PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake Hits Gulf Of California

efq
03-08-2009, 07:34 PM
An earthquake measuring 6.9 on the Richter scale has struck the Gulf of California off Mexico.

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2008/Jun/Week4/15011263.jpg

The US Geological Survey said the strong quake struck inside the Sea of Cortez, 76 miles from the town of Santa Isabel on the Baja California peninsula and was 6.2 miles deep.
There were no initial reports of deaths or serious damage.
The quake was felt strongly in San Diego just across the border from Mexico.
"It felt very calm, there was barely a vibration," said hotel receptionist Graciela Alvarado at a motel in the town of Caborca, in the Mexican state of Sonora, across from Baja California.
Local authorities warned there was a risk of a small, localised tsunami in the area but no official tsunami warning for the main Pacific coastline.
"There's a very high risk this could occur," said Baja California emergency services director Alfredo Escobedo.
Baja California is home to desert and mountains, and is sparsely populated.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Earthquake-Measuring-69-On-Richter-Scale-Strikes-Baja-California-Coast-In-Mexico/Article/200908115353138?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_2&lid=ARTICLE_15353138_Earthquake_Measuring_6.9_On_R ichter_Scale_Strikes_Baja_California_Coast_In_Mexi co

Nxrissa
05-08-2009, 12:06 AM
oh dear. hopefully there wont be to many deaths because of it

Jahova
05-08-2009, 06:57 AM
oh dear. hopefully there wont be to many deaths because of it
Hopefully there won't be any.

Jordy
05-08-2009, 10:19 AM
No reports of damage it seems, bare in mind everything along the West Coast is built to withstand large Earthquakes as large one's come along every few years. Some people in San Diego didn't even notice which is is quite near the epicentre, my friends in San Francisco didn't even know about it lol.

efq
05-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I was on Twitter (as usual) so I searched #earthquake and these 2 were discussing it (cause they lived smack bang in the middle of the earthquake and one goes

First person
'@therename OMG did you feel that #earthquake?'Second person
'@therename i didnt, probably because I shake my leg a lot after I drink coffee' and I laughed lol

Clowgon
05-08-2009, 10:34 AM
:O Fifteen is over there.

AlexOC
05-08-2009, 12:40 PM
:o When i read title quickly i thought you meant California, US, thought it could of been the 'Big One'

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!