Nope, they only install what they feel is needed, and maybe you should search this forum and read up on the 1000's of threads made about this. :)

Black_Apalachi
02-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Can anyone else actually use the chat thing? :S It's constantly just connecting for me..

Remote
02-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Can anyone else actually use the chat thing? :S It's constantly just connecting for me..
I can, but if I have connection problems it tends to mess about like you described.

Shibby-Shabs
02-08-2009, 01:36 PM
I can, but if I have connection problems it tends to mess about like you described.

Don't you think this is wasting server space?? No one goes on it..

Remote
02-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Most likely, its quite a big addon but with a shout box, wouldn't it tend to majourly lag the forums. Really, search this forum for shout box and you will get lots of threads.

Mr-Trainor
02-08-2009, 10:05 PM

I sed hi once but no one else was there :(

lick
02-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Don't you think this is wasting server space?? No one goes on it..

No because no one uses it therefore its taking up nothing, i think thats what someone said before.

Shibby-Shabs
03-08-2009, 12:05 AM
No because no one uses it therefore its taking up nothing, i think thats what someone said before.

Still has to load I guess.. :S

lick
03-08-2009, 12:22 AM
Still has to load I guess.. :S

but it dont take up as much as a shoutbox would because no-one uses it :S

and Habbox are cutting down on server loads incase you did not know

Shibby-Shabs
03-08-2009, 07:40 AM
but it dont take up as much as a shoutbox would because no-one uses it :S

and Habbox are cutting down on server loads incase you did not know

Ok, but even if nobody uses it, it takes up some of there hosting space so they would be better off deleting it.

~MODERATOR PLEASE CLOSE THREAD

efq
03-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Tbh hxf needs a chatbox at the top like Inferno. Cause it can get boring at times and chatboxs are always great.
Its the missing peice so HxF can be complete, which it isn't right now.

Shibby-Shabs
03-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Tbh hxf needs a chatbox at the top like Inferno. Cause it can get boring at times and chatboxs are always great.
Its the missing peice so HxF can be complete, which it isn't right now.
Tbh hes exactly right :eusa_danc

Jin
03-08-2009, 09:59 AM
*sigh* I may as well have an auto responder for this.

Reasons why vBulletin.org chats will not work on habboxforum.com

A lot of these chat boxes use ajax which works well on a forum with a small number of people but on a larger forum like ours it causes very high server load.
Data Transfer (bandwidth) Limits - As part of our current dedicated servers, we are allocated 4 terabytes (4096 GigaBytes) data transfer a month. Currently we are using 5.4tb which means this month it will cost us extra.
Number of users - With so many users on HxF a inline chat room will just result in spam. For those who do not remember the first couple of attempts at shoutboxes imagine a MSN conversation with 20 people actively chatting in the same conv all over one another that is basically what it results in. With the loss of VIP we can not even offer this to the smaller selection of users such as donators as this would break Sulakes Fansite T&C.

Those are the 3 main reasons why we don't bother none of these reasons are assumption they are tried and tested faults with inline chats on habboxforum.com. Due to the lack of chat we introduced the spam forum instead, as essentially the chatboxes are just glorified spam forums (at least thats what it is on our forums).

Shibby-Shabs
03-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Ok so why even have the chat there if it doesn't work and nobody uses it, even though it doesn't use much bandwidth ?

Jin
03-08-2009, 11:41 AM
because it isn't hosted on our servers so not our bandwidth and various other managerial reasons that we have yet to decide which were all things decided by our previous GM but were never completed before he resigned.

So we have yet to make a decision on it.

Coding
03-08-2009, 05:26 PM
chatboxes are so tacky anyway

Chippiewill
03-08-2009, 07:31 PM
http://www.mibbit.com/

Keep your bandwidth :), it saves so much loading

Shibby-Shabs
04-08-2009, 08:06 AM
http://www.mibbit.com/

Keep your bandwidth :), it saves so much loading

;O yeah maybe if you want to have the ugliest forum.

Markeh
04-08-2009, 09:03 AM
I don't see the point in having a chat unless people use it. If it were a true shoutbox at the top of the page, most people would probably use it a bit more.

Jin
04-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I don't see the point in having a chat unless people use it. If it were a true shoutbox at the top of the page, most people would probably use it a bit more.

