PDA

View Full Version : ok database help

HD-Christopher
03-08-2009, 03:27 AM
Ok I have a forum on a different server. Its not mine. But we are going to transfer to mine on a different host. I wanted to know how I would get that database and everything over to mine so we do not need to start all over. HELP ASAP would be really great. +REP for the help.

Jamesy
03-08-2009, 07:59 AM
You would export the database as a .sql file (compressed or not) and then you reimport it at the new host.

You then edit your config.php for vBulletin pointing it at the new database details.

Remeber to transfer your images folder if you have custom ones.

BoyBetterKnow
03-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Go to phpmyadmin, go to your table, click export, make sure sql is ticked, then click go.

Copy and paste the code that is generated, then make a new database on your new host with the same name as your old host ( to save time ). Add user and password to it.

Now on phpmyadmin for your new database, click SQL and paste the code you have exported into there.

Now you need to find your database configuration file. I think vbulletin has config.php which is in the root directory or in the includes directory.

You need to change the database name / prefixes / dbUsername / dbPassword etc.

HotelUser
04-08-2009, 11:48 PM
Sometimes, with very large forum databases, importing data through Phpmyadmin wont always work. The request could time out due to server configuration, or your browser could freeze. If this is the case then you could download a PHP script called bigdump. It takes your SQL backup file and imports it into your mysql database in sections. It's quite a useful tool, and it's very easy to use.

http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump.php

today
05-08-2009, 04:32 AM
I rec, big dump it saves alot of time (:

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!