PDA

View Full Version : Confused right now. Drama or Media Studies?

vicious
12-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Well, back in February I had to take three options for year 10, like you should know. And the three options I took were BTEC Media, Food Technology and Drama. Well, I've been an anorexia sufferer for well over a year now, but a few months ago I was cut from going to school as I'm too ill. Hopefully I'm allowed to go back to school after this summer, because I'd really like to get back into the swing of things the same time as everyone else. Anyway, the problem is - I'm regretting choosing Drama. My mom spoke to the school and they know all about my illness, and said to ring up the week before school starts to let them know what my decision on my options will be. I've been thinking to changing the Drama to Media Studies. I know, I'll be doing two lots of Media, but I'm really looking forward to taking that subject. Well, I'm just so confused, I don't know whether to drop Drama or not. I didn't know anyone was taking it, but I've found out several friends of mine are, and it's making me even more confused. Do you have any suggestions as to what I should do?

Also, those of you that have taken either Drama, Food Technology and Media - fancy letting me know what they're like as GCSE subjects? I love you for reading that, haha.

Samantha.
12-08-2009, 09:30 AM
I did Drama and Short Course Food Tech.
Drama is easy but it gets boring in year 11 well it might be different at your school but at mine we did all the practical work in year 10 then the written work in year 11 and exam prep. Looking at past exam papers are boring but in the exam, I was allowed to take notes in and depending on your exam board you should be able to aswell which helps you alot. It's a good subject :) Media sounds good, I didn't do it as GCSE but i'm doing it at A Level. If I was you, i'd do double Media :D

Food Tech is alot of coursework and do not get behind on it because thats what I did and I fount it so stressful having to catch up! You cook a fait abit as part of your coursework, so if you like doing coursework and cooking then your okay!

Nicola
12-08-2009, 10:54 AM
I was actually going to take Drama but decided against it because all of the people in that class were from the opposite side of the year to me. I decided I'd take another subject & do Drama classes after school (which never actually happend).
From what I heard though It was really enjoyable and I regret not taking it.

I also took Food Tech. It is ALOT of coursework, I'd only recommend it if you know you can keep up. The coursework isn't alot of fun but I loved all the pratical lessons.

I also took Media :D I absolutely loved it and I'm carrying it on in College in September this year. There is quite a bit of work involved but if you enjoy it then it shouldn't be a problem.

I think you should do Drama as it's a bit more variety and it will give you more options in the long run. You might find taking two lots of media can get a bit much.

Soy
12-08-2009, 11:15 AM
To be honest media studies is a terrible subject (WJEC)

I'd go with drama, I took both when I was In year 10, I went for all the easy subjects

I ended up getting an A for drama and a C for media studies because I couldn't be bothered
doing all the coursework

Bun
12-08-2009, 02:57 PM
not surprised ur anorexic when u see the see the state of ur avatar lol, get a big lass in there. ;)

and yeah, i'd say drama.

vicious
12-08-2009, 03:21 PM
I did Drama and Short Course Food Tech.
Drama is easy but it gets boring in year 11 well it might be different at your school but at mine we did all the practical work in year 10 then the written work in year 11 and exam prep. Looking at past exam papers are boring but in the exam, I was allowed to take notes in and depending on your exam board you should be able to aswell which helps you alot. It's a good subject :) Media sounds good, I didn't do it as GCSE but i'm doing it at A Level. If I was you, i'd do double Media :D

Food Tech is alot of coursework and do not get behind on it because thats what I did and I fount it so stressful having to catch up! You cook a fait abit as part of your coursework, so if you like doing coursework and cooking then your okay!
For Drama, what kind of exam was it that you had? Practical or theory? The thing is, I'd be happy taking Drama, I love acting - it's just that anorexia has completely knocked my confidence and socializing skills, so it's going to make it incredibly hard - I think. I don't know though, I'm still so confused haha. Damn, I hate to hear that Food Tech has alot of coursework. Thanks for letting me know though, I think it's good preperation. What kind of practical lessons did you have? Like, could you choose what to make? etc.
+rep, by the way :)

I was actually going to take Drama but decided against it because all of the people in that class were from the opposite side of the year to me. I decided I'd take another subject & do Drama classes after school (which never actually happend).
From what I heard though It was really enjoyable and I regret not taking it.

I also took Food Tech. It is ALOT of coursework, I'd only recommend it if you know you can keep up. The coursework isn't alot of fun but I loved all the pratical lessons.

I also took Media :D I absolutely loved it and I'm carrying it on in College in September this year. There is quite a bit of work involved but if you enjoy it then it shouldn't be a problem.

I think you should do Drama as it's a bit more variety and it will give you more options in the long run. You might find taking two lots of media can get a bit much.
I've heard Drama's a really good subject to take, too. But like I said above, I'm just worried due to my confidence levels right now. I've heard Media's really good, too. I'm looking forward to taking it as a subject. But, I guess, if it does contain a fair amount of coursework, then maybe double media would be alot to handle - especially if Food Tech has alot of coursework, too. I don't know though, I mean, all subjects will have coursework, so it's probably a lose lose situation?
+rep.