Too many people would use it. Its been tried and tested so many times and has failed everytime.

Markeh
04-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Too many people would use it. Its been tried and tested so many times and has failed everytime.

Whats better? Too many people using it? or Nobody using it?

Shibby-Shabs
04-08-2009, 12:17 PM

Agreed, whats the point in having a chat box if it goes to no use.

Jin
04-08-2009, 12:22 PM

No the issue is that too many people use it all at the same time that it completely defeats the purpose of a shoutbox.

Imagine 20 conversations occurring simultaneously, you can't keep up with the conversation at hand. Then we have the additional issue of the server load because of the popularity of the shoutbox.

New users always suggest the shoutbox idea time and time and time again but do not seem to comprehend that HabboxForum.com is too large and active to allow a shoutbox to be used. I HAVE TRIED IMPLEMENTING ONE SO MANY TIMES OVER THE LAST 5 YEARS!

The only comprehensible way I can imagine it to be used would be if we only allowed Platinum members to use it or something that could really minimise the number of potential users.

Shibby-Shabs
04-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Inferno includes a private chat option :l

Coding
04-08-2009, 12:49 PM
just face it, it's not happening
chat/shoutboxes are lame. they are so crap with forums now, maybe in 2006 when fansites were tacky but not now and besides you probably don't even know anyone on here to have a chat with and everyone else has each other on msn and spam is used by a lot of people

Markeh
04-08-2009, 01:25 PM
No the issue is that too many people use it all at the same time that it completely defeats the purpose of a shoutbox.

Imagine 20 conversations occurring simultaneously, you can't keep up with the conversation at hand. Then we have the additional issue of the server load because of the popularity of the shoutbox.

New users always suggest the shoutbox idea time and time and time again but do not seem to comprehend that HabboxForum.com is too large and active to allow a shoutbox to be used. I HAVE TRIED IMPLEMENTING ONE SO MANY TIMES OVER THE LAST 5 YEARS!

The only comprehensible way I can imagine it to be used would be if we only allowed Platinum members to use it or something that could really minimise the number of potential users.

Jin, if we only let Platinum users use it, we'd be back to square 1 in the same situation.

If you've tried implementing one and it failed, why do we have that "chat" at the bottom? Nobody uses it. I once remember posting a message on it. 3 WEEKS LATER, it was still there, nobody had posted anything after it.

Something like an IRC chat would function better. Have different sections for different discussions. This, if nothing else, would be a more functional system.

Rant Over.

Black_Apalachi
04-08-2009, 04:00 PM

Epic idea :O. I reckon you'd have to let VIPs as well (there isn't that many any more anyway because of Donator now is there? :)). And keep it at the bottom where it is.

Jin
04-08-2009, 04:47 PM

Then why not use private message. That essentially what your doing with a private chat. Are you even thinking any of this through or are you a sales rep for inferno chat? :rolleyes:

Jin, if we only let Platinum users use it, we'd be back to square 1 in the same situation.

If you've tried implementing one and it failed, why do we have that "chat" at the bottom? Nobody uses it. I once remember posting a message on it. 3 WEEKS LATER, it was still there, nobody had posted anything after it.

Not sure how we are back at square 1. Care to elaborate.

Because that software is all paid for, regardless of whether we use it or not we still own it. Nobody really likes using it as it is so disconnected from the rest of the forum, it is essentially a chat room integrated with the forum in a mediocre way. Not to mention it doesn't handle usernames with any special characters in.

This was ---Mad---'s doing in order to overcome our original issues with server load, data transfer etc it has evidently failed in other ways.

Epic idea :O. I reckon you'd have to let VIPs as well (there isn't that many any more anyway because of Donator now is there? :)). And keep it at the bottom where it is.

The other issue we have is moderation. It isn't easy on a chat system.

Black_Apalachi
04-08-2009, 09:49 PM

Oh, wouldn't mods be able to just temporarily mute a user and send a warning message then boot them from the chat for say 24 hours if they have to?

Jin
04-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Oh, wouldn't mods be able to just temporarily mute a user and send a warning message then boot them from the chat for say 24 hours if they have to?

The actual punishments isn't the issue, its to actively moderate the chat which is hard.

