PDA

View Full Version : How does status.twitter.com work?

Jahova
14-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Hello there. Today I was wondering about twitter's status page. It's on a subdomain from their main domain twitter.com and when the main site (twitter.com) is down, status.twitter.com still remains online and fully functioning.

How does this work? Is the subdomain on a different server or what? How could I manage the same thing? Thanks. Tom.

MrRem
14-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Its a subdomain but you update the DNS servers to send people looking for that site to a standalone server.

Its done using nameservers :)

Jahova
14-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Ah. I see, so it is with the DNS of the subdomain. I've never actually seen this done before and I'm unsure how I would also do it :(

Awfy
14-08-2009, 11:01 AM
It's because the subdomain points to an entirely different IP from what the actual site is on. In the example of status.twitter.com it points to a Tumblr account which means if Tumblr is online then so is status.twitter.com.

It's done using A records in your domain manager, if you try it out using a Tumblr account you'll soon understand how it works. They have a tutorial on how to attach your domain to Tumblr (including subdomains) - http://www.tumblr.com/docs/custom_domains.

Jahova
14-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks ;)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!