PDA

View Full Version : Help - Laptop won't start?

Caution
10-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Hey, a few days ago I was on the internet and I got an alert from AVG saying I had a trojan, and then my computer slowed down and just turned itself off. When I turn it on now I'm given the option to launch startup repair or start windows normally, or sometimes I'm given the option to start in safe mode. If I launch startup repair (Which i've done about 5 times) it doesn't fix it. If I start in safe mode or w/ networking it doesn't give as much of my files or programs (I presume this is cos of safe mode, but I'm given some files and programs). I'm sure it's mucked up because if I try and search for anti-virus or whatever in safe mode it just redirects to ad websites and stuff. I managed to log on yday normally (no safe mode) but explorer.exe crashed and then restarted.
I've tried using the Vista installation disc to go into repair and try system restore but I don't have any restore points. :@ If I reinstalled by booting from the installation disc would it wipe my hd and just start again?
It's a Dell Studio 17, I'm typing this on my other ****** laptop if you're wondering.
Sorry, I know it's a bit long.
Any suggestions?

Feep
10-08-2009, 02:54 PM
You could make a partition on your hard drive, (split it into two) And install a new OS on that partition and boot if from that?

Caution
10-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks, if I can partition part of it I might try that.

Damian15
11-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Try an anti virus than can boot from disc, Sophos provides a bootable iso. That way you can run a virus scan before OS is loaded. I'll rapidshare a link to the bootable Sophos. No guarantee it will work but it seems like you have nothing to lose at this stage.

Just burn it to a bootable disc, boot from the disc and run the scan. Good luck.

If you don't know how to use rapidshare or burn an iso PM me and I'll explain.

http://rapidshare.com/files/266266400/Sophos_boot.rar

ailsaa
11-08-2009, 06:05 PM
booting from the installation disk would wipe your hd abd you would only have the files that your laptop came with. i have this issue ALL the time with my laptop, and its been rebooted about 15 times since last year. but some problems could also occur with this(as i've experienced)

if you don't want to loose all your files, try booting a anti-virus disk.

hope this helps

Caution
11-08-2009, 06:16 PM
I've reinstalled the OS and all my old files have been put in a separate folder thankfully. +Rep to the 2 above though. :D

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!