PDA

View Full Version : Making an Isometric Chat Client and Server?

Dottz
11-08-2009, 10:48 PM
I am very interested in making a virtual isometric chat environment (ex. Habbo Hotel, Bitty Bay). I have some funding available for this project and will love to start ASAP. I have done some research and have basic ideas however, I am looking for some additional help. If you have experience developing an isometric chat client like Habbo and want to help please P/M me. Or if you have experience in any category listed below and want to help as well.

> Flash/actionscript
> C++

> Java

> Isometric Pixel Art

> PHP

> Any other useful languages...

pepsi
11-08-2009, 11:13 PM
It'll cost loads, hope you have £xxxx

Colin-Roberts
12-08-2009, 12:24 AM
So your basically doing nothing? and wanting everyone else to develop it for you?

Dottz
12-08-2009, 12:53 AM
I will be managing the project making sure things are in check as well as the web design aspect and I can help with a bit of pixel art. However, the actual coding of the client and server will be done by someone with experience.

Colin-Roberts
12-08-2009, 02:17 AM
Budget?
Domain?
Servers?

Jahova
12-08-2009, 07:02 AM
Yeah, it won't come cheap. And don't think you can just run it from a small Windows VPS on a minimum budget. If you were serious about this, you should have a few thousand pounds saved and ready to put into this.

Pyroka
12-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Best thing you can do if you were serious (which you definetly aren't), is to learn the languages yourself. I'm part of a company who want to be like Habbo and Bittybay, in fact Bittybay originated from the same place that I work for. The thing is, independant programmers drop out all the time because they have big egos, and think that if they don't get something their way, they just leave and keep all the programming to themselves. We've fell foul to this a million times... Once very recently.

So yeah, if you're serious, learn the languages yourself. You'll go alot furhter that way. If you can also style the avatars you want and just a general sort of style of the program you want, that'll go a far way in employing pixel artists cuz they'll understand what vision you have.

Dottz
12-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Best thing you can do if you were serious (which you definetly aren't), is to learn the languages yourself. I'm part of a company who want to be like Habbo and Bittybay, in fact Bittybay originated from the same place that I work for. The thing is, independant programmers drop out all the time because they have big egos, and think that if they don't get something their way, they just leave and keep all the programming to themselves. We've fell foul to this a million times... Once very recently.

So yeah, if you're serious, learn the languages yourself. You'll go alot furhter that way. If you can also style the avatars you want and just a general sort of style of the program you want, that'll go a far way in employing pixel artists cuz they'll understand what vision you have.

Do you know of any tutorials where I can start?

MrPinkPanther
12-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Flashkit.com is great for beginners.

Amzoe
12-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Your best bet it to get to know the language and jargon of what you're using. It'll be better in the long-run.

Colin-Roberts
12-08-2009, 07:00 PM
what language for client and server? decide that before you learn something irrelevant.

Dentafrice
12-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Its better when the manager of the projects understands the language and the limitations of it.

Dottz
12-08-2009, 09:36 PM
I am thinking using Flash with Actionscript 3.0 for the client and I am unsure about the server. Any suggestions?

Colin-Roberts
12-08-2009, 09:47 PM
php? (laugh but it works) java? if you want dottz, you can add me on msn [email protected]. i'm no expert on mmocc but i should be able to answer most questions

BoyBetterKnow
13-08-2009, 08:00 AM
php? (laugh but it works) java? if you want dottz, you can add me on msn [email protected]. i'm no expert on mmocc but i should be able to answer most questions

LOL, are you laughing at PHP Colin? :P

Colin-Roberts
13-08-2009, 03:30 PM
just alittle, its not the best for servers..

BoyBetterKnow
13-08-2009, 05:00 PM
just alittle, its not the best for servers..

When you say servers, you are talking about like the game server?

What SS language do you use for Zetolic?

Dentafrice
13-08-2009, 05:23 PM
When you say servers, you are talking about like the game server?

What SS language do you use for Zetolic?
Server Side language for a game server? You don't use Server Side scripting languages (Like PHP) for game servers.. sure it works... but it's not made for that.

Java, Python, heck even C# at some points would work. Not PHP.

