PDA

View Full Version : Swine flu WHO's 2 billion estimate

efq
06-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Before I post this, no arguements, no saying 'its nothing to be worried about'. I am just posting the news from them like any other news.

GENEVA (Reuters) - The World Health Organization stuck on Tuesday to its statement that about two billion people could catch H1N1 influenza by the time the flu pandemic ends.
But the estimate comes with a big health warning: no one knows how many people so far have caught the new strain, known as swine flu, and the final number will never be known as many cases are so mild they may go unnoticed.
"By the end of a pandemic, anywhere between 15-45 percent of a population will have been infected by the new pandemic virus," WHO spokeswoman Aphaluck Bhatiasevi said in a statement.

"Thirty percent is a midpoint estimate and 30 percent of the world's population is 2 billion."

But she added: "We must remember however, that attempts to estimate infection rates can only be very rough."
Early in the outbreak, which was first detected in April, Dr Keiji ***uda, acting Assistant Director-General of the U.N. agency, fueled accusations the WHO was creating panic about the disease when he used the two billion figure.
But the WHO, which raised its global flu alert to the highest level on June 11, declaring a worldwide pandemic, has since said the strain is already spreading much faster than previous flu pandemics.
At the same time, because most victims suffer only mild symptoms, it has told countries they no longer need to try to report each case, but concentrate on monitoring suspicious concentrations of the disease and tracking deaths.

AUTUMN RISK
Bhatiasevi earlier told a briefing the WHO was coordinating a network of independent institutions trying to project the total number of cases. Because no one currently has such an estimate, it is not possible to state the H1N1 mortality rate.
The WHO's latest update on July 27 said a total of 816 people had died from H1N1, while the total number of laboratory-confirmed cases, including deaths, was 134,503 -- a figure well below the likely real total of infections which may already be in the millions, according to health experts.
As the northern hemisphere autumn approaches, and with it the onset of seasonal flu, the WHO is working with drug companies to ensure vaccines to cope both with H1N1 and seasonal flu will be available.

WHO spokeswoman Fadela Chaib said the agency hoped to give an update on its vaccine plans later this week. Leading flu vaccine makers include Sanofi-Aventis, Novartis, Baxter, GlaxoSmithKline and Solvay.
H1N1 rapidly became the most commonly isolated virus in flu cases in South America and Australia after seasonal flu started there,

Bhatiasevi said. But that may be a distorted picture, because specimens for testing were often associated with events such as school closures or screening of travelers where H1N1 was suspected anyway. School closures decisions have yet to be made by WHO's H1N1 project director until the the final days of the school holidays and stresses that no-one is to make plans, the final decision of school closure is based on WHO's saying and not the Governments after many enquiries occured when the UK Government declared there would be no school closures but was then told their rights in that area do not stand in a world wide pandemic situation and agreed to allow the WHO to make final decisions. Screenings are already being put in place in many airports and will continue to do so.
In South Africa, where H1N1 arrived later, many cases of the seasonal flu virus H3N2 were reported, but as the flu season wanes and H3N2 cases decrease, H1N1 has begun to make up a much higher proportion of flu cases there.

Arron
06-08-2009, 11:16 AM
It was in our local newspaper today headlining that our town is the second worst place for Swine Flu. 1 in 3 people who live here will get it in the next 6-9 months (60,000 are expected to get it).

GommeInc
06-08-2009, 02:08 PM
"Catch" or "have caught"? Because I'm sceptical they take away numbers of people that have caught it from the people who still have it :/

lick
06-08-2009, 04:01 PM
your in love with this swine flu... and i dont care if i get it tbh.. its goes away

Catchy
06-08-2009, 04:04 PM
i don't think any1 really cares if they get it now lol, I know people who've had it and they're fine.

efq
06-08-2009, 04:05 PM
I've had it, my sister has had it and a friend has had it. We all recovered and we didn't take the tamiflu because we didn't think we needed it and recovered like any other flu.

LuketheDuke
06-08-2009, 04:12 PM
wasnt it on the news that the rate of people getting it is slowing?

I hear things like that and then other stuff comes out telling me to panic, confusing!

