PDA

View Full Version : Touch phones

Meanies
13-08-2009, 01:20 PM
What're some good ones??

I was looking at the lg cookie (kp501 cus those buttons are better) but didn't like the texting all that much and it seemed pretty much the same on the lg viewty.

Also I don't want to spend too much since id be buying the handset and not on contract
Any other recommendations? :)

StefanWolves
13-08-2009, 01:37 PM
the iPhone is the best touch screen phone you can get, hands down.

Rapidshare
13-08-2009, 01:42 PM
the iPhone is the best touch screen phone you can get, hands down.

Agreed, the best you can get atm.

Meanies
13-08-2009, 02:17 PM
I've already got an ipod touch though :P and aren't they only on o2 anyway, i'm on orange

MrRem
13-08-2009, 02:24 PM
I wouldnt get a touch screen.
Look at a Blackberry Bold.

Jackk
13-08-2009, 02:40 PM
if you get it unlocked you can get it on any network.

StefanWolves
13-08-2009, 02:48 PM
they will be on orange in october. (iphone 3g that is)

Rombix
13-08-2009, 03:06 PM
tbh if you think the iphone is good i recommend the nokia 5800 didnt like it at first but a good decent reliable fone and most of all brill battery (Y)

StefanWolves
13-08-2009, 03:26 PM
it doesn't compare to the iphone or n97 though, dad has the n97, i'd give it 95 out of 100, where as my iphone i'd give a 98, only thing it lacks is proper bluetooth.

Inspiration
13-08-2009, 03:29 PM
it doesn't compare to the iphone or n97 though, dad has the n97, i'd give it 95 out of 100, where as my iphone i'd give a 98, only thing it lacks is proper bluetooth.

Thats the thing that annoys me about my Iphone :(

StefanWolves
13-08-2009, 03:31 PM
But if you jailbreak it, get iBluetooth, you can send picture files then, but that's all, hopefully it will be updated soon so that anything can be sent.

Inspiration
13-08-2009, 03:41 PM
But if you jailbreak it, get iBluetooth, you can send picture files then, but that's all, hopefully it will be updated soon so that anything can be sent.

Yes i miss them days at school when you could send eachother ringtones and vids but with iphone :eusa_wall :P

StefanWolves
13-08-2009, 03:44 PM
you mean pr0n? :P

The Professor
14-08-2009, 11:24 AM
The tocco lite is supposed to be a pretty solid phone, my friend has one and seems pretty content with it. Basically, imo samsung do touch screen phones best aside from apple, so pick any of them :) The new LGs (arena, crystal, viewty smart) are supposed to be an improvement over the cookie/viewty but are still known to freeze up at times and the interface takes some getting used to. They're a bit pricey too

Alkaz
14-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Ye, iPhone is the best out there, no real comparison really.

The Professor
14-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Ye, iPhone is the best out there, no real comparison really.

Tell that to android :)

Meanies
14-08-2009, 12:20 PM
The tocco lite is supposed to be a pretty solid phone, my friend has one and seems pretty content with it. Basically, imo samsung do touch screen phones best aside from apple, so pick any of them :) The new LGs (arena, crystal, viewty smart) are supposed to be an improvement over the cookie/viewty but are still known to freeze up at times and the interface takes some getting used to. They're a bit pricey too

I prefer how the cookie looks over the tocco though :(

&i don't want an iPhone:@

Sunny.
14-08-2009, 12:23 PM
I got the renoir its not bad.

I wish I had the iphone :(

Meanies
14-08-2009, 05:26 PM
I think i'm gna go for the tocco lite :)

StefanWolves
14-08-2009, 05:45 PM
i hate the lg touch screens, they feel cheap, and slow... my brother has the lg viewty, but that could just be because im used to the slickness of an iphone, but that's my opinion anyway.

kk.
14-08-2009, 08:51 PM
have a look at the palm pre, coming out soon but im not sure if its just on contract

GoldenMerc
14-08-2009, 10:07 PM
G1 is pretty gdddd

MrGazet
15-08-2009, 04:31 PM
get a touch phone with qwerty keyboard

The Professor
15-08-2009, 05:00 PM

Unfortunately I don't know any of those on a low budget. As long as the phone isn't laggy (windows mobile ftl) virtual keyboards aren't that bad.