To be honest media studies is a terrible subject (WJEC)

I'd go with drama, I took both when I was In year 10, I went for all the easy subjects

I ended up getting an A for drama and a C for media studies because I couldn't be bothered
doing all the coursework
I've heard Media's really good, so idk. I'm looking forward to taking it as a subject, to see what it's like, aswell. I've never had it before. I'm just really worried about my confidence levels for Drama, right now. Especially if it involves quite a bit of solo practical work. Does it?
+rep.

not surprised ur anorexic when u see the see the state of ur avatar lol, get a big lass in there. ;)

and yeah, i'd say drama.
lol, it's Taylor Momsen. And idk, it's so confusing.
thanks though, +rep

Soy
12-08-2009, 04:30 PM
If your not confident with acting stupid infront of others then I wouldn't really recommend it.

I'm taking Drama for A level aswel, but I guess I didn't like Media studies because of all the coursework and the 3 1/2 hour exam. It's an easy A* if your willing to put the work in

Kieeran
12-08-2009, 04:59 PM
i got a G in drama its crap we had loaaads of coursework n teacher sed i cudnt be in play at end of year for gcse grade which is stupid

RandomManJay
12-08-2009, 08:40 PM
I didn't take Media Studies in GCSE only in A-Level, but I did take Multimedia which is a lot of Media Studies and I loved it, loved it at A-Level as well, I did take drama though during years 7-8 and hated it.

I would say that if you really enjoyed Drama you should keep it, but if you're more interested in Media and would feel more fulfilled and happy doing it, I would suggest doing choosing that. I know Drama is a bit like Psychology in the aspect that if you're interested in it, you'll enjoy it and not be bored to death by it, but it you don't it's just a waste of time and energy.

vicious
12-08-2009, 09:05 PM
If your not confident with acting stupid infront of others then I wouldn't really recommend it.

I'm taking Drama for A level aswel, but I guess I didn't like Media studies because of all the coursework and the 3 1/2 hour exam. It's an easy A* if your willing to put the work in
exactly. i don't think i'd be confident enough, not while i'm in the state i'm in. and i will be for a while to come i'm guessing, it's most definately not a quick-fix illness. i'm sure i'll have this for a few years to come, so i don't think it's the best subject to take whilst i'm like this. although, alot of friends are taking drama, so it's making me more confused.

i got a G in drama its crap we had loaaads of coursework n teacher sed i cudnt be in play at end of year for gcse grade which is stupid
i didn't know it was even possible to get a G, lol. and it doesn't sound like you enjoyed it at all. i don't know though, i've heard so many good things about it. but thanks.

I didn't take Media Studies in GCSE only in A-Level, but I did take Multimedia which is a lot of Media Studies and I loved it, loved it at A-Level as well, I did take drama though during years 7-8 and hated it.

I would say that if you really enjoyed Drama you should keep it, but if you're more interested in Media and would feel more fulfilled and happy doing it, I would suggest doing choosing that. I know Drama is a bit like Psychology in the aspect that if you're interested in it, you'll enjoy it and not be bored to death by it, but it you don't it's just a waste of time and energy.
oh, multimedia sounds good, too. pretty similar i'm guessing. i've heard media's quite easy from my sister's friend, who used to go to the school i go to now, so that's good. and she really enjoyed it, too, and took media as an A-level subject. i'm really looking forward to taking it as a BTEC, and i just think maybe i should take it as another option, too. while i have the illness i have, i simply don't think drama is the right subject to be taking for me.

although, just so you guys know, my mom did ask if i'd be able to do the theory work in drama instead of the practical while i have my illness, but i don't think it'd be the best way to go about the whole subject for a GCSE.

Zilchozo
13-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Hey, i did drama for GCSE and i really enjoyed it. there is quite a lot of corusework both written and practical but its all good fun. Maybe drama would be a good choice for you to gain some confidence back after your illness but i don't know. I am doing Media for A level and i am really l,ooking forward to it :) the only reason why i didn't do media for GCSE was because it wasn't an option that we could take. I would personally say that doing drama would be best because then your taken three different subjects rather than double media.

Good luck with your choice and i'm sure you can chance your mind on which subject you want a couple of weeks in if you want to.

Amzoe
13-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Depends, it's a tricky choice, I'd probably go for Media Studies (unless you want to be an actor? :rolleyes:)

ToxicMint
13-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Do media, dramas aweful, I had a rubbish teacher when I did it when I started school, she made it worser than it would have been without her.

vicious
13-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Hey, i did drama for GCSE and i really enjoyed it. there is quite a lot of corusework both written and practical but its all good fun. Maybe drama would be a good choice for you to gain some confidence back after your illness but i don't know. I am doing Media for A level and i am really l,ooking forward to it :) the only reason why i didn't do media for GCSE was because it wasn't an option that we could take. I would personally say that doing drama would be best because then your taken three different subjects rather than double media.