Black_Apalachi
04-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Oh I see. Well roughly how many platinum members do you think there are atm? If two of the most active mods were assigned the sole task of moderating the chat (as well as maybe another small forum for when the chat isn't busy), wouldn't that cover it? Or is that not the point lol? :P

Jin
04-08-2009, 10:26 PM
*cough* 5

Obviously it would have to be more than 5 users to justify it we would also have forum staff and general management able to use it.

It seems like a waste of moderators time. They could be moderating the forum rather than being chat moderators.

Black_Apalachi
04-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Oh right, how many VIPs are there generally at any one time these days? Surely it would be easy to moderate if there's hardly anyone using it? But still it, it doesn't really justify having at all with so few using it, as you say.

Jin
04-08-2009, 10:31 PM
I was looking earlier on, we have about 100 VIPS

Black_Apalachi
04-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Hmm, it's probably just enough to make it worth while, but a bit too many to control it :P. (Btw that's VIPs not Donators right?)

Chippiewill
05-08-2009, 06:59 PM
If you have a completely separate chat then just say that it is not moderated and that you use it at your own risk.

today
05-08-2009, 07:41 PM
make it vip plus only fnx

rock on 4 vip+ users!! :D

Catzsy
05-08-2009, 09:17 PM
There has been many threads about this over the years. It took up too much server space and has failed I think would be very annoying for most of the members. The other problem if I remember is that it could be a security problem as it it a hack - correct me if I am wrong.

It doesn't take a minute to post a message on here. If you want 'instant'
have a mass convo on msn messenger - thats the way I see it. I don't support the idea it would detract from the main purpose of the forum and as Jin said would be extremely hard to moderate and take up quite a bit of time to do. I really cannot think of any advantages except that it is 'instant' and lots of disadvantages. Both the chat and blog system didn't take off because Habbox has its own unique successful formula which is why its is the number one forum and adding the present 'fad' or gimmick just doesn't work. Thats my opinion anyway. :)

Black_Apalachi
05-08-2009, 10:30 PM
I think what Catzsy's saying makes the most sense.

make it vip plus only fnx

rock on 4 vip+ users!! :D

How do you even get VIP+?

Robbie
05-08-2009, 10:38 PM
You used to be able to buy it before it got removed

Coding
05-08-2009, 10:53 PM
I think what Catzsy's saying makes the most sense.

Everyone else has said the same thing..

Chippiewill
05-08-2009, 11:07 PM
I'd be ok with it if it actually at some point connected... For me, the chat is broken

Black_Apalachi
05-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Everyone else has said the same thing..

The other problem if I remember is that it could be a security problem as it it a hack - correct me if I am wrong.

[...]

It doesn't take a minute to post a message on here. If you want 'instant'
have a mass convo on msn messenger - thats the way I see it.

[...]

I really cannot think of any advantages except that it is 'instant' and lots of disadvantages. Both the chat and blog system didn't take off because Habbox has its own unique successful formula which is why its is the number one forum and adding the present 'fad' or gimmick just doesn't work. Thats my opinion anyway. :)

Or not, Coding. This is the second thread you've started "bullying" me in (for want of a batter phrase). I think it might be against the rules for me to threaten with -rep but the next instance will result in all relevant posts being reported :).

Markeh
06-08-2009, 07:55 AM
Then why not use private message. That essentially what your doing with a private chat. Are you even thinking any of this through or are you a sales rep for inferno chat? :rolleyes:

Because that software is all paid for, regardless of whether we use it or not we still own it. Nobody really likes using it as it is so disconnected from the rest of the forum, it is essentially a chat room integrated with the forum in a mediocre way. Not to mention it doesn't handle usernames with any special characters in.

This was ---Mad---'s doing in order to overcome our original issues with server load, data transfer etc it has evidently failed in other ways.

We're back at square 1 because if only Platinum members are allowed to use it, then its still going to be barely used. However, if you added VIP and VIP+ into it, and could give away access to the chatroom in competitions, perhaps, then it MIGHT work.

Shibby-Shabs
06-08-2009, 08:50 AM

No sir :)
If i was a sales rep (guessing that means they try to sell stuff) I wouldn't be posting in other forums, I just did it because I thought it would be a good idea but since its not going to suit the system then why post anymore, thread should of been closed a while ago..