Meanies
15-08-2009, 07:43 PM
have a look at the palm pre, coming out soon but im not sure if its just on contract
my mate was on about that the other day:P

G1 is pretty gdddd
I don't like how that looks :(

i'm happy with an onscreen one which goes qwerty when you rotate:P

I've been looking again and quite like the samsung s5600, but it's £30 more than the tocco lite and has pretty much the same features:(

http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/samsung-s5600-and-s5230-touchwiz-phones.jpg
The S5600 (left) looks so much nicer:(
but is more chunky
so i think i'll stick with the tocco:P

Meanies
15-08-2009, 11:44 PM
I've gone back to liking the s5600 more now:P
and other people like that one more too so i think i'll go for that
it's the same system and stuff as the tocco just i prefer the buttons on it, and it's only 1mm fatter than the tocco, just looked alot more!

kk.
16-08-2009, 12:20 AM
My bro has the tocco original and hates it. Tbh, I've decided that I don't particularly like the samsung home screen design. My i8910 seemed to pull the events out even when there were no events. It seemed to lag a little too. I'd suggest you hav a play with the phone first before you buy it, but, you could just go for it :P

The Professor
16-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Have you considered the tocco ultra? That looks pretty cool.

jackass
16-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Unfortunately I don't know any of those on a low budget. As long as the phone isn't laggy (windows mobile ftl) virtual keyboards aren't that bad.

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/handset/lg_ks360_pink/detail/pay_as_you_go?cid=652&sid=186&pid=0&mid=131 :P

Pretty damn cheap if you ask me! ;)

Meanies
16-08-2009, 03:36 PM
My bro has the tocco original and hates it. Tbh, I've decided that I don't particularly like the samsung home screen design. My i8910 seemed to pull the events out even when there were no events. It seemed to lag a little too. I'd suggest you hav a play with the phone first before you buy it, but, you could just go for it :P
I quite like how it looks! I might go into the shop in town if the weather gets better:@

Have you considered the tocco ultra? That looks pretty cool.
That's gna be too expensive for me:P The lite has all the features i need really. Got my ipod for the internet and stuff!

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/handset/lg_ks360_pink/detail/pay_as_you_go?cid=652&sid=186&pid=0&mid=131 :P

ewww those buttons on the front are ugly!

jackass
16-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Don't know if this is any help, but i'm getting the LG Viewty in a couple of weeks. :)

The Professor
18-08-2009, 11:27 PM

Damn, forgot about that one :P

My mum got a tocco lite yesterday and its a really nice phone, nice and responsive. I plauyed with it for a bit and have no complaints at all tbh. Go for it!

Agnostic Bear
19-08-2009, 10:38 AM

The tocco lite is absolutely horrible, the animation is jaggy, the touching doesn't actually work. I'm getting my mum to return it so I can buy her a 3g 8gb instead.

Meanies
19-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Damn, forgot about that one :P

My mum got a tocco lite yesterday and its a really nice phone, nice and responsive. I plauyed with it for a bit and have no complaints at all tbh. Go for it!

The tocco lite is absolutely horrible, the animation is jaggy, the touching doesn't actually work. I'm getting my mum to return it so I can buy her a 3g 8gb instead.

Must be personal opinion or you're used to more responsive phones:P

I ordered the samsung s5600 last night anyway :)
£139 and I get the phone, £20 HMV voucher, £20 topup and a bluetooth headset :D

Agnostic Bear
19-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Must be personal opinion or you're used to more responsive phones:P

I've used a grand total of 4 touch phones, my iPhone 3GS, the Tocco Lite, a Blackberry Storm and some random nokia, only the storm and the 3GS have good performance, the animation is smooth and the interface is easy to use on both.

I ordered the samsung s5600 last night anyway :)
£139 and I get the phone, £20 HMV voucher, £20 topup and a bluetooth headset :D

'grats on your purchase, hope you have a fabulous time with it :8

Meanies
19-08-2009, 10:54 AM
I've used a grand total of 4 touch phones, my iPhone 3GS, the Tocco Lite, a Blackberry Storm and some random nokia, only the storm and the 3GS have good performance, the animation is smooth and the interface is easy to use on both.