Colin-Roberts
13-08-2009, 05:35 PM
ssh don't tell caleb.. PHP atm..
only temporary..

BoyBetterKnow
13-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Server Side language for a game server? You don't use Server Side scripting languages (Like PHP) for game servers.. sure it works... but it's not made for that.

Java, Python, heck even C# at some points would work. Not PHP.

Well some flash games request PHP pages don't they. Like post to it or w/e.

ssh don't tell caleb.. PHP atm..
only temporary..

Colin when is Zetolic gonna be released? It's been in dev years and I've missed all BETAs.

Pyroka
13-08-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm pretty sure he sold Zetolic ages ago.

Dentafrice
13-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Well some flash games request PHP pages don't they. Like post to it or w/e.

Colin when is Zetolic gonna be released? It's been in dev years and I've missed all BETAs.
Most flash games are not multi-user "worlds" like Habbo, and this project. Some use REST. Flash games post high scores, and other data to the server.. but I'm pretty sure the end game-server is not made in PHP.

BoyBetterKnow
14-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Most flash games are not multi-user "worlds" like Habbo, and this project. Some use REST. Flash games post high scores, and other data to the server.. but I'm pretty sure the end game-server is not made in PHP.

Okay man, I'll take your word for it because I aint got a clue.

@threadstarter, Zetolic is on release atm and it's very basic but it took along time to create. Do you know what you're getting yourself into? Lol

h4x
14-08-2009, 01:12 PM
This habboon forum really isnt the best to discuss IMCE/MMOCC creation. Ill PM you with a link to another forum, if thats aloud. But anyway, dont listen to the noobs who say you need thousands of pounds just for it. I created an IMCE on a budget of £0. The only thing i paid for was the VPS and domain. It wasnt a free host, i hosted on the VPS.

MrPinkPanther
14-08-2009, 02:36 PM
dont listen to the noobs who say you need thousands of pounds just for it. I created an IMCE on a budget of £0. The only thing i paid for was the VPS and domain. It wasnt a free host, i hosted on the VPS.
No, to create a professional IMCE if you don't have the coding or graphics skills you will generally need thousands of pounds. To host a IMCE properly you will atleast need a dedi, hosting one on a VPS is just plain stupid unless you have a maximum of 5 concurrent users.

Dentafrice
14-08-2009, 03:07 PM
This habboon forum really isnt the best to discuss IMCE/MMOCC creation. Ill PM you with a link to another forum, if thats aloud. But anyway, dont listen to the noobs who say you need thousands of pounds just for it. I created an IMCE on a budget of £0. The only thing i paid for was the VPS and domain. It wasnt a free host, i hosted on the VPS.
Congratulations, yet we have never heard of it.. it's not mainstream.. it's probably never been released.

I can create a social network on the budget of $0, but will it look right? Will it get users? Does it even halfway work? Could my server support it. No.

So, you can listen to the "noobs" on HxF, who actually have a clue about development, or you can follow this "goon" who created an IMCE on a budget of $0 (that we haven't even heard of.. because it was a failure).

I mean he can't even spell allowed correctly, he doesn't know how to punctuate isn't, i'll, that's, don't, I, wasn't.

So you're going to let him give you advice on successful MMOCC creation? If so.. we don't need you here anyway.

MrPinkPanther
14-08-2009, 03:15 PM
I actually think Habbox Forum is the best place to discuss IMCE development anyway considering it's your target market. Forums like OpenSock and possibly Visionire frankly don't have any sort of concept of buisiness. Making a game exactly like Habbo isn't going to be successful, making a game atall like Habbo probably won't be successful. Habbo is dominant in the market for two reasons: It was original and it had an open market, most MMOCCs don't have either and hence fail.

Dentafrice
14-08-2009, 03:26 PM
I actually think Habbox Forum is the best place to discuss IMCE development anyway considering it's your target market. Forums like OpenSock and possibly Visionire frankly don't have any sort of concept of buisiness. Making a game exactly like Habbo isn't going to be successful, making a game atall like Habbo probably won't be successful. Habbo is dominant in the market for two reasons: It was original and it had an open market, most MMOCCs don't have either and hence fail.
Yep, when it was conceived; there was no competition at all.. there was nothing in that market to stop it from going to the top.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!