Mentor
06-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Why not just remove the broken chat thats there at the moment, add a flash irc client then just create a room on slashnet or freenode or somthing.
Op a few staff and you have a chatroom thats easly moderatable, supports 100's or people at once and doesnt use any habbox bandwidth aside from loading a flash based client :)

(plus we can use are own clients to access just that when wanted) - seems win win to me :p

Shibby-Shabs
06-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Why not just remove the broken chat thats there at the moment, add a flash irc client then just create a room on slashnet or freenode or somthing.
Op a few staff and you have a chatroom thats easly moderatable, supports 100's or people at once and doesnt use any habbox bandwidth aside from loading a flash based client :)

(plus we can use are own clients to access just that when wanted) - seems win win to me :p

Sounds better then a broken chat :D

Black_Apalachi
06-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Face it lol, it's not happening.

Markeh
06-08-2009, 10:55 AM

This is what I think we should to, tbh.

Chippiewill
06-08-2009, 10:57 AM

That's why I suggested Mibbit ages ago :rolleyes:, however Jin has decided that no one will bother loading a broken chat room so it may as well be left as is to save bandwidth on the flash loader...

lick
06-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Or not, Coding. This is the second thread you've started "bullying" me in (for want of a batter phrase). I think it might be against the rules for me to threaten with -rep but the next instance will result in all relevant posts being reported :).

omg he was not bullying you in this thread, its called an opinion and everyone has one.. not just you

Edited by Catzsy [Forum Super Moderator]: Please do not spam this thread. Thanks

Black_Apalachi
06-08-2009, 03:11 PM
omg he was not bullying you in this thread, its called an opinion and everyone has one.. not just you

"Everyone else has said that" isn't an opinion. In the given context, it wasn't even a valid comment.

To be fair, a chat feature has one advantage; users will be able to chat to each other quickly and easily. On the other hand it has countless disadvantages; security risks, extra work for admins and moderators, probable risk of people abuisng it (I imagine much more than actual constructive conversations), and relatively few using it rendering it pointless anyway.

So there is literally no point. I do agree that the existing thing be gotten rid of because quite frankly, it's just a piss take :P.

lick
06-08-2009, 03:17 PM
well it was paid for so i doubt it will b removed

Mentor
06-08-2009, 05:54 PM
"Everyone else has said that" isn't an opinion. In the given context, it wasn't even a valid comment.

To be fair, a chat feature has one advantage; users will be able to chat to each other quickly and easily. On the other hand it has countless disadvantages; security risks, extra work for admins and moderators, probable risk of people abuisng it (I imagine much more than actual constructive conversations), and relatively few using it rendering it pointless anyway.

So there is literally no point. I do agree that the existing thing be gotten rid of because quite frankly, it's just a piss take :P.
Again, all issues that would not exist within the irc option :)

Invent
06-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Again, all issues that would not exist within the irc option :)

Maybe admins want to know which users are saying what to prevent bullying, etc?

Mentor
06-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Maybe admins want to know which users are saying what to prevent bullying, etc?
Just mod it as a separate entity, someone on irc doesn't behave, they get kicked from irc. Maybe add a profile option where people can list there registered nick on a server if people are worried about identy issues. Other than that a simple disclaimer that people may not being useing the same name they do on the forum is all thats really needed o.o

Chippiewill
06-08-2009, 07:15 PM
I agree with Mentor fully
ps use Mibbit as the IRC client!

Also you could use an IRC bot for filtering, auto ban for repetitive rule breaking e.t.c.

Shibby-Shabs
07-08-2009, 07:57 AM
Inferno was just the idea, but since it won't work, we have one that will.

Mentor
07-08-2009, 08:10 AM
I agree with Mentor fully
ps use Mibbit as the IRC client!

Also you could use an IRC bot for filtering, auto ban for repetitive rule breaking e.t.c.
Running a bot would be an idea, though does mean habbox have to host it somewhere which is a little extra overhead.

Would make catching badwords etc alot easier though :)

Shibby-Shabs
07-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Depending on commands ect. is weather it would keep admins busy..

Moderators should be able to do:
~ Ban
~ Prune

And lots of people would like to work on the forum so you could hire shoutbox moderators
:)

Black_Apalachi
07-08-2009, 08:52 AM
the current chat suddenly works for me now :/

Chippiewill
07-08-2009, 09:40 AM
jin probably fixed it to shut everyone up

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!