Good luck with your choice and i'm sure you can chance your mind on which subject you want a couple of weeks in if you want to.
i've heard it has a fair amount of coursework, although i've heard the same for media and food technology so it's no big deal. i know what you mean, how you said it would be better taking three options instead of two, but i just really don't know. it's going to be a long time until i'm recovered. a few years, atleast. i'm at the worst stage i have ever been right now, as i'm on the verge of hospitalization, so gaining confidence would be so hard, and i think it would be a too tricky subject to take while i'm like this. but i still have my doubts. gosh, this is such a tough decision.
thanks, though. you've made me think. +rep

Depends, it's a tricky choice, I'd probably go for Media Studies (unless you want to be an actor? :rolleyes:)
i used to want to be an actress. i wanted to get into the acting industry, however now i've differed toward journalism. and with the food technology, nutrition is always an option - only if i were recovered, of course. +rep

Do media, dramas aweful, I had a rubbish teacher when I did it when I started school, she made it worser than it would have been without her.
sorry to hear that. but it makes it so tricky, because i mean, that was your experience, and it was a teacher that made you dislike it, not the actual work. +rep

ugh. i need help. guyyys, what should i do?

Samantha.
16-08-2009, 01:54 PM
For Drama, what kind of exam was it that you had? Practical or theory? The thing is, I'd be happy taking Drama, I love acting - it's just that anorexia has completely knocked my confidence and socializing skills, so it's going to make it incredibly hard - I think. I don't know though, I'm still so confused haha. Damn, I hate to hear that Food Tech has alot of coursework. Thanks for letting me know though, I think it's good preperation. What kind of practical lessons did you have? Like, could you choose what to make? etc.
+rep, by the way :)

In food, you got to choose what to make because its part of your coursework and we cooked for fun sometimes but our teacher told us what to cook but that was in like year 10! It's a written exam but 2 of your practical grades go forward, one scripted and one devised and they get put together with your coursework and your exam grade to come out with an overall grade if that makes sense. But for Drama you do need alot of confidence, you have to perform infront of your class mates and maybe a moderator. It also gets filmed on camera.

Soy
16-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Drama WJEC Is easy

40% practical 20% coursework 40% exam

I had two practicals which I got A's in both, then got a B for my coursework and i think A for exam

overall got an A

vicious
16-08-2009, 06:49 PM
In food, you got to choose what to make because its part of your coursework and we cooked for fun sometimes but our teacher told us what to cook but that was in like year 10! It's a written exam but 2 of your practical grades go forward, one scripted and one devised and they get put together with your coursework and your exam grade to come out with an overall grade if that makes sense. But for Drama you do need alot of confidence, you have to perform infront of your class mates and maybe a moderator. It also gets filmed on camera.
oh right, i see. that sounds pretty good to me :) can i ask, just out of curiosity, what did you decide to make in your practical lesson? and are you allowed to choose what kind of dish to make? like sweet or savoury, dessert or main? etc. i think i'm going to go with media studies instead of drama, too. i simply don't have the confidence right now, and besides, i can always take drama out of school.

Drama WJEC Is easy

40% practical 20% coursework 40% exam

I had two practicals which I got A's in both, then got a B for my coursework and i think A for exam

overall got an A
well done for getting an A, haha. thanks for letting me know

Samantha.
16-08-2009, 07:41 PM
oh right, i see. that sounds pretty good to me :) can i ask, just out of curiosity, what did you decide to make in your practical lesson? and are you allowed to choose what kind of dish to make? like sweet or savoury, dessert or main? etc. i think i'm going to go with media studies instead of drama, too. i simply don't have the confidence right now, and besides, i can always take drama out of school.

Good Idea. You do need alot of confidence for Drama! In year 10 i made things like stir fry and pizza just for the fun of it and for my coursework I only made 3 products because I did shoutcourse but for fullcourse you make 5. I made Cheesecake, Brownies and Victoria Sandwich, (all turned out AMAZING.) But at the begining of your coursework you have to state what sort of products you are making either sweet or savory. Yes if you confidence bulids up and you can also do it at college without doing it at GCSE aswell :D

GreenCrayons.
17-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Drama can get harder as it goes on, and boring as my friends have told me, Also it never really leads no where, where as media studies can help you do a bundle of things and it really intresting, and ive never heard anyone complain about media ;)
I'd go for media!

vicious
19-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Good Idea. You do need alot of confidence for Drama! In year 10 i made things like stir fry and pizza just for the fun of it and for my coursework I only made 3 products because I did shoutcourse but for fullcourse you make 5. I made Cheesecake, Brownies and Victoria Sandwich, (all turned out AMAZING.) But at the begining of your coursework you have to state what sort of products you are making either sweet or savory. Yes if you confidence bulids up and you can also do it at college without doing it at GCSE aswell :D
ah i see, thanks for letting me know. i think i'd choose sweet over savoury, as i prefer the baking side of cooking. if you need it, are you given help on practical work? obviously not everyone in the food tech. classes are going to be amazing cooks, so i'd hope so haha. and yeah, that's true about the drama thing. it's definately media studies i'm going for. that's it, haha:)
+rep.

Drama can get harder as it goes on, and boring as my friends have told me, Also it never really leads no where, where as media studies can help you do a bundle of things and it really intresting, and ive never heard anyone complain about media ;)
I'd go for media!
thanks for letting me know. yeah, i think it's media i'm going for. +rep for you:)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!