GommeInc
06-08-2009, 04:27 PM
wasnt it on the news that the rate of people getting it is slowing?

I hear things like that and then other stuff comes out telling me to panic, confusing!
Burn newspapers and turn off the TV when the news comes on, you'd thank yourself not to be dragged in with the hype :P So far experts have lied or badly calculated it, so ignoring most things other than the fact the huge majority who have caught it have recovered. Tamiflu is aload of botox injections anyway.

Jord
06-08-2009, 05:46 PM
I feel like I got swine flu :(

Pazza
07-08-2009, 09:43 PM
So ?

They're saying that by the time that it ends 2 billion will have had it. Not like 2 billion people are going to die :/

efq
07-08-2009, 09:46 PM
So ?

They're saying that by the time that it ends 2 billion will have had it. Not like 2 billion people are going to die :/
Of course not, just think how much the recession is going to get, how much stress on the NHS and which leads to people in hospital (other than people with swine flu) feeling that wrath.

GommeInc
07-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Of course not, just think how much the recession is going to get, how much stress on the NHS and which leads to people in hospital (other than people with swine flu) feeling that wrath.
All that could be solved by not hyping it up as a killer disease :/ Besides, the NHS aren't taking a beating, mainly because the Swine Flu helplines have been taken on board relieving most, if not, all stress on the NHS. Hospitals should be avoided, if you moan and winge, and go to a hospital because of it, you probably deserve it :/

It's as bad as the winter flu, but sadly people are too stupid to figure that out and love hype. I blame OK and Hello myself.

Pazza
07-08-2009, 10:06 PM

True, I didn't think that indepth.

The recession part kinda makes sense, as sick people off work won't help.

The bit about the hospitals is quite worrying. Although I suppose it depends on the seriousness of the illness, I just wonder who will get priority.

efq
07-08-2009, 10:24 PM
All that could be solved by not hyping it up as a killer disease :/ Besides, the NHS aren't taking a beating, mainly because the Swine Flu helplines have been taken on board relieving most, if not, all stress on the NHS. Hospitals should be avoided, if you moan and winge, and go to a hospital because of it, you probably deserve it :/

It's as bad as the winter flu, but sadly people are too stupid to figure that out and love hype. I blame OK and Hello myself.
Wrong, the NHS released in a previous news press that they were under a lot of stress from the amount of people showing up in the hospital saying they have the flu or feel sick (even though you arn't supposed to, they do) and having NHS nurses/doctors going off sick.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/swine-flu/5979940/Swine-flu-skivers-cost-firms-more-than-virus-say-employers.html

People taking advantage of swine flu:

By simply phoning the NHS swine flu (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/swine-flu/) hot line or visiting its website, unscrupulous workers can get themselves a course of antiviral medicine and do not need a sick note from their GP for the first seven days’ absence.

The Government is considering doubling this period to a fortnight, which companies fear could make the situation worse and cost them millions of pounds in lost productivity at a time when they are struggling with the effects of the recession.
There are predictions that more healthy workers will be tempted to call in sick as the weather improves over the next week, after the wettest July on record.

syko2006
11-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Woah, 2 billion!

Someone should tell that guy he's not a real doctor.

efq
11-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Woah, 2 billion!

Someone should tell that guy he's not a real doctor.
It's not hard for 2 billion to catch it...

syko2006
11-08-2009, 02:37 PM
I know it's not, but that's ALOT of people to catch a new strain of virus.

That's a third of the world's population!

efq
11-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Yeah and its spreading very fast, it's not deadly but it spreads like mad.

syko2006
11-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Yeah!

Think about this: This is just Swine Flu, and the world is on a pandemic, what do you think the world would be like if AIDS became airbourne! lol :lol:

StefanWolves
11-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I've had it, my sister has had it and a friend has had it. We all recovered and we didn't take the tamiflu because we didn't think we needed it and recovered like any other flu.

I had it to, I had it mildly, fact is, if you're a teenager (15+) your immune system is so strong that with he help of off the shelf tablets (annadin!), then you can easily overcome it.

user130523
11-08-2009, 10:20 PM
my mum kissed an old friend whos daughter has swine flu :'(

well, it was nice knowing you all! :(

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!