Those are both pretty high-end phones though so you'd expect it to be better, whilst the tocco lite isn't :P

Thanks!

The Professor
19-08-2009, 11:52 AM

The storm has good performance?! Every review I've read slates the phone for its slugglishness! I'll have to take your word for it though because I've never actually used one.

As far as resistive touchscreens go, the tocco lite is as responsive as any I've used and so far I haven't encountered any jerky animation, maybe the one you used had a different firmware version or something? Seems competent to me!

Good luck with your phone :)

StefanWolves
19-08-2009, 03:01 PM
The storm has good performance?! Every review I've read slates the phone for its slugglishness! I'll have to take your word for it though because I've never actually used one.

As far as resistive touchscreens go, the tocco lite is as responsive as any I've used and so far I haven't encountered any jerky animation, maybe the one you used had a different firmware version or something? Seems competent to me!

Good luck with your phone :)

You have obviously never used an iPhone 3G/S, my mom has the Tocco, and it doesn't compare to my iPhone 3G in any way...

The Professor
19-08-2009, 05:03 PM
You have obviously never used an iPhone 3G/S, my mom has the Tocco, and it doesn't compare to my iPhone 3G in any way...

An iPhone has a capacitive touch screen (as does the original tocco actually) so it's bound to be more responsive. Thats why I prefaced the sentence with "as far as resistive touchscreens go" :)

StefanWolves
19-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Oh, fair enough. :P

today
19-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Don't get the pixon, eww

Middlesbrough
22-08-2009, 11:27 PM
The HTC Magic, androids iPhone killer, it has everything an iPhone has and more.

StefanWolves
22-08-2009, 11:30 PM
The HTC Magic, androids iPhone killer, it has everything an iPhone has and more.

cough appstore, 10,000x more things. :P

jackass
22-08-2009, 11:54 PM

People make similar things to those for normal phones all the time!

Middlesbrough
23-08-2009, 01:20 AM

Cough market, copied them all and made new things ;)

VirtualG
23-08-2009, 06:29 AM
Theres a whole archive of good ones(which you can buy) with full specs and everything here: http://www.ohmi.com.au

Recursion
23-08-2009, 08:38 AM
... and a proper camera, and a manufacturer who doesn't lock everything down and remove apps from their app store... and that doesn't lack basic features a lot of phones have had for years now.

The N97 isn't as good as it was thought to be to be honest, If I was you I would probably get a HTC Hero (T-Mobile G2) or MAYBE even an iPhone 3GS (yes I know it conflicts with my argument above).

And at above, considering the iPhone has been out rather a lot longer than any Android phone, of course the App Store would have more apps, which brings me to another point, you don't need a Mac to develop for Android. Now stop arguing you bloody munchkins.

StefanWolves
23-08-2009, 10:26 AM
... and a proper camera, and a manufacturer who doesn't lock everything down and remove apps from their app store... and that doesn't lack basic features a lot of phones have had for years now.

The N97 isn't as good as it was thought to be to be honest, If I was you I would probably get a HTC Hero (T-Mobile G2) or MAYBE even an iPhone 3GS (yes I know it conflicts with my argument above).

And at above, considering the iPhone has been out rather a lot longer than any Android phone, of course the App Store would have more apps, which brings me to another point, you don't need a Mac to develop for Android. Now stop arguing you bloody munchkins.

But I was arguing I was debating your uber munchkin :(

I said Android and AppleOS are the way forward earlier on, and by the way, the AppStore has only been out just over a year. (I think, wasn't it their '1st birthday' not long ago? XD)

And yeah you did contradict yourself. ;)

Recursion
23-08-2009, 11:47 AM
But I was arguing I was debating your uber munchkin :(

That sentence failed in at least two ways ;)

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm42/kzp7/fail_motivator.jpg

StefanWolves
23-08-2009, 12:07 PM
LOL, now I see, my excuse is... erm, It was early, for me. :8

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!